Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fixing a number plate to a car

Fixing a number plate to a car

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Fixing a number plate to a car

Hi,
I've just got a car compliance checked and registered and got my shiny new NZ plates, trouble is they need to be screwed to the car and the holes don't line up. The original UK plate on the boot was held on by 4 screws at the corners of the plate which is outside the standard NZ plate. What I need is some sort of adapter where the ends get covered.
I've seen adapters which are about the size of the NZ plate and long frames for a NZ plate - but those long frames are still held by the standard NZ plate and its screws. I've also seen the frames/adapters for Euro-style plates which are a longer NZ plate which would fit my car, but that would need new euro-style plates which as far as I can tell (from plates.co.nz) cost a few hundred dollars.
Can anyone suggest a neat, legal and cheaper option?
Thanks,
John.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fixing a number plate to a car

just drill some holes through the plate that line up with a couple of the holes on the car
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
just drill some holes through the plate that line up with a couple of the holes on the car
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:23 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I did. or stick it on un-centred like some do. That would do my head in.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:44 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just stick them on in NZ? I'm sure they will not be ripped off and used in fuel theft down there....
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I'm sure they will not be ripped off and used in fuel theft down there....

It's been happening for years......you really must stop confusing wishful thinking with reality.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5238...-oil-companies

Last edited by Grayling; Dec 4th 2011 at 1:26 am.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Col, the problem is that the holes in the boot (four holes complete with inserts for the number plate screws) are so widely spaced that they are outside the footprint of the NZ plate.
The only option I've come up with so far is turning the UK plate over and fixing it back on with a bit of packing behind it so that when the NZ plate is screwed to it the screws don't reach the bodywork.

John
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:17 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnht
Col, the problem is that the holes in the boot (four holes complete with inserts for the number plate screws) are so widely spaced that they are outside the footprint of the NZ plate.
The only option I've come up with so far is turning the UK plate over and fixing it back on with a bit of packing behind it so that when the NZ plate is screwed to it the screws don't reach the bodywork.

John
John, presuming your old UK plates are thick plastic can't you drill a couple of pilot holes into the old plate corresponding with the holes in your new NZ plates and attach with a couple of self tapping screws? then flush off the plate backs and refit the old plates with the new plates attached to your car. If it's not beyond your skills you could tap the UK plates and just insert screws.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:31 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Would something like this help?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-429535989.htm
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I sent an email to that guy a couple of days ago and he was helpful, but doesn't do just the right combination of long adaptors for a std NZ plate. I am considering using the frames you linked to and drilling 4 holes in the corners - but I need to get back to the seller to check if that would work without the plate itself being screwed to the car, I think the frames are designed to be held on by the plate, not the other way round.
Thanks,
John.

Edit: just check my emails and he did say the NZ plate still needed to be screwed to the car.

Last edited by johnht; Dec 4th 2011 at 6:59 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
John, presuming your old UK plates are thick plastic can't you drill a couple of pilot holes into the old plate corresponding with the holes in your new NZ plates and attach with a couple of self tapping screws? then flush off the plate backs and refit the old plates with the new plates attached to your car. If it's not beyond your skills you could tap the UK plates and just insert screws.
Hi, the option I was considering was using a short bolt (cut even shorter if needs be) and thin nut as the plates are only a couple of mm thick. I'd then just need to stick some padding in to stop the nuts scratching the paint.

John.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:53 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's refreshing to see someone who actually cares about their car and what it looks like
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Would this help?
Get a couple of 4.5 or 6mm Clear perspex plates made to your old plate size & fit new ones to it with self tappers.

from these guys:-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...-428349009.htm

Last edited by mickey_d; Dec 4th 2011 at 10:14 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Would this help?
Get a couple of 4.5 or 6mm Clear perspex plates made to your old plate size & fit new ones to it with self tappers.

from these guys:-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...-428349009.htm
Thanks Mickey, I've just sent him a message, sounds promising.
John.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No more nails ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.