Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights back to UK

Flights back to UK

Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:15 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights back to UK

We have noticed a dramatic price increase in flights back to Uk from NZ because of the high fuel prices, so if you are looking to fly back this year get them now not later.

We land back in Heathrow in Dec, that will be a funny experience, as Dunedin airport is so small, dont see jet trails in the skies down here.

Will be a weird thing going back after nearly 4 years, i wonder what we will think of it all.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to UK

We'll hopefully be going in the opposite direction round about that time of year. Really need to wait for ITA to get ok and the house to sell,but know what you mean about getting them ASAP.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:43 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

When we looked about 4 months ago, they were about $6-7k now we have to fork out $8.5 for 2 adults and one child, because NZ's economy is taking a dive for the worst, and fuel costs are out of this world at mo, food is very pricey, power going up etc etc, same the world over, the flight prices are going up big time.

We did London to Dubai, Melbourne, then CHCH and then down to Dunedin.

This time we go from Dunedin to CHCH, Singapore,London. long old flight ay.30hrs going coming back only 23hrs.

Mind you house prices will be cheaper in NZ by then end of this year, hopefully we will be able to buy a piece of land cheaper or another house by then and then the cycle of things going up over 5 years will begin again.

What with low wages here NZ is having a tough time at the mo.

But we will be back in UK after nearly 4 years away, so it will be a tough one and a good one, not sure of what we will make of it yet, going mainly to see folk for prob last time.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We came in February this year and the flight was £956 each with Singapore Airlines. For the same time next year it has now gone up to £1203 each. As we are coming for Christmas we have had to pay even more £1419 each. From what I have noticed in the past the fares re: schedule they do not go down like charters the nearer the time of flying, they just keep going up and up and up. I just hope I have done the right thing by booking early although I cannot see it getting any better the the fuel situation as it is. However, that's the price we have to pay if we want to see our family and it will be worth every penny. Just wish we could win the lottery then we could go first class.

June.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Jun 13th 2008 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Well my 2 are 12 and 14, so it's adult fares for them! Best I could get for $10K for the 3 of us with Cathay Pacific via HK. Yes it was £640 return when we came over in 2006. Guess it's the oil price that has caused the big hike?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:21 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I did an interesting exercise a couple of months back

I priced a return flight Auckland/London/Auckland via LA with Air New Zealand on www.airnewzealand.co.nz

I then priced a return flight London/Auckland/London via LA with Air New Zealand on www.airnewzealand.co.uk

Same dates, same everything

Except that the flight starting in Auckland was 40% more expensive, even allowing for the poor £/NZ$ exchange rate !!

Anyone got an explaination for this or are we just being ripped off???
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I did an interesting exercise a couple of months back

I priced a return flight Auckland/London/Auckland via LA with Air New Zealand on www.airnewzealand.co.nz

I then priced a return flight London/Auckland/London via LA with Air New Zealand on www.airnewzealand.co.uk

Same dates, same everything

Except that the flight starting in Auckland was 40% more expensive, even allowing for the poor £/NZ$ exchange rate !!

There was an item in the news on this recently, which showed that you could book identical Air NZ flights on their Oz website, saving lots of $ over booking via their NZ site. Definitely worth checking around several sites. Have a look at:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10513730
Also well worth looking at sites such as expedia.co.nz which will give you fares for all the carriers
There is some sort of marketing/pricing reason for all this. Not so long ago, it was much cheaper to fly almost anywhere from the UK if you flew to a european hub first - even though some of the flights then connected back via London. It's all down to supply and demand I suppose
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I did the same with Singapore Airlines and got a similar result, can't remember the exact figures though.

We're being ripped off!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:19 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the time of year though. If you flying from an NZ winter to a UK Summer you'll pay more because its UK peak time. That's what I got told anyway.