British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Fitting a new kitchen on a budget here in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fitting-new-kitchen-budget-here-nz-791034/)

barnsleymat Mar 19th 2013 1:36 am

Fitting a new kitchen on a budget here in NZ

I know it's been discussed before on here about how expensive it is to have a new kitchen fitted here in NZ. So I thought I'd let you in on what we did.

Firstly I got a quote from a builder who quoted me $7000 just for the cabinets fitting and those were only the L bit of the kitchen and not even touching the Island.

We firstly went to Mitre 10 Mega and quoted all the cabinets up, it came to about $2500 including the cheap workbenches, we planned to go on Boxing Day to take advantage of their Boxing Day sales. Thankfully I popped into Bunnings to see if they did bench tops and after talking to the guy in charge of the kitchen section I found out the did kitchens too, much better quality ones and even a bit cheaper. We fitted the kitchen ourselves and to be honest it was 20 times the amount of work than I expected, the original Kiwi kitchen was still in the house and I'm not sure why but it was fitted terribly, the cupboards we joined into the roof so we had to patch the walls and ceiling up which took days.

Anyway with everything included (doors, cupboards, plasterboard, oven, hob, electrician, bamboo bench tops, paint, sink, tap, splash backs, light fitting, screws, varnish, coving etc) we managed to fit an amazing kitchen for just over $6000. I just need to buy a range hood and blinds so that might put another $600 on the total which is a pretty great price by anyone's standards.

BEFORE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ED7FB0AC75.jpg

AFTER
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ED7197BD13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ED79FF041D.jpg

BEVS Mar 19th 2013 2:20 am

Re: Fitting a new kitchen on a budget here in NZ

Oh wow :eek: That looks so amazing. Am inspired to actually take the plunge and do our ancient kitchen.

Catchafire Mar 19th 2013 3:05 am

It's an expensive room to do for sure. Well done mate, looks great and a awesome budget.

Like the view from kitchen window!

Snap Shot Mar 19th 2013 3:47 am

Cor ! That is one posh kitchen you've got going on there. The view out of the kitchen window ain't bad either. Nice work. No range hood/extractor ? Could you have installed a one and a half bowl sink ? Where do you pour your cold tea when the missus is washing up ?

We just redecorated our kitchen as it has solid wood cupboards. We paid electricians to install new light fittings and re-jig the sockets and the light switches. A gas engineer installed the cooker and range hood.

Sink, workbench and lino are original. We didn't install a new sink as it would have been to much heartache to cut a new hole in the workbench or buy a new workbench to put the new sink in. I wanted to have the workbench re-sprayed but I couldn't get anyone professional to do it.

I'd like to see your new kitchen Matt, maybe I could collect my data stick while I'm there ?

Kiwikaye Mar 19th 2013 4:11 am

Looks great. We did our kitchen with Bunnings in Oz about 12 years ago - price was great. I can't exactly remember the all-up final cost but I know it was a lot cheaper than the kitchen company quote, and that was with having it installed professionally. We got our appliances through the home show, as they usually sell off the ones on display cheaply and you get them after the show's over.

Happy cooking!

barnsleymat Mar 19th 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10611819)
I'd like to see your new kitchen Matt, maybe I could collect my data stick while I'm there ?

Bloody hell, I'd forgot all about that!!!

I'm actually just waiting for the electrician that did some work on the kitchen to come and fit a socket in the hall where the computer is living now. I'll be able to turn the computer on then and sort it out.

Sorry

I've got all sorts of new stuff, latest stuff includes Derek, Storage Wars, Top Gear, Bering Sea Gold.

Wadda you fancy?

GoingIn2011 Mar 19th 2013 4:57 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10611852)

I'm actually just waiting for the electrician that did some work on the kitchen to come and fit a socket in the hall where the computer is living now. I'll be able to turn the computer on then and sort it out.

Sorry

I've got all sorts of new stuff, latest stuff includes Derek, Storage Wars, Top Gear, Bering Sea Gold.

Wadda you fancy?

You've got a pretty amazing view of the sea from the looks of those photos!

MrsFychan Mar 19th 2013 5:17 am

that's great, looks so much bigger and brighter.

Snap Shot Mar 19th 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10611852)

Sorry

Wadda you fancy?

Um, none of those thanks. I'll PM you.

Boopy Mar 19th 2013 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10611792)
It's an expensive room to do for sure. Well done mate, looks great and a awesome budget.

Like the view from kitchen window!

I have to agree here, an amazing job & yes fantastic views :thumbup:

babybella Mar 20th 2013 11:40 pm

Wow, it looks great. The quote we got from a kitchen co was $40,000. So I had been meaning to check out BnQ or bunnings. Yours looks fab.

barnsleymat Mar 21st 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10615553)
Wow, it looks great. The quote we got from a kitchen co was $40,000. So I had been meaning to check out BnQ or bunnings. Yours looks fab.

40 grand, bleeding hell!!!!

I wouldn't bother with Mitre 10, the 2 kitchen ranges they have in Bunnings are top class and very competitively priced. I got the touch screen hob and a good oven for $800 in a combo deal, prices like those just can't be matched.

My mate who helped me fit the kitchen worked for a luxury kitchen fitter in New Plymouth before moving down here. He says they just used kitchens from places like Bunnings, fitted them, added a few extra touches and charged the bloody earth.

jmh Mar 21st 2013 12:18 am

Mum had her kitchen done last year. She went through a builder she knows who had contacts at a small local kitchen co. Cost her $8000 for pulling out the old, refit, but not including appliances or glass splashback. They did a good job and the cabinets look flash and have all the fancy sliders and cutlery sections etc. It was a bit smaller than your one in the photos though.

dannigirl Mar 21st 2013 12:47 am

Looks lovely, great job! Lovely view, you must be up top of Andy Bay/Tomahawk with that view.

barnsleymat Mar 21st 2013 1:00 am

Originally Posted by dannigirl (Post 10615607)
Looks lovely, great job! Lovely view, you must be up top of Andy Bay/Tomahawk with that view.

Yeah we live at the top of Tomahawk Rd in Andy Bay.