British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flights and Excess Baggage. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flights-excess-baggage-334575/)

taffinkent Oct 31st 2005 8:33 am

Flights and Excess Baggage.

Hi,

We are ready to book flights and as we are emigrating we will have extra baggage which will not be going over in the container, most probably an extra suitcase each.

Which airline company did people use ?
We were quoted £10-£20 per extra kilo with Air New Zealand at the travel agent which we thought was very expensive.

Any advice please... We dont mind which airline or which way we fly.

Thanks,

Taff and Debs.

SarahB Oct 31st 2005 8:45 am

Re: Flights and Excess Baggage.

Hello.... we booked Air New Zealand flights through ebookers.

You can take 2 suitcases each that weigh up to 32KG.... (so 64KG each person!!...thats a lot of luggage!) we booked our infant in as a child and he got the same luggage allowance as us too. This was great for emigrating and after buying bigger suitcases (from Matalan = good value and huge) we were still nowhere near our allowance.

Air NZ were good too..... we stopped for 3 days in LA....ermm... ok if you like to eat nothing but burgers and pancakes for 3 days! We had stacks of hand luggage too and a stroller and his car seat!! They were very good over it. The food was ok too!! :D

Boopy Oct 31st 2005 9:00 am

Hi Taff n Debs,

Previous posts have stated Air Singapore allows 40kg each if you are emigrating.

Boppy

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Hi,

We are ready to book flights and as we are emigrating we will have extra baggage which will not be going over in the container, most probably an extra suitcase each.

Which airline company did people use ?
We were quoted £10-£20 per extra kilo with Air New Zealand at the travel agent which we thought was very expensive.

Any advice please... We dont mind which airline or which way we fly.

Thanks,

Taff and Debs.

lapsed kiwi Nov 1st 2005 6:20 am

Singapore allowed us 30kg each (there are three of us). When we checked in, we had 121kg plus 25kg cabin baggage, plus car seat plus buggy. No problem - no excess charge, just great service. Same story at Heathrow and at Singapore after our stopover

Gill and Rob Nov 1st 2005 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hello.... we booked Air New Zealand flights through ebookers.

You can take 2 suitcases each that weigh up to 32KG.... (so 64KG each person!!...thats a lot of luggage!) we booked our infant in as a child and he got the same luggage allowance as us too. This was great for emigrating and after buying bigger suitcases (from Matalan = good value and huge) we were still nowhere near our allowance.

Air NZ were good too..... we stopped for 3 days in LA....ermm... ok if you like to eat nothing but burgers and pancakes for 3 days! We had stacks of hand luggage too and a stroller and his car seat!! They were very good over it. The food was ok too!! :D

We also had the 64kg per person allowance (I think you need to tell them you are emigrating to get this allowance). We packed our 8 cases upto the 32kg limit (for the 4 of us) and our hand luggage upto the limit. We used the Mother-in-laws bathroom scales and ended up leaving stuff. When we got to the airport we found each case was about 4-5kg under the limit. You will be amazed how much room this luggage takes up in an estate car.

Rob

urbanproject Nov 1st 2005 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Taff n Debs,

Previous posts have stated Air Singapore allows 40kg each if you are emigrating.

Boppy

I was given 40kgs with Singapore Air. Just faxed them a copy of my PR visa in passport and it did the trick. The 64kgs on Air NZ was tempting but fancied going through Asia.

Jen

Boopy Nov 1st 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Jen,

Are you doing a stopover in S'pore. Is your arrival at Auckland.
Boopy

Originally Posted by urbanproject
I was given 40kgs with Singapore Air. Just faxed them a copy of my PR visa in passport and it did the trick. The 64kgs on Air NZ was tempting but fancied going through Asia.

Jen

P18PPS Nov 1st 2005 10:41 pm

We were going to use Malaysian but when we went to pay (19th Sept 05) we were told the double bagage allowance if you were emigrating was no longer available, so ended up going with Air NZ. They were good but strict on the 32kg's per bag we ended up rejigging the 8 massive cases we had to get all of them just under the 32kg per case limit.

Suggest you double / triple check the extra is allowed.

Regards
David

Pollyana Nov 2nd 2005 12:26 am

Whatever the total you have, the max per bag is 32 kg - this is a Health and Safety rule for the baggage handlers - they are not allowed to lift any one piece weighing more than 32kg.

urbanproject Nov 2nd 2005 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Jen,

Are you doing a stopover in S'pore. Is your arrival at Auckland.
Boopy

Hi Boopy,

Yes my partner and I are stopping in Singapore for 3 nights and will arrive in Auckland (final destination) on Dec 3rd :)

Jen

sarahw Nov 12th 2005 10:29 am

We went with Singapore Airways Lon-Sin-Auck about 3 months ago. We were given an extra 10kg each as I has told them we were emigrating and at the airport we were still a bit over that but they let us through with no extra charge. Sometimes it pays to be one of the first few to check in!!