British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flight of the Conchords (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flight-conchords-816513/)

snaps Nov 29th 2013 7:27 pm

Flight of the Conchords

I was invited to watch the first two episodes of this odd show last night. Just guessing, but I imagine most people on here will have at least of heard of them. Anyone have any opinion on them they are willing to share?

jmh Nov 29th 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Flight of the Conchords

I use to watch it in the UK - can't remember what channel it was on. It was OK, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

barnsleymat Nov 29th 2013 10:20 pm

My review.

It's shite.

Bo-Jangles Nov 30th 2013 3:42 am

I don't think it was all that popular here in NZ and most people find it a bit 'odd'.

Usually if a Kiwi makes it big overseas they get mentioned 400 times a day; Flight of the Conchords was a big flop in that regard and TVNZ wouldn't even fund them. The TV prog somehow never achieved that 'up there' status that usually comes with anyone remotely related to a New Zealander that made it big.

Most people know who Rhys Darby is of course and he is funny and relatively famous in his own right, BUT the rest of them? Who? Whatever!

bourbon-biscuit Nov 30th 2013 8:03 am

Oh, I love them! Not so much the TV show they went on to do but the stand up comedy stuff is brilliant. Look on Youtube for Issues (think about it), The Humans are Dead, Business Time, and (haha - I'm laughing even thinking about it) Same Girl. Those are a few of my favs. We have the CD, which we all love to sing along to in the car.

Gill and Rob Nov 30th 2013 9:47 am

We love them too !!!
We saw them live in Auckland and they were BRILLIANT !!!

Gill and Rob

BEVS Dec 1st 2013 4:49 am

The OH is big on any form of comedy but we both didn't 'get ' it and thought it bland, banal and boring quite frankly.

However, that was the show. I will now look out the stand-up as suggested. You never know. It might have missed it in translation so willing to give this a good shot.

Justcol Dec 1st 2013 9:22 am

a couple of half witty songs and that's your lot

Took off big style here simply because the show was aired oversees, this of course turns any kiwi into a national hero

Caryatid Dec 2nd 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 11014274)
Oh, I love them! Not so much the TV show they went on to do but the stand up comedy stuff is brilliant. Look on Youtube for Issues (think about it), The Humans are Dead, Business Time, and (haha - I'm laughing even thinking about it) Same Girl. Those are a few of my favs. We have the CD, which we all love to sing along to in the car.

You are so right. I think the prob. is that kiwis aren't very good at recognising or laughing at themselves. These guys are sooo... talented when it comes to writing, harmonising, performing. Rhys whatshisface just does versions of the same material everywhere he goes. He is pretty over rated.

The anti-Australian stuff hits the spot! Its so true!

Caryatid Dec 2nd 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Caryatid (Post 11016451)
You are so right. I think the prob. is that kiwis aren't very good at recognising or laughing at themselves. These guys are sooo... talented when it comes to writing, harmonising, performing. Rhys whatshisface just does versions of the same material everywhere he goes. He is pretty over rated.

The anti-Australian stuff hits the spot! Its so true!

and they had from a very young age a huge repertoir of genres that belies the fact that they grew up in poor little NZ. I'm thinking they have so much cultural knowledge that most kiwis can't even recognise. There's all kinds of stuff going on in the sets, props, costumes, scenarios.

northeastlad Dec 2nd 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11013858)
My review.

It's shite.

x2

I just cannot get away with the Flight of the Conchords. They're just... not funny...:unsure:

Caryatid Dec 2nd 2013 7:14 pm

Is that because they don't swear or mock anyone but themselves?

Caryatid Dec 2nd 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11015177)
The OH is big on any form of comedy but we both didn't 'get ' it and thought it bland, banal and boring quite frankly.

However, that was the show. I will now look out the stand-up as suggested. You never know. It might have missed it in translation so willing to give this a good shot.

Actually I remember taking a passing glance at something of theirs years ago and having the same reaction but when I found them by chance on the internet recently I couldn't get over their creativity. They are excellent musicians plus have comic timing and can keep a straight face when saying or doing the silliest things. If you think they are banal it is because they are portraying the widespread New Zealand blank uninvolved expression (watch, I don't move my lips when I talk/or sorry my jaw is wired shut).

TommyLuck Dec 6th 2013 1:13 am

Saw them at a packed Wembley Arena in May 2010, so they must be doing something right.

I'm certainly a fan, but the type of comedy is a bit quirky. I'm certainly not comparing them to Monty Python, but there are many people, certainly of my generation close friends of mine are split down the middle, some think it's brilliant, some think it's awful.

My personal opinion is that there are a generation or two from the UK that were bought up on canned laughter comedy and it wasn't until The Office came about that we woke up to more subtle forms of comedy.

As it is, I'm a fan - but hey, different strokes for different folks.

'Jenny' is my favourite song. I just find the story telling very clever.

They never took off in NZ because, apparently they were too Wellington-centric. TVNZ telling them to do one was probably the best thing that happened to them.

They took their brand to the UK and made a radio show with the BBC, which was then picked up by HBO in the States and transformed into a TV show.

Both Jermain Clement and Bret McKenzie have found lots of work in verying genere of film, TV and music since FotC, so I'd say they were a success.

I met Rhys Darby and his wife Rosie last year at the Edinburgh festival, a thoroughly decent bloke. We have a mutual friend and I enjoy his comedy too. I have seen him live on a number of occasions, both before he 'got big' and since and his comedy is brilliant.

I like him because I just can't compare him to any other stand up I've seen, he's original.

Bellasmum Dec 6th 2013 4:00 am

They never took off in NZ because, apparently they were too Wellington-centric. TVNZ telling them to do one was probably the best thing that happened to them.
:thumbsup: