Flights to NZ

Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:40 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
SpudPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights to NZ

Hello everyone.Great site,got sq.eyes from reading the NZ forum today,sooo much info & entertaining too.
Got the good news this afternoon that my work visa will arrive either in the morning(sat 11 oct)or on monday at the latest.As this has been sorted a few weeks earlier than anticipated,i've been caught on the backfoot somewhat regarding getting there.Although i have completed or planned most ''things t do'',one thing i haven't even looked at yet is the cost of flights.
I would like to ask what you would recommend?Internet or the local travel agency?Also any particular airlines to avoid.
Maybe travelling solo may give me a little advantage over family bookings & i may get a late deal if they can squeeze me and my luggage on board.
Thanks for reading & your help will be greatly appreciated at this late time in preparing to do one down to the Bay of Plenty.

ps....i've heard the pies are grand there
SpudPie is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Bournemouth/Dorset
Posts: 81
wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Hi Spudpie,

congratulations to getting you work visa sorted so quickly. Is it a temporary work permit? How long did it take to get it?
With regards to your flight booking request....
We found http://trailfinders.com/
very helpful and competitive. We booked a flight with them to Auckland via Bangkok with Thai Airways only 3 weeks ago for GBP 1066.Took 23 hrs flight time altogether and only 3 hours wait for the connection flight.
Good luck to you and your family. Hope it goes all well for you in "Bay of Plenty".
wannabekiwi is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Margaret Parkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tyldesley Manchester UK
Posts: 1,095
Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Originally Posted by SpudPie View Post
Hello everyone.Great site,got sq.eyes from reading the NZ forum today,sooo much info & entertaining too.
Got the good news this afternoon that my work visa will arrive either in the morning(sat 11 oct)or on monday at the latest.As this has been sorted a few weeks earlier than anticipated,i've been caught on the backfoot somewhat regarding getting there.Although i have completed or planned most ''things t do'',one thing i haven't even looked at yet is the cost of flights.
I would like to ask what you would recommend?Internet or the local travel agency?Also any particular airlines to avoid.
Maybe travelling solo may give me a little advantage over family bookings & i may get a late deal if they can squeeze me and my luggage on board.
Thanks for reading & your help will be greatly appreciated at this late time in preparing to do one down to the Bay of Plenty Bay of Plenty.

ps....i've heard the pies are grand there

Hi

That is good news. We have travelled with Singapore Airlines who are very good. I look directly on their site get the price and then see if my local travel agent will match it. They always do even when we have been going to Spain there is a lot of competition out there at the moment.

Now about the Bay of Plenty if you read my past posts you will see my daughter & family have a BUTCHERS SHOP (I think I have mentioned this before) so don't forget to call & say hello to Gail & Doug 60 Parton Road Papamoa.

p.s..... Its the sausages that are good.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Oct 10th 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Margaret Parkinson is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:36 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 102
highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all
Default Re: Flights to NZ

i travel back to aoteoroa regularly and would recommend either singapore or emirates . to get the large baggage allowance however you have to go via the states which means you have to clear customs in the US even for transfers.
highlander393 is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:08 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
cally49's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South Island NZ
Posts: 527
cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flights to NZ

Originally Posted by SpudPie View Post
Hello everyone.Great site,got sq.eyes from reading the NZ forum today,sooo much info & entertaining too.
Got the good news this afternoon that my work visa will arrive either in the morning(sat 11 oct)or on monday at the latest.As this has been sorted a few weeks earlier than anticipated,i've been caught on the backfoot somewhat regarding getting there.Although i have completed or planned most ''things t do'',one thing i haven't even looked at yet is the cost of flights.
I would like to ask what you would recommend?Internet or the local travel agency?Also any particular airlines to avoid.
Maybe travelling solo may give me a little advantage over family bookings & i may get a late deal if they can squeeze me and my luggage on board.
Thanks for reading & your help will be greatly appreciated at this late time in preparing to do one down to the Bay of Plenty.

ps....i've heard the pies are grand there
Depends when you were planning on flying but Air New Zealand UK have aspecial on at the moment http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/booki...rom-london.htm
cally49 is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:10 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
SpudPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Well,what can i say.Many thanks to your more than welcome replies,jolly nice of you all.
Firstly Wannabe i'd like to tell you my work visa only took me 3 weeks,maybe because i attached a letter explaining i had a job offer and that the company were waiting for me to start as soon as.Infact,just short of three weeks i had t wait so happy days.
I've since tried a few websites,including trailfinder.So far the best price for one person,one way is 750 uk pounds.Is that good?Tomorrow(sat,uk) i'll be leaving my number with a few travel agencies in town,with luck booking by the end of monday.
Regarding baggage and how much i can take.Well,i'll be taking two large suitcases plus a small amount of hand luggage,rucksack with docs,mags,ipod etc & a motorcycle helmet.
Highlander replied with a helpfull message stating goin via the states i can take more.Just wondering what the max weight is.Suitcases will only be full of personal clothes and other odds n ends so with luck i won't be carrying too much to worry the scales.
Eeeee,......music to my ears.Top sausages eh Margaret?If i told you how many sausages i've took abroad(europe,but not when the green tongue,ex-wife & other epidemics wer on in the last few years for fellow contractors and missell.I'll make a point of going for a ride down and visiting your lass Gail & Doug,the freezer will be bursting at the seams for sure.
So again,thanks for your time and i'll let you know as soon as i strike a deal with the agency.
I'll si thee
SpudPie is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:04 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
cally49's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South Island NZ
Posts: 527
cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flights to NZ

Originally Posted by SpudPie View Post
Well,what can i say.Many thanks to your more than welcome replies,jolly nice of you all.
Firstly Wannabe i'd like to tell you my work visa only took me 3 weeks,maybe because i attached a letter explaining i had a job offer and that the company were waiting for me to start as soon as.Infact,just short of three weeks i had t wait so happy days.
I've since tried a few websites,including trailfinder.So far the best price for one person,one way is 750 uk pounds.Is that good?Tomorrow(sat,uk) i'll be leaving my number with a few travel agencies in town,with luck booking by the end of monday.
Regarding baggage and how much i can take.Well,i'll be taking two large suitcases plus a small amount of hand luggage,rucksack with docs,mags,ipod etc & a motorcycle helmet.
Highlander replied with a helpfull message stating goin via the states i can take more.Just wondering what the max weight is.Suitcases will only be full of personal clothes and other odds n ends so with luck i won't be carrying too much to worry the scales.
Eeeee,......music to my ears.Top sausages eh Margaret?If i told you how many sausages i've took abroad(europe,but not when the green tongue,ex-wife & other epidemics wer on in the last few years for fellow contractors and missell.I'll make a point of going for a ride down and visiting your lass Gail & Doug,the freezer will be bursting at the seams for sure.
So again,thanks for your time and i'll let you know as soon as i strike a deal with the agency.
I'll si thee
Hello again i am sure that nowadays via the states you are allowed 2 x suitcases each weighing up to 23kg each (it used to be 32 and they have decreased it )
Have you looked at the price comparison between a one way and a return there is often not much difference and some of them last a year be worth looking in to maybe.
Cheers
Cally
cally49 is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:36 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Epsom
Posts: 1,704
sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Not only pies, but the best burgers too.
sr71 is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:52 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Margaret Parkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tyldesley Manchester UK
Posts: 1,095
Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Not only pies, but the best burgers too.
So you have been to the famous butchers in Papamoa as well

June
Margaret Parkinson is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:05 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
SpudPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Eeeee by gum.Pies,burgers n sausages.Dooo fo me.
Thanks for replies,looks like i'll be well sorted for a full English brekky then.
Back t original.Got the flight sorted,one way 655quid from Manchester t Auckland.Although not there yet,so we'll see at the end of the weekend if its a decent deal.
Phew,well busy here.Still quite a few things t do,ticklist is growing rather than shrinking.
Back t packin' now.
Ta ta.

ps...black puddings as well?
SpudPie is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:52 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Margaret Parkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tyldesley Manchester UK
Posts: 1,095
Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Originally Posted by SpudPie View Post
Eeeee by gum.Pies,burgers n sausages.Dooo fo me.
Thanks for replies,looks like i'll be well sorted for a full English brekky then.
Back t original.Got the flight sorted,one way 655quid from Manchester t Auckland.Although not there yet,so we'll see at the end of the weekend if its a decent deal.
Phew,well busy here.Still quite a few things t do,ticklist is growing rather than shrinking.
Back t packin' now.
Ta ta.

ps...black puddings as well?
Yes the famous butcher (Doug) does black puddings as well. www.mysausages.com

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Oct 14th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Margaret Parkinson is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:05 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
SpudPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Eeee eck June.Looks like i'm gonna be buying a big plate then for the weekend fryups way things r goin.
Got mi digs sorted,stayin in Papamoa for a few weeks at first so i'll be popping round there for sure.
Cheerz for that.
Don't suppose they sell Thorntons chocolate caramels as well?Naah,askin too much me finks.Warburtons potato cakes will av t do then.
See ya.
SpudPie is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:35 am
  #13  
VP - Rangers Support Club
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Try www.affordableflights.co.uk if you are traveling from the UK.

Andy
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
ptbrophy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 77
ptbrophy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flights to NZ

I know this subject has been discussed to the end but a little help guys....

My girlfriend received her PR status yesterday giving us the green light to book flights

We will be flying Glasgow to Wellington with either BA or Air NZ.

Q1. Having never been on a through flight at Heathrow, is 1hr30mins enough to transfer from T1 to T3? This would mean flying via San Fran (Virgin Atlantic) helping avoid L.A.!

Q2. Anyone flew BA recently? After watching the Dispatches programme on Monday it has put me off them slightly! Really can't be doing with them losing our luggage!

Failing those above, it will be NZ1 via L.A.!

Thanks Guys!

Paul.
ptbrophy is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:15 pm
  #15  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 548
Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to NZ

Hi pt, you can walk with your luggage from T1 to T3 and it will take you all of 5 mins! All Airlines lose luggage. I wouldn't take too much notice of the Dispatch programme, it's mainly old news dressed up. Indeed the latest punctuality and baggage figures from T5 are some of the best in the industry!
Yotty is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.