British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flights booked...but no job yet! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flights-booked-but-no-job-yet-635343/)

DGH Oct 12th 2009 7:29 pm

Flights booked...but no job yet!

Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted. Things a bit crazy. Handed notice in at work, booked shipping (Crown), booked 1-way flights for 27th December (eek!), sold house and moved in with friends, booked leaving party. Would just like to get a job now before leaving. I've applied for a few with no luck - I'm a secondary PE teacher. Any advice from teachers out there? :)

MnB Oct 12th 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Flights booked...but no job yet!

Not a teacher I'm afraid ...but just wanted to wish you luck!!
Time must be zinging along for you but sounds like you're ready to go!!
Hope you get some luck on the job front, then it will really be a happy Christmas for you!:thumbsup:
B x

mudblood21 Oct 12th 2009 8:54 pm

sorry, i am no help either - but I am a teacher and i just wanted to thank you for asking the question - i shall be watching the replies and making notes. have you tried an agency? there is one on the education Gazette- maybe they could help..

best of luck
Jax
:fingerscrossed:

DGH Oct 12th 2009 9:21 pm

Hi, yep have been on the Edgazette (in fact, I go on about 10 times a day!). I've applied for 5 or 6 jobs so far with negative responses. I really think that schools are not particularly open to overseas applicants, which I guess I can understand. Hopefully will get something on arrival if I can't get one before leaving. We're keeping fingers crossed - my salary will be really important to us as OH is a teacher too but trained via a GTP which isn't accepted out there - he has to go back to uni for a year! I've signed up with the 3 main teaching agencies out there so hopefully they can help me out. We'll see...Keep you updated. :)

mudblood21 Oct 12th 2009 9:35 pm

I have been applying for jobs wholesale in NZ- I have only had one response that was even a little positive.
I can see their point of view- why hire someone on the other side of the planet when you have staff right here? But we can't let a little thing like futility get us down, can we? ---it doesn't matter how many rejections we get, we only need one acceptance!

Sorry if i sound a bit monty python here, I'm just trying to cheer myself along.... Keep going, it doesn't cost much to apply by email, you could get a job, or just RSI, who knows? let me know if you get any luck ! x

:rofl:

Justcol Oct 13th 2009 1:30 am

Kiwi schools are huge on sport and PE so i'm thinking you shouldnt have to much trouble
finding something when you get here.
My advice is to apply to anything and everything no matter where it is in the country.
You may arrive and rent a place in auckland but it might aswell be any city or town as you have no roots there
Auckland may aswell be wellington or hamilton or chch, they are all nice places to live with good schools
and the important thing is to secure work then look at your options and build from there.
Good luck with your search

Jo-Chris Oct 13th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by DGH (Post 8010990)
Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted. Things a bit crazy. Handed notice in at work, booked shipping (Crown), booked 1-way flights for 27th December (eek!), sold house and moved in with friends, booked leaving party. Would just like to get a job now before leaving. I've applied for a few with no luck - I'm a secondary PE teacher. Any advice from teachers out there? :)

You sound just like us! We fly out in two weeks! Crown removals are coming in tomorrow. Neither of us have a job (scary) but I have had a few postive interviews one which Im waiting back to hear from and the other one has arranged for me to do some psychomotric test when I arrive! We are staying with relatives intially until one of us finds a job and then we will be renting.

Good Luck

LukeandJo Oct 13th 2009 5:25 pm

I think the best thing you can do is hammer that CV out.
Yes it will help that you have a date when you are in the country, but still, get your name out there.

Have you looked on the TES at all, even in the forums you might be able to pick up some contacts. It would be great if you could fly over there having a few meetings arranged and slot into work within a few weeks.

sjake Oct 13th 2009 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by DGH (Post 8010990)

Hey it's your fault our flights shot up in price as we were about to book!!;)

Who are you flying with? We're now flying 29th instead. Did want a couple of days to begin to recuperate so that we that we could try and celebrate New Year in NZ but now we land on the morning 31st - figured we'll be stuffed with the jet lag anyway so what the heck.
Best of luck with the job hunting.:fingerscrossed:

DGH Oct 15th 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by sjake (Post 8013890)
Hey it's your fault our flights shot up in price as we were about to book!!;)

Who are you flying with? We're now flying 29th instead. Did want a couple of days to begin to recuperate so that we that we could try and celebrate New Year in NZ but now we land on the morning 31st - figured we'll be stuffed with the jet lag anyway so what the heck.
Best of luck with the job hunting.:fingerscrossed:

Nope Sjake, we paid a fortune for ours too. Flying with Emirates. Only bonus is that because we've flown to NZ with them once already this year we are now classed as 'silver skywards members' and so get to go in the business class lounge at Dubai airport. Woop woop! We're in Sydney for new year then into Auckland on 7th Jan. Where in NZ you headed?

sjake Oct 15th 2009 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DGH (Post 8019526)
Nope Sjake, we paid a fortune for ours too. Flying with Emirates. Only bonus is that because we've flown to NZ with them once already this year we are now classed as 'silver skywards members' and so get to go in the business class lounge at Dubai airport. Woop woop! We're in Sydney for new year then into Auckland on 7th Jan. Where in NZ you headed?

We're with Air NZ via LAX - hmmm you'll be in the business lounge and we're heading for the dreaded herding of the two hour transit in the US. We were going to stopover in LAX for a couple of days but have now thought that we wouldn't relax and would be worrying about the next long-haul stint from LAX to AKL so 26 hours straight through for us!!

We are heading for Auckland exact area to be confirmed but looking to Remeura/Epsom or Bucklands Beach/Half Moon Bay. Trying to weigh up my commute to Auckland City Hospital versus rental prices and schools!!! How about you guys? Quite jealous that you'll be spending New Year in Sydney - but not changing flights now:D