Fish and chips?

Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Andyincambridgenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fish and chips?

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can buy English style soggy chips in Waikato area as I'm fed up with the dry things I could burn at home. The fish is fine and the price even better
Old Dec 28th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish and chips?

Have you tried Robison Street chippy, they are not bad(and they do a mean fish burger) or the one across from BP,
I think its just called Victoria chippy. there's another place over in Leamington that's not bad, its on Shakespeare
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

If you want greasy chips you are probably out of luck. The Queen Vic is the best chippy of the three juscol mentions, followed by the Leamington one, but they are Kiwi style chips.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get proper chips cos no one gives you chips with vinegar! Hehehe
Old Dec 28th 2013, 11:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Difficult one.

I like a good chip. Not skinny. Not microwave. Not soggy & not doused in salt.

I like my chip to be fattish in size . Crisp (ish) ( very ish) on the outside. Tender on the inside and simply perfect.

Tough one
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Going to make you all jealous! Had fish and chips with mushy peas in Whitby, N.Yorks yesterday. They were amazing want more now!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the chips and portion sizes when we were in New Zealand.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:54 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to make them steam in a paper parcel, and how you do that is spread out 4 sheets of newspaper, on top of that you can use a couple of sheets of butchers paper, the white paper they use in the supermarket, place the chips on that , sprinkle with salt , wrap the parcel up making sure there's no holes and leave it to steam for 4 minutes , cut a hole in one end only and start to eat, it might sound like theres allot to do but trust me , if you love soggy chips this is the best way.

Yuk...I'll stick to the Kiwi chups....
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:02 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

And the English shop in Cambridge sells Sarson's, if that's a must! English shop looks like a newsagents and is sort of opposite the Deli on the Corner - you'll know when you've found it!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:19 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Another Sarsons Vinegar fan. I didn't think I was the only one. I buy mine from an ex-pat shop too. Chips without vinegar along with salt ? Unthinkable ! Oh, and if it's got to be vinegar, then it's got to be Sarsons Malt vinegar.

(George's fish and chip shop here in Wanganui is great. Long way from Hamilton though. So is Hook, Line and Sinker which is the other fish and chip shop here in Wanganui. All cooked to order, nothing is kept in the warming cabinet, because there isn't a warming cabinet. Proper fat chips made from freshly cut potato. Not frozen chips like some NZ fish and chip shops. The fish is dipped in freshly made batter before frying too. You select your fish from the display in the window as it's a fish mongers too.)
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:47 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop it you are making me hungry... Though I find the vinegar I used on the warm cabinet soggies but i do not miss it on the crisp, crunchy fresh mades..
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Andyincambridgenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx for the. Replies I will try a few out and if successful let you know. Andy
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
And the English shop in Cambridge sells Sarson's, if that's a must! English shop looks like a newsagents and is sort of opposite the Deli on the Corner - you'll know when you've found it!
Not found sarsons anywhere in Southland
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Going to make you all jealous! Had fish and chips with mushy peas in Whitby, N.Yorks yesterday. They were amazing want more now!
Haddock !
Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andyincambridgenz
Hi,
Does anyone know where I can buy English style soggy chips in Waikato area as I'm fed up with the dry things I could burn at home. The fish is fine and the price even better
I like Kiwi F & C........

just pour the malt vinegar over the chips.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.