British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flights from NZ to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flights-nz-uk-436611/)

sarahw Mar 22nd 2007 7:30 pm

Flights from NZ to UK

We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:

Andy1l Mar 22nd 2007 8:12 pm

Re: Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by sarahw (Post 4548447)
We're due to go back to UK in July for a couple of weddings. Does anyone know of any good flight deals as it all seems ridiculously expensive compared to booking a return flight from the UK!!?

Not interested in flights through US due to hating the immigration hassles!!:curse:

Auckland to Glasgow
http://hometown.aol.com/flyscotland/airportakl.html

Have you tried Emirates or KLM?

Liz & Co Mar 22nd 2007 8:14 pm

www.houseoftravel.co.nz have some very good prices

Dave in Auckland Mar 22nd 2007 8:43 pm

OK, the 2 absolute best places to look for the cheapest flights, without doubt are;

www.zuji.co.nz - and choose the "flexible date option" that gives you the widest range & cheapest flights without having to pick an exact date, a one day change can save hundreds

www.itchyfeet.co.nz, cheap, cheap, cheap & always have the best airline offers

dazal Mar 22nd 2007 10:39 pm

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no such thing as a cheap flight back to the UK. I think you will find it practically impossible to fly back for less than $2,000 pp. A lot of travel agents will advertise for $1700 or $1800 may be but remember there will always be taxes and extras added onto that and that could easily be an extra $300 to $400 which will bring it over $2,000Also the cheaper the airline, the more stops you are likely to do and the longer it will take as well. As has been recommended itchy feet are good but I am willing to put money on you wont find anything for less than $2,000 all up and I'm sorry, I dont think that is cheap. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but that is just the way it is here with flights. I dont think any flights out of NZ are cheap! Sorry. :ohmy:

RobClubley Mar 22nd 2007 10:42 pm

All the prices I've been quoted are around the $2200 mark including taxes.
I'm told that you can save $200-300 if you buy in in the sales in April and October.

Thinking about it, the prices aren't that bad really - $2000 to travel 24000 miles.
My mate is paying GBP750 to fly to NZ and back in December.
Then again our one-way flights to NZ via Hong Kong cost GBP330

Mandie Mar 22nd 2007 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by dazal (Post 4549135)
I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no such thing as a cheap flight back to the UK. I think you will find it practically impossible to fly back for less than $2,000 pp. A lot of travel agents will advertise for $1700 or $1800 may be but remember there will always be taxes and extras added onto that and that could easily be an extra $300 to $400 which will bring it over $2,000Also the cheaper the airline, the more stops you are likely to do and the longer it will take as well. As has been recommended itchy feet are good but I am willing to put money on you wont find anything for less than $2,000 all up and I'm sorry, I dont think that is cheap. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but that is just the way it is here with flights. I dont think any flights out of NZ are cheap! Sorry. :ohmy:

:eek: Note to self....hide this thread so husband doesn't see it as it'll one more thing for him to put on his 'reasons why we shouldn't move to NZ list'!!!!

lapsed kiwi Mar 23rd 2007 1:30 am

Depends what you mean by cheap. The first return trip UK-NZ-UK I did after staring my extended OE cost me £810 and I thought that was a good deal...in 1986 (when £815 was worth more than it is now). You'd be lucky to get a return from UK to NZ for less than £800, or $2200 even now. I guess the difference is that average earnings are lower here, so it seems more. We're planning a visit to UK next year for 2 adults plus 2 kids and I'm working on it costing at least $10k all up.

brussels_sprout Mar 23rd 2007 2:35 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 4549724)
Depends what you mean by cheap. The first return trip UK-NZ-UK I did after staring my extended OE cost me £810 and I thought that was a good deal...in 1986 (when £815 was worth more than it is now). You'd be lucky to get a return from UK to NZ for less than £800, or $2200 even now. I guess the difference is that average earnings are lower here, so it seems more. We're planning a visit to UK next year for 2 adults plus 2 kids and I'm working on it costing at least $10k all up.

2000 NZD , that is the average disposal money (after essentials) in NZ for 2 years. XMas, July and August are peaks period for flying, best avoided !

lapsed kiwi Mar 23rd 2007 4:06 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 4549935)
2000 NZD , that is the average disposal money (after essentials) in NZ for 2 years. XMas, July and August are peaks period for flying, best avoided !

?? what do you mean by the "average disposal money" ??

Andrew Cross Mar 23rd 2007 4:12 am

Usually the earlier you book it, the cheaper it is. I just got a last minute ticket for my son to come to Christchurch from Heathrow and it cost me $2362.00...:(

Could have got him a stand-by ticket for a quarter of that but I couldn't guarantee him a seat and wanted him to just to get here with no problems as its an awful long way...

Been a year since I have seen him and cant wait, roll on Saturday morning. :D

dazal Mar 23rd 2007 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Mandie.H (Post 4549240)
:eek: Note to self....hide this thread so husband doesn't see it as it'll one more thing for him to put on his 'reasons why we shouldn't move to NZ list'!!!!

Sorry, my apologies! Dont want to put anyone off coming to lovely NZ:) Expensive flights is one of my bugbears! :D

ex_exile Mar 23rd 2007 7:11 am

Originally Posted by dazal (Post 4550270)
Sorry, my apologies! Dont want to put anyone off coming to lovely NZ:) Expensive flights is one of my bugbears! :D

Could be cheaper to book trans tasman then buy the long haul from sydney. Bestflights.com.au always has good deals.

karonious Mar 23rd 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross (Post 4550131)
Usually the earlier you book it, the cheaper it is. I just got a last minute ticket for my son to come to Christchurch from Heathrow and it cost me $2362.00...:(

Could have got him a stand-by ticket for a quarter of that but I couldn't guarantee him a seat and wanted him to just to get here with no problems as its an awful long way...

It must be brilliant, that feeling of anticipation when you haven't seen him for so long :thumbup: .
I haven't seen my 3 sons for 6 months but still in the NZ honeymoon phase so haven't really started to miss them loads yet. I have a HUGE photo of all of us in the living room so I 'speak' to them every day!
Karma for you reunion

Nice Guy Mar 23rd 2007 11:45 am

Flights from NZ to UK

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross (Post 4550131)

Enjoy!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder karma coming your way.