Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flight suggestions please....

Flight suggestions please....

Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Default Re: Flight suggestions please....

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
In fact the code is UKANZ09 if I remember rightly. Can be used online on the Emirates website and over the phone but you must prove you have an ANZ bank account, provide copies of your passport and visas and can only use it with direct flights as I say no overnight stays along the way :-(
Any idea if you booked this direct with Emirates? I just checked this and put the code in but no joy. I also rang them and they don't know of such a deal. But they did say some operators may off this baggage upgrade. To buy 20kg extra with emirates is £560!! Get in! They are making it incredibly difficult to fly with them!! So annoying!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Flight suggestions please....

Anyone managed to get an answer when phoning Singapore??? I cannot get anyone to respond on the phone. They are very well priced for economy seats but I want to see if they will offer a baggage upgrade to us like ANZ have!

Cheers
Phil.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

DougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really nice

Singapore airlines require you to scan acopy of your visa over to them before you book your ticket. If its a resident visa (resident visa only I believe) & not activated they will offer you 40kg instead of 20kg.
I agree flight prices with Singapore seem good.

Hope that helps.

Doug
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Flight suggestions please....

Thanks everyone! We booked the airNZ flights in the end, Premium economy, via Hong Kong rather than LA - as they were another £400 or there abouts! So we leave on the 8th of August and land on the 10th! Happy days!!

But they gave us each, including the baby who is on the lap, 46kg of checked luggage (in 2x23kg cases) plus 7kg of hand luggage each plus we can check the buggy and car seat FOC! :-)
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philzbub
Anyone managed to get an answer when phoning Singapore??? I cannot get anyone to respond on the phone. They are very well priced for economy seats but I want to see if they will offer a baggage upgrade to us like ANZ have!

Cheers
Phil.
My daughter got through to them when she was going home and asked would they increase her baggage allowance because she had bought so much stuff while she was here. They increased it from 20 to 23 kg. Maybe they would have given her more had she been emigrating but they went 6 years ago. Keep trying.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: London temporarily, Auckland...bah, who knows, maybe never
Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice

Given the age of your baby and the fact that you haven't bought her a seat, I'd suggest you look at the Beco Gemini baby carriers on Amazon. Squashy padded material thing that belts the baby to your chest, like the newborn ones but stronger and takes older kids. We've recently returned to the UK from one expat job while we sort out NZ visas for the next one, we did a huge holiday for 2 months on the way home and the baby carrier was invaluable. Looks pricey but will hold a child up to 4 years.

We used it on about 6 long haul flights through Africa, down to Aus and NZ and back up to UK. It was great during the flights as we could strap the baby to us and she'd snuggle in to your chest and sleep for the flight and you could sleep too knowing that she was safe and couldn't fall off. I can't sleep otherwise - I worry I'll let go and she'll slip! Also had our hands free for reading, eating etc. Most airlines won't let you use it during take off and landing which is a bit daft to my mind given how clearly useless the baby seat belt extensions are but rules are rules.... Having said that, I've been on airlines that have happily let us use it all the time, even during take off so it can be worth asking. Worth its weight in gold during a night flight.

Also great at the airports as you spend a fair bit of time with no pram at connections and arrivals and they quickly get heavy in your arms, especially as you'll have a fair amount of carry-on baggage. If you use the carrier it's much less tiring and you have your hands free for passports, bags etc. We travelled with 2 kids and hubby could even go for a pee with her strapped sleeping to his chest!

The sling weighs next to nothing and squashes easily into a carrier bag or under the pram. We also used it tons in NZ and have used it in the UK recently at stately homes etc where prams aren't welcome.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:07 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! We booked the airNZ flights in the end, Premium economy, via Hong Kong rather than LA - as they were another £400 or there abouts! So we leave on the 8th of August and land on the 10th! Happy days!!

But they gave us each, including the baby who is on the lap, 46kg of checked luggage (in 2x23kg cases) plus 7kg of hand luggage each plus we can check the buggy and car seat FOC! :-)
Was gonna reply with this as airnz gave us extra weight plus stroller and car seat. Sweet as!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what joy, good luck with humping that lot around airport shuttles, on and off carousels and buses.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

are you flying all the way with AirNZ or is there another carrier involved. we flew with BA from UK to Wellington in June but only BA on first flight the other 2 flights where with Qantas and their hand baggage allowance was different to BA's. We tried upping our luggage allowance but BA said no despite us stating we were emigrating but think it would of been to much hassle anyway as would of had to get agreement with Qantas as well. 23kg to start with and 7kg for hand luggage plus a laptop bag/handbag goes free was enough for us. Hubby also got cargo trousers, the one with the pockets, and packed them, also coats and jackets with lots of pockets to get things like laptop cables, Wii and games (not the balance board) through for all of us.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 8:02 am
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

We booked Singapore airlines £615 each. As soon as Visa came through we emailed a copy to them and they emailed us back saying we can double the luggage allowance. Just need to show visa when checking in.