Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights via LA? ......

Flights via LA? ......

Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:44 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice
Default Flights via LA? ......

Hi there

Just about to book our flights from LHR via LA so we can have a little holiday with Mickey Mouse. (Not telling the kids yet, were excited so God know what the kids will do if we tell them now )

Has anyone got experience of traveling this route? Looking for any advice and what to expect really, any do and don't etc. Also does anyone have any recommendations about accommodation outside Disneyland preferably a villa.
We are travelling with 3 kids age 4,3 and 1.

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jackie
p.s using OH log on as my computer has crashed. Prob blown it up doing so much research.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flights via LA? ......

As you get off the plane, just take a deep breath and ready yourself to long queues, grumpy staff, being shouted at, and stupid questions.

Welcome yourself to the home of democracy and freedom!!

Hope you have a fantastic time at DLand, the kids will love it. Sorry no advice on accommodation, I'm sure you can't go wrong staying near/on site.

Then as you prepare to transit through the biggest whole on the planet again, just vow to yourself "never again" and visit Dland Hong Kong next time!!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:20 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Hi there Owen

That sounds like fun is this the normal response?
Has everyone had the same warm welcome?
We will look forward to that experience ...... NOT
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

You shouldn't have too much of a hard time as you are not in transit (an term the Americans don't really comprehend).

You will be fine as long as you don't say ANYTHING!
Attempts at humour will be lost on them and you will not get in to the old red, white and blue.
Don't look at the guards.
Don't look at or comment on the guards guns.
Don't go over the white line before your turn.
Don't question anything!
Keep your children VERY quiet - americans don't like children (lets hope they eventually realise how they are made and stop reproducing!)
Be prepared to be quized about your line of work (I said I was a CFD and Currency Trader and when asked what stocks I would recommend, he got very irrate when I said I wasn't a stockbroker - in the end had to give him a run down on stocks I knew!)
Don't give the impression you are only there as a stopover on the way to somewhere better.
No sarcastic comments about democracy, freedom, Americans, or anything else that might make them think you are not 100% eternally grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity to visit the greatest country on Earth!

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
As you get off the plane, just take a deep breath and ready yourself to long queues, grumpy staff, being shouted at, and stupid questions.

Welcome yourself to the home of democracy and freedom!!

Hope you have a fantastic time at DLand, the kids will love it. Sorry no advice on accommodation, I'm sure you can't go wrong staying near/on site.

Then as you prepare to transit through the biggest whole on the planet again, just vow to yourself "never again" and visit Dland Hong Kong next time!!!
Hmm, went to Disneyland HK a few weeks ago - kids (under age 5) loved it, but I dont think its that special. Ocean Park is better I think., has more attractions and variety.
I wouldnt take older kids to HK Disneyland.

I agree about Los Angeles. - great for a very short visit!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only going for a day or two in Disneyland, don't bother driving or picking up a rental. Get seats on a shuttle to take you to straight to your hotel in Anaheim. If you are doing other things then presumably driving is a good idea. But I have no idea about that.

Not sure if you want recommendations for hotels but seeing as nobody really walks, and the nippers will probably be tired, if you don't want to stay in one of the Disney owned hotels then get one as close to the gate as possible. A friend of mine stayed at the Anabella Hotel (really a motel) and found it quite central for the park.

I agree with keeping the kids quiet and in line. If anything it will make you less stressed and better able to answer questions without being ratty and tired!

Oh, don't look for security cameras in the airport. My grandfather used to do that as a matter of course and got asked to "step over here sir" in nearly every major airport he ever went through (Atlanta, LAX, Dulles, LHR, CDG etc etc". He was just a curious wee thing though.

Finally, one thing that all immigration officers (NZ, Australia, UK and USA anyway) are told to do is look at the level of luggage you are carrying as it can be an indicator that the passenger is intending to remain in the country longer than they say they are. If it appears you are carrying more than normal for a holiday they almost certainly will notice it. I carried around 70kg with me and they definitely queried it. They did ask me why I didn't post most of it and my answer of "it was going to cost £150 and I would rather spend that at Disneyland" certainly made the guy laugh. And, he believed me obviously as he didn't ask me to open the bag. Point is though, he did query it.

Just be honest and try not to show it when you are annoyed at a question
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi there Owen

That sounds like fun is this the normal response?
Has everyone had the same warm welcome?
We will look forward to that experience ...... NOT
Its alright, things will definately improve when you get to NZ!!

AKL airport knows how to treat people better, even free coffee in the arrivals hall
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
AKL airport knows how to treat people better, even free coffee in the arrivals hall

Where ??!! (must be cr*p coffee though ) I've never seen it !

Yankees treat you better when you on NZ passport (than Brit) ? anybody agree this?

been to DL 20 years ago, so can't help you.......sorry about that....... I rarely go to LA anyway....... usually via S.F or Vancouver

btw my parents had the worst experience in LA airport

- better avoid

xx

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 11th 2008 at 8:21 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We flew LA when we went on Holiday to NZ - never again! but if you're going to see Mickey, I expect you will be able to put up with it for the short time you will be there.

As for accommodation, I take it from your location and the lovely picture of a Red, you are Military, if so, have you tried the Focus newspaper, there are usually lots of villas for rent in there or even the mod forces discount online will give you a few hints.

I used to love watching the Reds practice from my veranda at breakfast time, they still give me a buzz.

Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Where ??!! (must be cr*p coffee though ) I've never seen it !

xx
The flasks were on your right as you entered the baggage carousel (sp?).

I'll admit it wasn't great coffee but it passed the time away waiting for my cases.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:04 am
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice

We stopped off in LA for 5 days and had a great time.
We had no problems at the airport,we had 6 large cases which a porter took care of.
Because we had lots of cases we hired a limo to the hotel which didn't cost much more than other modes of transport quoted.
We stayed at Sheraton Park Hotel just across the road from disney which was great.
Despite the traffic we hired a car and had a fantastic time visiting all the sights and beaches.
We we're nearly put off staying in La from what we had read on this forum but we are so glad we did.
Hope you have a fab time.

We're now living in Nelson and loving it.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Some very strange negative comments there! - I would say do it - We've been via LA twice on the way back to NZ - easy as both times, and I thought the airport immigration were pleasant enough - having young kids helps (go to front of queue etc), but I've also done it on my own as I can't see the problem myself (flown through Bangkok recently?!)

Last time we rented a nice house in Anaheim (with a pool/spa and only 5 mins from Disney) for a week and then drove to San Fran for a few days before flying home. Driving around was fine (a bit of a waste if you're just going from airport to Disney and back though), although the NeverLost system we had in the Hertz rental was very handy!

Matt

Last edited by MattH; Sep 12th 2008 at 9:52 am.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:28 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Hi there

Thanks everybody for the useful info on your experiences.

Hello Teebrown we are in the RAF have PM loads of time this is my husbands log in, mine is mum-dad-3-little people. Don't get my laptop out during the day as kids just press all the keys while i'm trying to type

Hi MattH thanks for you input, just out of curiosity what was the name of the place you were staying in Anahiem? Where looking at booking this evening and have seen a couple but a recommendation would be good. Were going to hire a car as we want to explore a bit to not just overdose on Mickey

Thanks for your advice Heal, its lovely to hear everyone's adventures I think the Sheraton and a Limo are a bit out of our budget though. But your right, were not going to let anyone put us off, just like to know what to expect.

But thanks everyone for your help. Please keep it coming
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

We stayed here last time: http://www.vrbo.com/126904 - although there are plenty of others on that site too.

We drove around a bit (2 days at Disney was enough with small ones!), although we spent the first few days chilling by the house heated pool

Have fun!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi there

Thanks everybody for the useful info on your experiences.

Hello Teebrown we are in the RAF have PM loads of time this is my husbands log in, mine is mum-dad-3-little people. Don't get my laptop out during the day as kids just press all the keys while i'm trying to type

Hi MattH thanks for you input, just out of curiosity what was the name of the place you were staying in Anahiem? Where looking at booking this evening and have seen a couple but a recommendation would be good. Were going to hire a car as we want to explore a bit to not just overdose on Mickey

Thanks for your advice Heal, its lovely to hear everyone's adventures I think the Sheraton and a Limo are a bit out of our budget though. But your right, were not going to let anyone put us off, just like to know what to expect.

But thanks everyone for your help. Please keep it coming

Ahh hello Jackie, thought there were alot of people coming from Cyprus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.