British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flipping birth certificate probs again??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flipping-birth-certificate-probs-again-705300/)

clairepete Feb 13th 2011 10:02 pm

Flipping birth certificate probs again???

Hi all,

I'm starting to get a bit worried about applying for NZ because of my birth certificate.

When I was about 5 my Mum got married (not to my natural father) and just decided to change my surname to his. Not done by deed poll.

I had no knowledge of this until I got to about 20 yrs old and applied for a passport. It wasn't a major problem, I just submitted a letter saying what had happened and why my surname was different. Had a similar problem when I got married too.

I am worried that immigration WILL have a major problem with this though. I can't get my Mum to sign any kind of declaration as she no longer talks to me and would refuse to do it, simply because she is not a very nice person.

Has anyone come across anything like this before. I need reassuring if you can because it's starting to worry me. :(

janiejones Feb 14th 2011 2:11 am

Re: Flipping birth certificate probs again???

I had a similar thing, but with my first name. You can go to a solicitor, and get them to draft a declaration that says that you known by x name, rather than y name. I forget what it was called, but it won't be too expensive. Ask the solicitor for a few copies, as they will ome in handy at a later date.

chillyed Feb 14th 2011 4:21 am

i couldnt tell you were my birth certificate is i assume my old dear has it somewhere safe. do you actually need to submit it? :confused: i got here without it

BEVS Feb 14th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by chillyed (Post 9174550)
i couldnt tell you were my birth certificate is i assume my old dear has it somewhere safe. do you actually need to submit it? :confused: i got here without it

How.

Am Loolah Feb 14th 2011 8:34 am

There should be a way round this. I had to show 2 birth certificates as I am adopted, and also had to do this when I wanted to change my passport to my married name.

My ex changed his name by deed poll when he was 18 but lost the documents. He managed to get a sworn statement from a lawyer alongside his original birth certificate with his old name on it for his new passport.

Pretty sure if you explain the situation to NZIS they'll have a solution.:fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 14th 2011 7:26 pm

Couldn't you order a new birth certificate, you can do it on-line from www.gro.gov.uk

simonsi Feb 14th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by chillyed (Post 9174550)

AFAIK it is a requirement to submit an original or certified copy with any work permit application.....so you must have had one??? :confused:

chillyed Feb 15th 2011 8:34 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9176324)
AFAIK it is a requirement to submit an original or certified copy with any work permit application.....so you must have had one??? :confused:

na it ain't :rofl:

submitted my passport and that was it got a WTR visa last november

BEVS Feb 15th 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by chillyed (Post 9177367)
na it ain't

give details

jennifer45 Feb 15th 2011 10:50 am

your app. was maybe checked by the ????? doh???? staff!
Think they've been sacked.
All I recall is having to submit, mine, my OH's, my eldest son's and my youngest son's ,[all originals or paid for, certified copies.]+ passports and police certs and references from my 'daily' and milkman! :frown:
Forgive me! the latter I post in Jest I had neither!

It really isn't a joking matter. I am really surprised you were granted a visa w/o needing to show a birth cert.:blink:

simonsi Feb 15th 2011 6:59 pm

Hmmm, well we did in June 2010 for a WTR application and having just received our ITA for residency they are requested again so be prepared, you'll need one, if you are in any doubt check the "lodgement requirements" for a Residency application....;)

clairepete Feb 15th 2011 7:10 pm

Should I get sorted now and see a solictor or wait until they query it?
What is it that I am actually asking the solicitor for?

simonsi Feb 15th 2011 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by clairepete (Post 9178695)
Should I get sorted now and see a solictor or wait until they query it?
What is it that I am actually asking the solicitor for?

I would start with just a "statutory declaration" by you explaining the circumstances and get that stamped/signed/witnessed by a solicitor (they can advise on the wording I dare say), and submit that with your passport and bc.

clairepete Feb 15th 2011 7:34 pm

Any idea of the cost of this please?

simonsi Feb 15th 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by clairepete (Post 9178764)
Any idea of the cost of this please?

Nope but a stat dec for this sort of known-by-another-name circumstances I would think would be fairly standard/quick/cheap for a solcitor to do, they should be able to fix a price with you over the phone.