British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flat White (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flat-white-638469/)

Stormer999 Nov 1st 2009 7:03 am

Flat White

One thing I fell in love with in NZ was the flat white coffee...excellent! The one thing you cannot get in the UK......yes youv'e guessed! Saw a sign in Leamington Spa.....flat white coffee £2,10......just a poor Italian failure!:(

love30stm Nov 1st 2009 7:43 am

Re: Flat White

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8061443)
One thing I fell in love with in NZ was the flat white coffee...excellent! The one thing you cannot get in the UK......yes youv'e guessed! Saw a sign in Leamington Spa.....flat white coffee £2,10......just a poor Italian failure!:(

Yep I love them too and the iced coffee is to die for, well it is in a certain cafe in Wanganui anyway:)

Stormer999 Nov 1st 2009 7:58 am

Well why can't the UK sources make it? or is the recipe secret:confused:

ukkiwi Nov 1st 2009 8:00 am

Flit Whit = Latte

Stormer999 Nov 1st 2009 8:13 am

The Latte over here resembles goats milk gone off!

Dewb09 Nov 1st 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8061513)
The Latte over here resembles goats milk gone off!

???? where you buying yours:unsure:

just had a fantastic Latte in M&S yesterday :thumbsup: mind you probably tasted even better due to the fact I had no kids or hubby with me and just sat with a mag all by myself :rofl:

Dewb

nelsonpom Nov 1st 2009 9:31 am

Having worked in hospitality for many a year the standard of coffee making in NZ is vastly superior to UK, a good barista is priceless. I had to go to coffee school when I came here and I was so very impressed :D

Kiwiprincess Nov 1st 2009 9:34 am

Flat White Cafe.

And a flat white is not a latte!

kimandken Nov 1st 2009 9:39 am

I had never heard of Iced Coffee before i came to oz. I truly thought it would be rank, i was amazed. Now i'm hooked on the stuff! :D

Stormer999 Nov 1st 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 8061609)
Flat White Cafe.

And a flat white is not a latte!

Thank heavens for that....thought it must be my tast buds degenerating!:ohmy:

I have heard of that place in London fron a NZ lad working in Scotland. He said it was not quite right but as near as you can get in UK!
Bit far to go though!:thumbup:

Perry Groves Nov 1st 2009 10:18 am

I had some at Brookwood, tasted like water mixed with 3 granules of Nescafe:thumbdown:

luvwelly Nov 1st 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8061635)
Thank heavens for that....thought it must be my tast buds degenerating!:ohmy:

I have heard of that place in London fron a NZ lad working in Scotland. He said it was not quite right but as near as you can get in UK!
Bit far to go though!:thumbup:

I always have a trim latte here and have never actually tried a flat white but in UK on my trip back I noticed that although everyone now has latte on the menu (which wasn't the case before I left) they do vary a lot and it is much harder to find a decent one than in Wellington or indeed anywhere I have been in NZ.
M&S Cafe Revive would definitely be one of the better ones around especially if accompanied by a piece of Victoria Sandwich Cake...yum lucky you.

BTW someone told me a flat white was a latte with less froth..well I like the froth.

j19fmm Nov 1st 2009 10:47 am

Juice Moose at Drakes Circus, Plymouth make a fantastic Flat White - the only place I know that makes it here. Costa offered an Americano with cold milk as a substitute...yeuk!

irnbru14 Nov 2nd 2009 3:27 am

Place in Edinburgh called Wellington Coffee will do you a flat white! :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 2nd 2009 7:24 pm

There's a bb's in St.Helens & I got very excited when I saw they did flat whites. It was the most awful thing I've ever tasted & didn't look at all like a flat white. It was a huge disappointment :thumbdown: