Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights to the UK best options - first trip back to the old "home"

Flights to the UK best options - first trip back to the old "home"

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights to the UK best options - first trip back to the old "home"

We are planning our first trip back to the UK for next July (Mrs has bridesmaid duties). Has anyone got any tips about the best route / prices for flights?

I'd love a stopover somewhere for a couple days on the way out or back to break the journey but due to our accrued holiday limitations and the amount of family we need to get round in the UK & Spain during the first visit home in 3 years, as well as the wedding, we may have to go non stop to maximise the family time.

Thought about heading to OZ on a Tasman fare and going from SYD or maybe via Singapore from AKL. Are there any other routes worth considering or tips for the best price as everything we've looked at so far seems horrific!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to the UK best options - first trip back to the old "home"

Best I can find is $2408 via www.jetabroad.co.nz.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Best I can find is $2408 via www.jetabroad.co.nz.
unless it's a really really dodgy airline that's a very good price!

Jan
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Try looking at STA travel. They had some really good deals the other day.
I am flying on the 9 July returning 26 July to Manchester with Emirates and is costing approx $2700. Bit expensive I think but was what was on offer at the time.

It was only after buying the tickets I saw an advert about STA. Worth a try.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

try expedia and play around with options
you can double the price depending on whether your stopover is on the outbound or inbound sometimes.
Be flexible about aiports too
And dedicate some time to it.

Yesterday on expedia, it was offering
Auckland - 2 days SHanghai - Norwich
Norwich 2 days Amsterdam Auckland for $5000 for an adult and an 11 year old.
Could have done this even cheaper but want to fly to Norwich for ease
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I have just paid 2,700 with singapore airlines for July 2013. a fairly direct flight time of 27 hours. Some of the cheaper airlines would have been up to 47 hours. On the way back I do have 7 hours to kill in Singapore so will either do the city tour or head up to the airport pool for a swim, sleep and shower.
Kaz
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Try skyscanner.
Just come back from UK my second visit in more than 9 years.

Gill
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

If you have no problem going via Germany try Lufthansa.

We flew back last Christmas with them for $2250 each, which at Xmas is a bargain! They have an option where you can pick each leg of the route seperately, it took a bit of time and some playing around with various routes but we finally came up with flights via San Francisco and Munich.

The Auckland - San Fran leg is with Air NZ as they're part of Star Alliance so thats an added bonus.

Whichever option you choose though find the cheapest quote online and then take it into your nearest flight centre - they will beat the quote by a dollar and give you flight centre vouchers (think it was $100 per person) which can be used on travel insurance
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
unless it's a really really dodgy airline that's a very good price!

Jan
It was Air NZ/Swiss out and Austrian/Air NZ back
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

We found Air Malaysia were BY FAR the cheapest, and plenty of friends flown with them. AKL to Kuala Lumpur 10 hours .
Kuala to Heathrow 13 hours......2 hour transit......suits me sir !!!!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:10 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We've booked Air NZ premium both ways cos they serve copious amounts of red wine on request.
Stopping in San Fran on the way back for my birthday. I've been a couple of times before, but Haze's first......she's a bit excited.
Apparently the Virgin leg is upgraded to first as they have no premium, least thats what our tickets say at the mo.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by babybella
I have just paid 2,700 with singapore airlines for July 2013. a fairly direct flight time of 27 hours. Some of the cheaper airlines would have been up to 47 hours. On the way back I do have 7 hours to kill in Singapore so will either do the city tour or head up to the airport pool for a swim, sleep and shower.
Kaz
I'l second what Kaz says.
Ive done the same trip 4 times. You only get a 7 hour stop one way and a 1 hour stop when you come back which is always good.
The flight goes ChCh-SING-HRW. As easy as that.. Singapore airlines are one of the best imao.. Xmas time it costs me 3.300 ish.. so 2.700 is a good price. It's worth paying a little extra if you have to just to have a short flying time and no changes etc..
Gary.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:15 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We've booked Air NZ premium both ways cos they serve copious amounts of red wine on request.
Stopping in San Fran on the way back for my birthday. I've been a couple of times before, but Haze's first......she's a bit excited.
Apparently the Virgin leg is upgraded to first as they have no premium, least thats what our tickets say at the mo.
Not everyone can afford premium let alone fly back to the uk numerous times. I think the op was looking for cheap bargains

Anyway lucky you!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:35 am
Just Joined

KarenG53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz
We found Air Malaysia were BY FAR the cheapest, and plenty of friends flown with them. AKL to Kuala Lumpur 10 hours .
Kuala to Heathrow 13 hours......2 hour transit......suits me sir !!!!
The Flight Centre do offer the best deals around
I've been going back to the UK 3yrly since moving here 9 yrs ago...
2012: this should of been my year to go back but as the Olympics were on the airfares sky rocketed!!!
so will soon be searching for a flight back next July and Air Malaysia will be first on the list...
2009: I flew with Air Malaysia excellent service and cheapest around at the time and they fed you lovely food and always had a smile
2006: flew with Qantas again excellent service a bit pricey
2003: Korean airlines basic service didn't think much to food either but was cheap
2003: flew air New Zealand good service but very pricey
I never think about stopping off anywhere on route the reason to travel is to see and spend precious time with my loved ones...
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:46 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
I think the op was looking for cheap bargains
The post actually asks for best options.
We just saved for eighteen months to avoid cattle class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.