Flights

Old Apr 9th 2020, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

LeChief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights

Hi obviously at present me and the family will not be flying anywhere thanks to the lock down!! But any tips or good sites to use for one way cheap flights?? Going from anywhere in the uk to NZ?? And is there a better air port to aim for?? Heading for wairarapa....oh and keeping four kids entertained on a long haul flight is there any tips....other than drinking to ease the pain!!
Old Apr 9th 2020, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights

Originally Posted by LeChief
Hi obviously at present me and the family will not be flying anywhere thanks to the lock down!! But any tips or good sites to use for one way cheap flights?? Going from anywhere in the uk to NZ?? And is there a better air port to aim for?? Heading for wairarapa....oh and keeping four kids entertained on a long haul flight is there any tips....other than drinking to ease the pain!!
So you've taken the offer ???
No major tips for good websites for one way flights other than the usual flight comparison ones other than always check directly with the airline to see if they are cheaper. We decided on our original flights from a comparison website then went direct to Emirates and booked through them as they had a baggage offer on which we wouldn't have got otherwise and the cost was the same.
You have to weigh up all the options depending on what you are comfortable with as a group.
I understand your flight fees will be extensive but cheapest isn't the best. Usually takes way longer in total and means your layover hours will be longer. You have to find that balance between cost, minimum layover time in between flights and where those layovers will be. We've done the journey a few times over the years and tried a few different options and steered away from any western route and always gone East (from the UK). We've pretty much always gone mid range on price so the total journey around the 30hrs mark. I think the quickest is approx 26hrs with a 45 min layover but you'll pay a premium for that - even for economy. A layover of 2/3hrs is fine. Gives you that perfect balance where you can stretch your legs, maybe explore the layover airport a bit, take in some refreshments, have a quick chillax till its time to line up for the next flight. Any less and its a major rush with kids and any more you're just having to entertain them. There's many layovers 7/8hrs and up to 14hrs. I'd steer well clear when you have kids but that's just my opinion.
When we originally came over starting in Manchester via Dubai and Sydney we stayed in each place for 4 nights to break up the whole journey as we had a 13 month old. Worked quite well and we got to see a bit of the world along the way.

Have you asked for relocation expenses from the employer as part of the negotiations ? Takes so much pressure off if they'll pay for the flights, shipping the container of worldly goods, some temporary accommodation and maybe a rental car when you arrive till you all get settled. If you don't ask it is rarely offered. You have to be bold. I asked at interview and during contract negotiations and my employer gave us $15 000 tax free to cover expenses which was added to my first fortnightly salary.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

When do you think you will travel? I expect options for travel will continue to be limited and therefore expensive whilst worldwide travel and quarantine restrictions are in place. Even if we move down a level in the next couple of weeks in NZ, it will be quite some time before they remove the quarantine requirement. So you would need to do 14 days in confinement in a hotel in Auckland before you can move on. Even if not enforced quarantine I can't imagine we'll relax the 14 day stand down period before you can start work for the foreseeable and you won't be able to simply jump on next flight to elsewhere in the country on arrival in Auckland.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/10-...pZOpOdapYM_o8E
Old Apr 9th 2020, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you'll be moving here before we go down to level 1 or below/no restrictions, it's evolving all the time so check stuff or newshub websites constantly. Certainly the virus stats are looking good currently though, hopefully Easter dickheads don't bump it up! The one thing I think we are sure of is this has smashed the airlines so you won't get anywhere near the choices and therefore prices of the past so forget what you know of the past!
Old Apr 10th 2020, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to consider what type of visa you have - even at Level 2 the border was closed to everyone except Citizens and Permanent residents. I believe all visa processing has ceased also for everyone except critical essential workers.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...4-0ac404cd4cff

Jacinda said yesterday the border will be closed for a long time and at present 'there is no end point' but more to come on 22nd April around what next level will look like.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-in...PqxFqq5a3kfqXA

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 10th 2020 at 12:32 am.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Ironbark is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​​I'd recommended travelling business class if at all possible. Do you have any avios from shopping or BA? I used to start flights from Exeter or Bristol and fly to the continent, Amsterdam, Oslo, Dublin, Copenhagen. Then I could get a cheap (£1400 or less rtn) flight with a good carrier (Etihad, Emirates, Qatar) to NZ or Oz. I think they're even cheaper now. You'll get a much better luggage allowance, and a much more comfortable journey.
Failing that, definitely plan long layovers. If you could have a couple of days in the Middle East, and the same in Southeast Asia, you'll have a far more pleasant trip, and make a holiday of the trip itself.
Check Sky scanner and Google flights, both allow you to check multiple dates, and be flexible about departure and arrival airports if you can.
Finally, I wouldn't even consider booking anything at all for some time. The Prime Minister has alluded to the borders remaining closed until there is a vaccine available, so possibly 18 months, and good luck getting money back for cancelled flights in the current environment.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:01 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to put a downer on this but I don't think it will be physically possible to move here for at least 18 months to two years. By then the airline situation will be completely different what with certain airlines folding and new ones starting. NZ is closed to non citizens and residents and looks to be that way for a long time yet. Plus there will likely be enforced quarantine rules once you can get into the country. Do you fancy being taken to a quarantine facility with four kids in tow for two weeks?

I hope it works out for you in the future, I really do. But right now I don't think you can entertain the idea of moving here 😬
Old Apr 10th 2020, 4:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As the others have written, logistically this could be difficult. You may have been meaning the UK lockdown, whatever that entails, however it should perhaps be noted that NZ is not going to reopen its borders to anywhere near the same degree post Covid19 , after our own national lockdown.

If I may, do you have your visas in place? If not, you may be in for a wait.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

what type of work does you and your husband do?
Old Apr 11th 2020, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

EyeResign is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ironbark
​​​​​​The Prime Minister has alluded to the borders remaining closed until there is a vaccine available, so possibly 18 months, and good luck getting money back for cancelled flights in the current environment.
Can you point me to where she said this?

Was supposed to be coming over in June until things escalated and now had hoped to make it over October/November with a 14 day quarantine.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ironbark
​​​​​​The Prime Minister has alluded to the borders remaining closed until there is a vaccine available, so possibly 18 months
First I've heard of that one.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Border restrictions will exist for some time ... potentially 18 months until a vaccine is found she said:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...-for-some-time
Old Apr 12th 2020, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Australia headed down the same track. Simon Birmingham (Tourism Minister) said in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning that Australia's border will stay closed until at least the new year, maybe longer.

He also flagged that restrictions between Australia and New Zealand may ease first while restrictions remained for the rest of the world.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 12th 2020 at 1:11 am.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

OP it would help if, as requested in your other thread, you provided more specifics about your situation.

Are either of you New Zealand Citizens?

Did you acquire a permanent resident visa or have they said they will organise a work visa for you?

What are your current employment circumstances in the UK?

Do you have a contract in NZ?

Etc.

This is not us being nosy. The people on this forum are all migrants who have been down this road before, some multiple times, and know that the advice we give changes depending on the context.

As well, in the current context, the situation is very fluid. The NZ border is closed unless you are an NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident, or immediate family - however, for permanent residents, it seems to exclude those who have been granted permanent residency offshore and have not arrived for the first time yet. All other visa programs have been suspended.

You also need to be aware that flight options to New Zealand have dwindled to virtually nothing. Do not trust any flight option that is coming up on the aggregation sites, as ones that will still be there and exist in practise when you need to use it.

So this is to say your Wairarapa offer could be a lot more complicated or contingent that it may at first seem.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 12th 2020 at 2:00 am.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Australia headed down the same track. Simon Birmingham (Tourism Minister) said in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning that Australia's border will stay closed until at least the new year, maybe longer.

He also flagged that restrictions between Australia and New Zealand may ease first while restrictions remained for the rest of the world.
Yep, I'm an Aussie who lives in Nz who is stuck in Oz atm, that's fine though as I have family here, am staying with a friend, have a credit voucher for my return journey. It will be a while before Oz opens up to anywhere but NZ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.