First Week Update

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:52 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Week Update

Hi All

Been in NZ now for (nearly) one whole week and having a geat, but tiring, time. Just thought we'd let you know where we're at and what's been going on. So far we've been amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone has been. We haven't seen one grumpy face! When we've been stuck whoever we've dealt with have either lent us something, picked up to phone and called a mate/contact who can help or found pen and paper and given us details to point us in the right direction. We've even been lent two cars!

Sunday had a mooch round. Got Vodaphone PAYG sims. $35 each with $15 credit. Sounds good? Gone in no time - probably most expensive mobile tariff in the universe!!

We'd already set up a bank account and po box number from the UK. Monday we went to get IRD numbers. Simple form to fill in, they took copy of passport and said it would be sent within 7-10 days. Had phone call couple of days later to check a couple of details. Asked the lady if she could tell us our numbers as we need those to register for various things and were told good as gold, no probs, call you back in 10. Which she did. Official letter still to come in post in about a week.

We were in a Real Estate office looking at property and were asked to pose in their new family reception area for their forthcoming newspaper article - they paid in big chocolate bars so how could we refuse!!

Currently staying in a great motel with just the best owners who have been so kind and helpful. Spent 2-3 days looking at houses. Real Estates guys are fantastic but can have very vivid imaginations and poetic descriptions but after day 1 they kinda got the hang that we are not riched up poms. We had to be very firm, politely of course, and very repetitive that there was simply no point showing us anything above our limit. By Wednesday we found what to us is just a great house that feels like home and is within our low budget. Put in conditional offer (eg. subject to finance and LIM and title) which was accepted that evening. Already had mortgage agreed in principle but then came against stumbling block at as we're on 30 month work visas, not PR, we couldn't borrow more than 80% of the value of the property. Lots of help, advice and running around and frantic phone calls, our very knowledgeable finance advisor sorted it all for us and although we'll have to pay over the odds initially on interest and set up fees etc it should all go smoothly and we should complete next week.

I don't know why kiwis aren't thought to have a sense of humour - dealing with one bank the girl had us in stitches, especially when she mentioned what the variable rate was! Boy, you should've seen the tears rolling down

We've also bought a car. Not one we'd have ever bought in the UK, but the cars here (in CCh anyway) don't seem to rust. The engines are so clean as is the bodywork and interiors. We must have looked at several hundred (least that what OH tells me I'd done) before choosing a black 1991 Toyota Celica which the kids thought was just fab. Although I haven't been brave enough to drive it myself yet am going to tomorrow so I can get to know my way round as next week OH is off to work so I'd be a bit stuck otherwise. Luckily our daughter is great at navigating so will be installing her in front seat as my in car SatNav. Couldn't believe how trusting the garage blokes are though, they don't need to find special plates for a test drive, you don't need to book an appointment and they don't come with you! Most in fact suggested we keep the car overnight and have a good drive around the next day to see if we liked it, with no deposit or name or address details asked!

We've been for coffee with Sky in Rangiora which was good to finally put a face to a name and her stories and advice made us laugh - hope to be able to keep in touch with her. And we had just the best evening at Wiz and Toni's with their killer cat the other night. It was great to be able to just sit and relax and chat and Toni is a fabulous cook. They're an absolute oracle of information, help and generosity - so very many thanks to them - will be returning favour just as soon as we can guys

Spent two hours in bank today to open new account ready for mortgage. Also got car insurance there (just over $100) and quote for building and contents which seemed reasonable. Takes some getting used to all these bank charges! It is our money afterall, but there's a monthly fee, a yearly fee for a plain, simple credit card, etc, etc. We'd transferred over our GBP to $ and got our first interest added, then tax came off!! Even the kids pay tax on their savings accounts - oh, and they need an IRD number to in order to open an account.

We've been food shopping at the Pac n Save which was a bit weird but very reasonably priced. And we've been to The Warehouse which we thought was fab and reminded us of Charlies or Hooties back in the UK.

Personally I think CCh is brill. There are so many shops, prices are reasonable and there is plenty of choice. You don't pay a fortune if you want UK branded products - Colegate, OXO, Cadbury's, Heinz, etc but saying that there is so much NZ brand choice here. We haven't had any bad vibes yet from anyone about being English or immigrants. We chat to people, even just passing in the street, everywhere we go and they all seem open and friendly.

So far we're very happy with our choices. We have appointments to look around the schools near our house next week. Kids can't wait to start and have already picked their preferred school - although I feel a difference of opinion coming on!

Anyway, think that's enough blurb from us for now! Very glad to be here and not missing home at all (although it helps we have msn and webcam and email friends/family regularly)
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Week Update

Nice to read your update.

Good luck in your new life.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

You have been busy! Was good to read your update... I should be doing a 2 year one soon when I can get round to it.

Have fun in your new house! ... and your new car!

Cheers, SarahB
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Good to here that everything is going well for you. The first few weeks seem pretty hectic - so much to get organised! Life does get back to normal eventually. Good luck with your new home.
Planty.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to hear your news. Always useful read of a newbies experiences. Good to hear your children are happy and keen to start school!
We decided yesterday that now we have the visa hubby will hand in his 3 months notice and we'll be coming to NZ in October!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:48 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with Christchurch. Lovely city. When you get a chance to drive have a look over the port Hills and drive through Governers bays to Banks Penninsular.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:55 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Lovely to hear your news. Always useful read of a newbies experiences. Good to hear your children are happy and keen to start school!
We decided yesterday that now we have the visa hubby will hand in his 3 months notice and we'll be coming to NZ in October!
Good luck. You'll be coming at a warmer time of year than us!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:00 am
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Good luck with Christchurch. Lovely city. When you get a chance to drive have a look over the port Hills and drive through Governers bays to Banks Penninsular.
I drove for the first time today! Around Cch and out to Rangiora and Cust and back again with no incidents or accidents at all I seem to remember reading somewhere that is your favourite view? Will definitely go out that way first chance we get.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hi, that was lovely to read. We are flying 17th July to AK and i am bricking it at the moment, so reading how you are getting on so well cheers me up no end . Thanks!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:28 am
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hi, that was lovely to read. We are flying 17th July to AK and i am bricking it at the moment, so reading how you are getting on so well cheers me up no end . Thanks!!
Hope all goes well for you. If we can help in anyway pm us. Good luck and don't worry it all seems to sort itself in the end. Wishing you a good journey xx
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

hi what a great read, we are over in october and cant wait, good luck
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Embo........God, you know how to make people jealous!!

Glad to hear everything is going well for you all. We are hoping to be out early July.

All the Best
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:24 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Just seeing how much you've accomplished in one short week is making my head spin! Many congrats on a successful move, and best of luck buying a house!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Lovely post - glad all is good for you
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:34 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donnaf
Lovely post - glad all is good for you
Great to hear you're settling in well, bloody exhausting isn't it?! We've found the same with everyone being so helpful and the Kiwi's we've met all seem to have a sense of humour (not entirely sure they get mine, but that's nothing new!)

Keep up the updates and best of luck to you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.