British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The flights are booked!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flights-booked-625963/)

thedtb Aug 16th 2009 7:37 pm

The flights are booked!!

Just wanted to share our good/mad news...

We've booked our flights and the four of us will be flying to NZ on September 13th.

No job offer yet, so we're landing as tourists and going to try to pursue matters on that side of the pond.

Now only have 999,999 other things to do between now and then!!

thedtb.

MooMoo290373 Aug 16th 2009 8:26 pm

Re: The flights are booked!!

Excellent :thumbsup:

Dewb09 Aug 16th 2009 10:42 pm

Fantastic news wish you lots of good luck when you arrive :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Dewb

P2L Aug 17th 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by thedtb (Post 7848504)

We've booked our flights and the four of us will be flying to NZ on September 13th.

No job offer yet, so we're landing as tourists and going to try to pursue matters on that side of the pond.

thedtb.

Good luck.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Where are you going to be starting from?

teebrown Aug 17th 2009 8:20 am

How exciting, the days are flying by for us, so you will be here in no time. Hope the trip goes smoothly for you. :fingerscrossed:

thedtb Aug 17th 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by P2L (Post 7849376)
Good luck.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Where are you going to be starting from?

We're going to be flying in to Auckland... we'll probably book a hotel for the first 3 days or so to give us a solid base from which to sort out bank account and transport, and recover from Jet-lag etc... but then we'll simply head to wherever the job interviews are!! (Unless of of course dear wife manages to find a job beforehand - in which case we'll head to wherever the job is and start to look for a house).

It's exciting that we've now committed to a date but there's soooooo much to do between now and then it's scary!

(Thank you to all of you for your good-luck message)

TheDTB

j19fmm Aug 17th 2009 6:24 pm

Good on you, hope it goes well, and the best of luck with the job hunt :thumbsup:

alchris Aug 17th 2009 6:33 pm

Wishing you all good luck in NZ, and with the job hunting.
Chris x

bevissa65 Aug 17th 2009 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by thedtb (Post 7848504)

thedtb.

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: Enjoy every second, Bevissa

southerner Aug 17th 2009 10:08 pm

Hi - what sort of work are you after?

thedtb Aug 17th 2009 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 7851698)
Hi - what sort of work are you after?

I run my own (online) Insurance Company in the UK and also do web development for other companies and will continue to do so remotely from NZ - albeit to a lesser extent than I do in the UK... so I'm not looking for work per se.

My wife however is a Primary School teacher and (somewhat understandably) has found it difficult to find a job in NZ and has been repeatedly passed over for people already in NZ... hence we're taking the plunge to get there and find her a job in person.

southerner Aug 18th 2009 2:11 am

Originally Posted by thedtb (Post 7851714)
I run my own (online) Insurance Company in the UK and also do web development for other companies and will continue to do so remotely from NZ - albeit to a lesser extent than I do in the UK... so I'm not looking for work per se.

My wife however is a Primary School teacher and (somewhat understandably) has found it difficult to find a job in NZ and has been repeatedly passed over for people already in NZ... hence we're taking the plunge to get there and find her a job in person.

I understand there are always teaching jobs somewhere in NZ, just not always in more desirable parts of Auckland, Nelson and a few other popular spots. Obviously the more flexible you are then the easier it will be to get that all important first job.

Hope it all goes well!