Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights from NZ to UK

Flights from NZ to UK

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:30 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Vale of Glamorgan
Posts: 268
sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Question Flights from NZ to UK

We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:
sarahw is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:12 pm
  #2  
Glasgow
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 72
Andy1l has a brilliant futureAndy1l has a brilliant futureAndy1l has a brilliant futureAndy1l has a brilliant futureAndy1l has a brilliant futureAndy1l has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:
Auckland to Glasgow
http://hometown.aol.com/flyscotland/airportakl.html

Have you tried Emirates or KLM?
Andy1l is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:14 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Liz & Co's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: On the Beach - Mount Maunganui
Posts: 239
Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:
www.houseoftravel.co.nz have some very good prices
Liz & Co is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:43 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 68
Dave in Auckland will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

OK, the 2 absolute best places to look for the cheapest flights, without doubt are;

www.zuji.co.nz - and choose the "flexible date option" that gives you the widest range & cheapest flights without having to pick an exact date, a one day change can save hundreds

www.itchyfeet.co.nz, cheap, cheap, cheap & always have the best airline offers
Dave in Auckland is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:39 pm
  #5  
CockneyLass
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 204
dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:
I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no such thing as a cheap flight back to the UK. I think you will find it practically impossible to fly back for less than $2,000 pp. A lot of travel agents will advertise for $1700 or $1800 may be but remember there will always be taxes and extras added onto that and that could easily be an extra $300 to $400 which will bring it over $2,000Also the cheaper the airline, the more stops you are likely to do and the longer it will take as well. As has been recommended itchy feet are good but I am willing to put money on you wont find anything for less than $2,000 all up and I'm sorry, I dont think that is cheap. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but that is just the way it is here with flights. I dont think any flights out of NZ are cheap! Sorry.
dazal is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:42 pm
  #6  
Happy in Wellington
 
RobClubley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Tawa, Wellington, Aotearoa
Posts: 2,283
RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

All the prices I've been quoted are around the $2200 mark including taxes.
I'm told that you can save $200-300 if you buy in in the sales in April and October.

Thinking about it, the prices aren't that bad really - $2000 to travel 24000 miles.
My mate is paying GBP750 to fly to NZ and back in December.
Then again our one-way flights to NZ via Hong Kong cost GBP330

Last edited by RobClubley; Mar 22nd 2007 at 11:33 pm.
RobClubley is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:05 pm
  #7  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by dazal View Post
I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no such thing as a cheap flight back to the UK. I think you will find it practically impossible to fly back for less than $2,000 pp. A lot of travel agents will advertise for $1700 or $1800 may be but remember there will always be taxes and extras added onto that and that could easily be an extra $300 to $400 which will bring it over $2,000Also the cheaper the airline, the more stops you are likely to do and the longer it will take as well. As has been recommended itchy feet are good but I am willing to put money on you wont find anything for less than $2,000 all up and I'm sorry, I dont think that is cheap. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but that is just the way it is here with flights. I dont think any flights out of NZ are cheap! Sorry.
Note to self....hide this thread so husband doesn't see it as it'll one more thing for him to put on his 'reasons why we shouldn't move to NZ list'!!!!
Mandie is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:30 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Back in NZ & loving it - living in Orewa
Posts: 1,183
lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Depends what you mean by cheap. The first return trip UK-NZ-UK I did after staring my extended OE cost me £810 and I thought that was a good deal...in 1986 (when £815 was worth more than it is now). You'd be lucky to get a return from UK to NZ for less than £800, or $2200 even now. I guess the difference is that average earnings are lower here, so it seems more. We're planning a visit to UK next year for 2 adults plus 2 kids and I'm working on it costing at least $10k all up.
lapsed kiwi is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:35 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 716
brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi View Post
Depends what you mean by cheap. The first return trip UK-NZ-UK I did after staring my extended OE cost me £810 and I thought that was a good deal...in 1986 (when £815 was worth more than it is now). You'd be lucky to get a return from UK to NZ for less than £800, or $2200 even now. I guess the difference is that average earnings are lower here, so it seems more. We're planning a visit to UK next year for 2 adults plus 2 kids and I'm working on it costing at least $10k all up.
2000 NZD , that is the average disposal money (after essentials) in NZ for 2 years. XMas, July and August are peaks period for flying, best avoided !
brussels_sprout is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:06 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Back in NZ & loving it - living in Orewa
Posts: 1,183
lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout View Post
2000 NZD , that is the average disposal money (after essentials) in NZ for 2 years. XMas, July and August are peaks period for flying, best avoided !
?? what do you mean by the "average disposal money" ??
lapsed kiwi is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:12 am
  #11  
Susie..
 
Andrew Cross's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,531
Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Usually the earlier you book it, the cheaper it is. I just got a last minute ticket for my son to come to Christchurch from Heathrow and it cost me $2362.00...

Could have got him a stand-by ticket for a quarter of that but I couldn't guarantee him a seat and wanted him to just to get here with no problems as its an awful long way...

Been a year since I have seen him and cant wait, roll on Saturday morning.
Andrew Cross is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:08 am
  #12  
CockneyLass
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 204
dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by Mandie.H View Post
Note to self....hide this thread so husband doesn't see it as it'll one more thing for him to put on his 'reasons why we shouldn't move to NZ list'!!!!
Sorry, my apologies! Dont want to put anyone off coming to lovely NZ Expensive flights is one of my bugbears!
dazal is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:11 am
  #13  
You call that a moustache
 
ex_exile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Heading West..
Posts: 2,060
ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by dazal View Post
Sorry, my apologies! Dont want to put anyone off coming to lovely NZ Expensive flights is one of my bugbears!
Could be cheaper to book trans tasman then buy the long haul from sydney. Bestflights.com.au always has good deals.
ex_exile is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
  #14  
conquering the world!
 
karonious's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puatahanui, Porirua
Posts: 4,905
karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross View Post
Usually the earlier you book it, the cheaper it is. I just got a last minute ticket for my son to come to Christchurch from Heathrow and it cost me $2362.00...

Could have got him a stand-by ticket for a quarter of that but I couldn't guarantee him a seat and wanted him to just to get here with no problems as its an awful long way...

Been a year since I have seen him and cant wait, roll on Saturday morning.
It must be brilliant, that feeling of anticipation when you haven't seen him for so long .
I haven't seen my 3 sons for 6 months but still in the NZ honeymoon phase so haven't really started to miss them loads yet. I have a HUGE photo of all of us in the living room so I 'speak' to them every day!
Karma for you reunion
karonious is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,038
Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross View Post
Been a year since I have seen him and cant wait, roll on Saturday morning.
Enjoy!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder karma coming your way.
Nice Guy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.