British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flipping Cold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flipping-cold-373503/)

sky May 14th 2006 10:24 pm

Flipping Cold

In Christchurch today :eek: and I've no wood :scared:
Im sat here in three fleeces lol

There's snow on the mountains and it's looking lovely

sky May 14th 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Flipping Cold

Off out to keep moving and warm :cool:

livewire May 14th 2006 11:06 pm

No snow up here in western Rodney :) but the weather was foul first thing this morning - heavy rain, winds and lightning. My word but winter has arrived with some force this year!

First thing this morning it was 10 degrees but the sun has come out now and things are warming up/drying out quite well.

Not quite got the leccy blankets out of storage.....yet...........

SarahB May 15th 2006 1:25 am

I've lit our log burner for the last 4 nights.... its definately getting colder now. Its so cosy with the log burner going.

Worst thing about this really wet weather is what to do with am active 2 year old boy.... he needs to burn off some energy outside or he doesnt sleep very well. The weather forecast last night said it would get nicer again later on this week.... lets hope they are right. :)

sky May 15th 2006 2:22 am

Hope you're right Sarah :( I even tried typing with gloves on at this pc but I keep hitting the wrong keys lol.
I love log burners too, I wouldn't have any other form of heating now.
The suns out right now :D

SarahB May 15th 2006 2:44 am

The suns out here too but its raining at the same time?! :confused:

We only went out for about 20 minutes this morning to go and feed the pig and chickens at Omana park... rest of the time we have stayed indoors. DS is fast asleep right now all tucked up in his favourite blankets and next to his big fluffy hot water bottle dog.

I'm still trawling through Seek looking for the perfect part time job.

BobK May 15th 2006 3:01 am

Originally Posted by sky
In Christchurch today :eek: and I've no wood :scared:
Im sat here in three fleeces lol

There's snow on the mountains and it's looking lovely

Hi Sky,

I agree, the mountains looked beautiful on Saturday, but then the southerly came in on Sunday and wow did it get cold. Last night we watched telly with the kids, sitting on one duvet with another one on top of us all. We were sat directly under a heat pump and we still froze.

Our new house (we complete on Friday) in Rangiora has a wood burner, hoorah, Can't wait.

Trouble is we don't have any wood yet...

cheers

Bob

Batty May 15th 2006 4:51 am

We've got two dehumidifiers and the log burner and at the weekends the house is toasty warm - not looking foward to getting home this evening when there's been no heat all day :( However, we got a fan thingy in the bathroom on Saturday and we've got insulation in the walls :D Pink batts. We were told that it was there but I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas and like to see with my own eyes. OMG - I can't imagine how cold it would be without it :scared:

MV5555 May 15th 2006 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Batty
We've got two dehumidifiers and the log burner and at the weekends the house is toasty warm - not looking foward to getting home this evening when there's been no heat all day :( However, we got a fan thingy in the bathroom on Saturday and we've got insulation in the walls :D Pink batts. We were told that it was there but I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas and like to see with my own eyes. OMG - I can't imagine how cold it would be without it :scared:

OMG a year with no summer its just starting to get warm in the UK and im gone some said to me the other day ooooooooo your going somewhere nice and warm i said r u mad it going to br winter when i get there packing the fleeces lol........they just looked at me :eek:

sky May 15th 2006 7:24 am

I don't think Hamilton is quite so bad, I have a friend there and they said it's cold but it won't be as bad as Ch.ch.

I have this evil fire I've decided lol it just refused to light this afternoon and I only just got it smouldering by late afternoon. Im sure it knows it's the coldest day of the year!
Course it didn't help that I was trying to light it with two sheets of newspaper, five pieces of wet wood and soaking wet coal I'd just bought from the petrol station :(
Not very prepared for the winter was I :D

sky May 15th 2006 7:26 am

Originally Posted by BobK
Hi Sky,

I agree, the mountains looked beautiful on Saturday, but then the southerly came in on Sunday and wow did it get cold. Last night we watched telly with the kids, sitting on one duvet with another one on top of us all. We were sat directly under a heat pump and we still froze.

Our new house (we complete on Friday) in Rangiora has a wood burner, hoorah, Can't wait.

Trouble is we don't have any wood yet...

cheers

Bob

Rangiora is cool, you'll like it lots!
We live in Ashley for the mo but are moving soon. Not far though cos I love the area :D

thebears May 15th 2006 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Batty

Imagine living in a (small) caravan on the back of a small farm out the back of Waikato. That was my university digs.

Sleeped in my Swanni

Kiwi

SarahB May 15th 2006 9:47 am

The weather forecast said it was 14 degrees here today..... I'm turning into a right wimp as I found it cold. Cant believe that 2 weeks ago me and DS were down on the beach building sandcastles and it was lovely and warm.

We need some sunny weather back again. :D Forecasters predicting a high pressure over us this week so lets hope they are right. :)

sky May 15th 2006 9:58 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
The weather forecast said it was 14 degrees here today..... I'm turning into a right wimp as I found it cold. Cant believe that 2 weeks ago me and DS were down on the beach building sandcastles and it was lovely and warm.

We need some sunny weather back again. :D Forecasters predicting a high pressure over us this week so lets hope they are right. :)

Yep I was sunning myself in the garden a couple of weeks ago and the garden was completely parched :scared:

It was 9 degrees in Christchurch today the weather forecaster was saying :eek:

sky May 15th 2006 10:00 am

Was talking to the inlaws in Sumner earlier though on Skype and they said they were sick of all the flies .... I said they must have all migrated to warmer climates cos we def didn't have any here today and we normally have loads with living rural