Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights to NZ- Oneway or Return!!!

Flights to NZ- Oneway or Return!!!

Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:54 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Flights to NZ- Oneway or Return!!!

Hi ya
This may sound like a daft question but here goes:

If you go to NZ on a 'work to residence' visa do you need a return ticket on you flights...

I don't think you would as that'll mean booking over a year in advance, but thought i'd better check.

Does anyone know for DEFINITE!!!

Thanks you
Mandie
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flights to NZ- Oneway or Return!!!

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Hi ya

If you go to NZ on a 'work to residence' visa do you need a return ticket on you flights...

I don't think you would as that'll mean booking over a year in advance, but thought i'd better check.

Thanks you
Mandie
Hi
Why don't you go to NZ immigration website and it will give you all the info on there.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Hi ya

Thanks you
Mandie
The visa sticker in your passport should say something like "onward travel waived", that means you dont need a return ticket. If you dont have a sticker in your passport saying something like that, you need a return ticket.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by newkiwi
The visa sticker in your passport should say something like "onward travel waived", that means you dont need a return ticket. If you dont have a sticker in your passport saying something like that, you need a return ticket.
Even on round the world tickets I have learnt that the maximum length of duration between flights on a return trip is one year.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

It is a very good question ! In the crazy crazy world of Airline ticketing prices, Short haul One Ways are mostly more expensive than Returns !

But the answer to your question is that in the context of Emigration, it depends on the type of Visa that you have to pass immigration in NZ. If you have PR or it says "Travel waived etc" on the NZ Visa in your passport, described in previous post, then you can travel to NZ on a One Way ticket, otherwise you must have a ticket out of the country. This is normally checked at your departure airport ! You will be informed of this fact On many ticketing websites and in good travel agents .

One ways to NZ ARE generally cheaper than returns, but not by much ! You have to pay the exorbitant taxes in both directions for a return !

There is a Migrant organization called IOM, that offers subsidised One-Way Qantas flights to NZ via Oz, with huge luggage allowances , it has been discussed on britishexpats previously

http://www.iom.int/jahia/jsp/index.jsp
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:49 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Flights to NZ- Oneway or Return!!!

Thank you so much for all your advice and help...

Just been on the phone to NZ house London who said that as it's a work to residence visa i wouldn't need a return flight as this would be wavered.

thanks again
Mandie