Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flight Plight .......

Flight Plight .......

Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:13 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future
Default Flight Plight .......

Hi everyone

Flying over in Feb 09 so not long now. Most things are sorted and coming together nicely. Now were after some help with flights.

We would like to know if anyone who travelled with kids (ours are 4, 3, 13m) split there journey and make a bit of a life time holiday or just got it over and done with and only transferred flights at stop overs.

We were thinking of flying from here in Cyprus to Dubai and spending a couple of days then catching a flight to OZ and spending a few days then flying in to Christchurch. Thought it would break the monotonous journey for the kids or are we prolonging the agony.

Anyone out there had similar experiences please.

Thanks
Jackie
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice
Default Re: Flight Plight .......

Hi there

We (two adults and two children age 3 and 1) flew to Melbourne in Jan via Singapore (where we stayed for 3 nights). It was great to see the place and certainly did break up the journey but we then had a NIGHT flight to Melbourne, which was the real killer. When we do it next time, we would either go straight there or definitely make sure the second leg was a daytime flight. Overall, though, our kids coped much better than we thought they would. We flew with Singapore airlines and they were great. We also took a lot of stuff for them to do (drawing, magic painting, fave story books etc) and the in-seat tvs helped! We did fly straight into Manchester on the way home, and it was fine.

Hope this helps.

Helen
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of ours stopped in Fiji for a week with their boys on the way here. Made the leaving less traumatic too, as it felt more like going on holiday rather than emigrating.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We don;t have small children, large children,,,,, or any children for that matter...... however, I can thoroughly recommend Sentosa , Singapore as a stopover for families. Plenty to do for a few days. Child friendly and easy , peasey to get around.

It's just a short ride from the airport and Singapore city. It would be possible to take in the city and do the kids stuff too. Singapore itself really is a wonderful stopover IMO.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:02 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughters are 22 months and 4 years. We've flown a lot with them and we've mixed up stopping and holidays - to see which is better! We stopped in Singapore before for a night and then we stopped in Singapore and drove to Malaysia (we wanted to fly with Singapore Airlines - but wanted a different stopover), we made a holiday of it for a few nights. To be honest, for the first couple of nights the girls were so out of it, they didn't know what the hell was going on. On the long haul flight without any stops, they get so overtired and groggy. I remember flying from the states and our 4year old (who was 2 at the time) screamed all the way back because the flight was delayed and she was so overtired. We used phernagen and I wouldn't hesitate to drug any of my children again, to ensure they get some sleep. I personally wouldn't make loads of stops because you have to figure in delays, immigration, etc. Its so hard to manage all of this when you're all tired and grubby. And you'll just want the whole trip to be over. I guess it depends on their characters and how you feel. One holiday that's long enough to be refreshing as opposed to draining should suit you all. Hey, good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:10 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We flew via Orlando and had a fab 2 week holiday at Chez Mickey etc. Kids were then 7, 5, 3. Had a great time and really helped break up the journey and sort of provided a nice 'buffer' between one life and the next.

Thoroughly recommend it!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Hi,
We have done the journey to Oz 3 times - straight there - yes it's horrible but a week later you are over it.
We are going back in Nov via Malaysia. We are having a week in Langkawi and 3 nights in Kuala Lumpur.The kids cannot wait and neither can we.
A great break before the work of finding somewhere live starts !
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: Flight Plight .......

Hi we flew with a 3 year old and 10 month old straight there and straight back, I just wanted to get it over with as we only had two week reccie but the girls were very good. Soph young enough to use the skycot which helped a lot, the in-seat helped Gem a lot, had square eyes come the end!
When only going one way it might help to see a bit of the world but you feel so jetlagged and then would have to continue journey and get more jetlagged, is it worth it with kids? Also I hated the idea that bags would have more of a chance to go "missing!"

nic
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:39 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

Hi everyone
Thanks for all the tips you have posted, there great. All ready have the Phernagen on the top of my shopping list and will have them lined up for a spoonful each
Flight from here in Cyprus to Dubai are only 3 hours so that should be fine. Just the long haul from Dubai to Sydney to think about, will try to match the times into there normal sleep time and worry about the jet lag when we get to OZ.
At least we live a little part of the way nearer so not as much flying time as if we were in the UK.
Thanks again for the tips

Jackie
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:07 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the tips you have posted, there great. All ready have the Phernagen on the top of my shopping list and will have them lined up for a spoonful each
Flight from here in Cyprus to Dubai are only 3 hours so that should be fine. Just the long haul from Dubai to Sydney to think about, will try to match the times into there normal sleep time and worry about the jet lag when we get to OZ.
At least we live a little part of the way nearer so not as much flying time as if we were in the UK.
Thanks again for the tips

Jackie
Just a quick warning, check the phernagen out first before you go. It only worked with one my daughters, with the other it seemed to keep her awake and seemingly fighting the effects. If it doesn't work, you could get a presciption from the Dr. For the one it did work with, it was really good! Oh, and make sure you wait until you're on your flight. If iyou t give it before, then there's delays, its going to be tough work! Hey, good luck!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

yep i'll second the phenergen. we flew with 2 boys aged 4 and 2 and they slept almost the whole filght both legs!! was expecting a nightmare but it was amazing i even got to watch a couple of films! so yeah drug the kids and do it all in one go!
p.s i even took some myself when i was up at 2am with jet lag and it worked for me too!