Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flipping birth certificate probs again???

Flipping birth certificate probs again???

Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

clairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really nice
Default Flipping birth certificate probs again???

Hi all,

I'm starting to get a bit worried about applying for NZ because of my birth certificate.

When I was about 5 my Mum got married (not to my natural father) and just decided to change my surname to his. Not done by deed poll.

I had no knowledge of this until I got to about 20 yrs old and applied for a passport. It wasn't a major problem, I just submitted a letter saying what had happened and why my surname was different. Had a similar problem when I got married too.

I am worried that immigration WILL have a major problem with this though. I can't get my Mum to sign any kind of declaration as she no longer talks to me and would refuse to do it, simply because she is not a very nice person.

Has anyone come across anything like this before. I need reassuring if you can because it's starting to worry me.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flipping birth certificate probs again???

I had a similar thing, but with my first name. You can go to a solicitor, and get them to draft a declaration that says that you known by x name, rather than y name. I forget what it was called, but it won't be too expensive. Ask the solicitor for a few copies, as they will ome in handy at a later date.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:21 am
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road

i couldnt tell you were my birth certificate is i assume my old dear has it somewhere safe. do you actually need to submit it? i got here without it
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by chillyed
i couldnt tell you were my birth certificate is i assume my old dear has it somewhere safe. do you actually need to submit it? i got here without it
How.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

There should be a way round this. I had to show 2 birth certificates as I am adopted, and also had to do this when I wanted to change my passport to my married name.

My ex changed his name by deed poll when he was 18 but lost the documents. He managed to get a sworn statement from a lawyer alongside his original birth certificate with his old name on it for his new passport.

Pretty sure if you explain the situation to NZIS they'll have a solution.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you order a new birth certificate, you can do it on-line from www.gro.gov.uk

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Feb 14th 2011 at 7:27 pm. Reason: Link didn't appear.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:12 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK it is a requirement to submit an original or certified copy with any work permit application.....so you must have had one???
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:34 am
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by simonsi
AFAIK it is a requirement to submit an original or certified copy with any work permit application.....so you must have had one???
na it ain't

submitted my passport and that was it got a WTR visa last november
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

na it ain't

give details
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

na it ain't

your app. was maybe checked by the ????? doh???? staff!
Think they've been sacked.
All I recall is having to submit, mine, my OH's, my eldest son's and my youngest son's ,[all originals or paid for, certified copies.]+ passports and police certs and references from my 'daily' and milkman!
Forgive me! the latter I post in Jest I had neither!

It really isn't a joking matter. I am really surprised you were granted a visa w/o needing to show a birth cert.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:59 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

na it ain't

Hmmm, well we did in June 2010 for a WTR application and having just received our ITA for residency they are requested again so be prepared, you'll need one, if you are in any doubt check the "lodgement requirements" for a Residency application....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

clairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really niceclairepete is just really nice

Should I get sorted now and see a solictor or wait until they query it?
What is it that I am actually asking the solicitor for?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by clairepete
Should I get sorted now and see a solictor or wait until they query it?
What is it that I am actually asking the solicitor for?
I would start with just a "statutory declaration" by you explaining the circumstances and get that stamped/signed/witnessed by a solicitor (they can advise on the wording I dare say), and submit that with your passport and bc.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Any idea of the cost of this please?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:58 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by clairepete
Any idea of the cost of this please?
Nope but a stat dec for this sort of known-by-another-name circumstances I would think would be fairly standard/quick/cheap for a solcitor to do, they should be able to fix a price with you over the phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.