Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flight of the Conchords

Flight of the Conchords

Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:19 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight of the Conchords

I once saw Bret ('Britt? no Bret. Britt?') McKenzie on my flight from Auckland to Wellington. He was carrying what looked to be a ukelele or small guitar with him and had a few more instruments checked in. He got his luggage off the carousel first, lucky guy.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Saw them at a packed Wembley Arena in May 2010, so they must be doing something right.

I'm certainly a fan, but the type of comedy is a bit quirky. I'm certainly not comparing them to Monty Python, but there are many people, certainly of my generation close friends of mine are split down the middle, some think it's brilliant, some think it's awful.

My personal opinion is that there are a generation or two from the UK that were bought up on canned laughter comedy and it wasn't until The Office came about that we woke up to more subtle forms of comedy.

As it is, I'm a fan - but hey, different strokes for different folks.

'Jenny' is my favourite song. I just find the story telling very clever.

They never took off in NZ because, apparently they were too Wellington-centric. TVNZ telling them to do one was probably the best thing that happened to them.

They took their brand to the UK and made a radio show with the BBC, which was then picked up by HBO in the States and transformed into a TV show.

Both Jermain Clement and Bret McKenzie have found lots of work in verying genere of film, TV and music since FotC, so I'd say they were a success.

I met Rhys Darby and his wife Rosie last year at the Edinburgh festival, a thoroughly decent bloke. We have a mutual friend and I enjoy his comedy too. I have seen him live on a number of occasions, both before he 'got big' and since and his comedy is brilliant.

I like him because I just can't compare him to any other stand up I've seen, he's original.
A synonym for "Wellington-centric" could be "having culture".
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

They did not go down well in NZ because they took the mickey out of the country and even though it was a pretty gentle poke at kiwis it was not considered funny or acceptable. God forbid anyone should criticise anything connected to NZ!!! The amount of times I have heard the following... "we are punching above our weight" and "we are world class at ...(insert anything and everything). I think some kiwis do take the biscuit for being embarrassing when they demonstrate a level of ignorance about the rest of the world and how they are (or are not) perceived. I suppose for people who have not been anywhere else or rely on the media for their world view maybe it makes sense. It's such an insular view - those that venture out must get a bit of a shock!!
I think that the British don't care about being idiots or laughing at themselves and thrive on our downright arrogance!! It must be quite nice to have grown up in NZ and still have kiwi blinkers on - ignorance is bliss after all...
Just joking everyone - stay calm.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Dare I even mention 'Big Bang Theory' or 'How I Met Your Mother'?
These two I really don't get or understand the humour and I have had to sit through an number of shows when forced. I could sit and watch 'Bilko', 'MASH', 'Frasier' and 'Cheers' on an endless loop if I had the time. Hopefully not treading on any toes with this comment and trying not to insult anyones viewing habits. I believe the big switch over to Digital is nearing completion or is complete already.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Saw them at a packed Wembley Arena in May 2010, so they must be doing something right.

I'm certainly a fan, but the type of comedy is a bit quirky. I'm certainly not comparing them to Monty Python, but there are many people, certainly of my generation close friends of mine are split down the middle, some think it's brilliant, some think it's awful.

My personal opinion is that there are a generation or two from the UK that were bought up on canned laughter comedy and it wasn't until The Office came about that we woke up to more subtle forms of comedy.

As it is, I'm a fan - but hey, different strokes for different folks.

'Jenny' is my favourite song. I just find the story telling very clever.

They never took off in NZ because, apparently they were too Wellington-centric. TVNZ telling them to do one was probably the best thing that happened to them.

They took their brand to the UK and made a radio show with the BBC, which was then picked up by HBO in the States and transformed into a TV show.

Both Jermain Clement and Bret McKenzie have found lots of work in verying genere of film, TV and music since FotC, so I'd say they were a success.

I met Rhys Darby and his wife Rosie last year at the Edinburgh festival, a thoroughly decent bloke. We have a mutual friend and I enjoy his comedy too. I have seen him live on a number of occasions, both before he 'got big' and since and his comedy is brilliant.

I like him because I just can't compare him to any other stand up I've seen, he's original.
For Rhys Darby standup. To me its a version of Billy Connelly sans swearing.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snaps
Dare I even mention 'Big Bang Theory' or 'How I Met Your Mother'?
These two I really don't get or understand the humour and I have had to sit through an number of shows when forced. I could sit and watch 'Bilko', 'MASH', 'Frasier' and 'Cheers' on an endless loop if I had the time. Hopefully not treading on any toes with this comment and trying not to insult anyones viewing habits. I believe the big switch over to Digital is nearing completion or is complete already.
The big digital rip off??? I think the last lot was completed in September?

There's a channel called Jones which is showing a lot of the old classics. Cheers is certainly one of them. I recently watched programs such as Hi-de-hi, George and Mildred, Open All Hours, now am laughing at Welcome Back Kotter, Porridge and Taxi.

Oh and they've also currently got The Two Ronnies Down Under. Ronnie Barker is so funny! Probably one of the greatest comedians ever to grace the world
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Tom1983 - There is a special BBC Christmas Special this year I believe as a part tribute to Ronnie Barker. In this special it has Sir David Jason returning as Granville and will also star Lynda Barron and Stephanie Cole, it been written by original series creator Roy Clarke. Granville has taken over the shop from his late Uncle Arkwright.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like Flight of the Concords. Do any of you remember the tv ad they did in the UK for Phones 4 U in the early 2000's? That's the first time I saw them.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tom1983 - There is a special BBC Christmas Special this year I believe as a part tribute to Ronnie Barker. In this special it has Sir David Jason returning as Granville and will also star Lynda Barron and Stephanie Cole, it been written by original series creator Roy Clarke. Granville has taken over the shop from his late Uncle Arkwright.
Oooo. I really want to see that.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by marblep
I quite like Flight of the Concords. Do any of you remember the tv ad they did in the UK for Phones 4 U in the early 2000's? That's the first time I saw them.
Is it this one?

And.

Lovely to see you but you need a Chrimbo avatar.

Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is it this one?

And.

Lovely to see you but you need a Chrimbo avatar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFo9nnmOU_4

Yep, that's the ad. Chrimbo avatar on it's way
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I'll give it a watch but I hope they haven't made it to satisfy todays culture.

Be wierd watching it wi wi wi wi wi wi wi wi wi wi wi wi, oh forget it, i'll type it instead without Ronnie Barkers Uncle Arkwright