Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights / Baggage Allowances

Flights / Baggage Allowances

Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

sol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura about
Default Flights / Baggage Allowances

I've just booked my flights to Wellington!!!
Setting off on 31st October, arriving 2nd Nov.
The main carrier is Cathay Pacific but the first leg to Heathrow is BA - haven't flown either before, then Quantas from Auckland.
Has anyone any idea what allowances I will have for checked luggage? My agent will contact the airlines when I've faxed my visa to her, but meantime I'd like an idea of what's allowed.
Is the greatest allowance applicable for the whole journey or do domestic flights screw that up?
Also, what should I look out for while in Hong Kong for 7 hours? Can you take a tour or do you have to stay in the airport?
Any tips, suggestions etc, gratefully received!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:13 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flights / Baggage Allowances

Don't know about allowance. In HK get the fast train to Kowloon, taxi to Star Terminal. Take the ferry across get on it again and reverse the journey.

If you are adventurous from HK island walk to the peak railway and go up and down that.

This can easily be done in 7 hours

Have a great time.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sol133
The main carrier is Cathay Pacific but the first leg to Heathrow is BA - haven't flown either before, then Quantas from Auckland.
Has anyone any idea what allowances I will have for checked luggage? My agent will contact the airlines when I've faxed my visa to her, but meantime I'd like an idea of what's allowed.
Is the greatest allowance applicable for the whole journey or do domestic flights screw that up?
Also, what should I look out for while in Hong Kong for 7 hours? Can you take a tour or do you have to stay in the airport?
If you have a round the world ticket and it goes via america you get a much larger baggage allowance (2x32kg bags each! Something to do with folks from the usa having to pack gold bars when they travel!). We found this very helpful with all the crap we collected on the way here! If not I think you are limited to one 32kg bag per person. If all your tickets were booked together this should apply on all flights. If you booked any local separate then their local allowance will apply. Be careful of the likes of Jet Star as they charge for anything over 15kg.

As for hong kong go and have Dim Sum, get confused, order lots and have no clue what you are eating. We did!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:59 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Sol

congrats on the flights, makes it all real IMO. Just read through your post & can't figure out who is taking you when & in what direction

Are you flying one way or return?? and do you have any internal flights here or is it just in the UK ??
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:53 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to HongKong on BA and then Cathay Pacific down to Oz then your allowance if you are travelling economy will be 20kg for each person. You only get the 2 x 23kgs if you are flying via the States.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

sol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Sol

congrats on the flights, makes it all real IMO. Just read through your post & can't figure out who is taking you when & in what direction

Are you flying one way or return?? and do you have any internal flights here or is it just in the UK ??
Hi, sorry if I didn't make sense - not the first time....
Starting in Manchester on 31st with BA to Heathrow - dreading it but unavoidable. Heathrow to Hong Kong and then Auckland with Cathay Pacific, then Quantas to Welly, arriving five pm on 2nd Nov. ONE WAY!!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:03 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Starting in Manchester on 31st with BA to Heathrow - dreading it but unavoidable. Heathrow to Hong Kong and then Auckland with Cathay Pacific, then Quantas to Welly, arriving five pm on 2nd Nov. ONE WAY!!!

Cheers Sol
Much clearer now If I were you, I would contact each airline invloved and explain that you are emmigrating and whether they will allow you additional baggage AND THEN GET IT CONFIRMED IN WRITING! We did this with Singapore and managed to get an additional 5kgs each, not brilliant but enough to make a difference
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Cheers! I'll certainly give it a try.
If you don't ask, you don't get...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:17 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough

Did exactly the same trip, one way, four months ago.

You get 20kg per adult price ticket and 5kg hand luggage. No option to upgrade on luggage as I had this argument in the UK. How they expect you to fit your life into that I have no idea!!:curse:
I ended up bringing all the kids new clothes and ditching a lot of mine.

Singapore is better and going via LA if you can cope with the security checks which leave you running for your conecting flight!!:curse:

Sorry Its not better advice. but good luck.