Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

first trip back to UK

first trip back to UK

Old May 1st 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first trip back to UK

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Also my best bud Pumpkinlou going back Tuesday from Chch
She has been here since November and is off back to Blighty
Do you mean she's going back permanently?
Old May 1st 2009, 2:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home Joshlin. Very similar to my impressions last year - I'd never fly through Heathrow again - I thought it was horrible How's your jet lag? It's a lot in just a few weeks isn't it? you've no sooner got over the first lot.....
Old May 1st 2009, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Welcome home Joshlin. Very similar to my impressions last year - I'd never fly through Heathrow again - I thought it was horrible How's your jet lag? It's a lot in just a few weeks isn't it? you've no sooner got over the first lot.....
thanks - jet lag not too bad - although all asleep by 7.30pm last night and most of us up at 4.30am - daughter went through to 7.45am - bet she wakes us all up tomorrow
Old May 1st 2009, 3:21 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys - great to hear you're back and that you had a decent time over in the UK. Look forward to catching up and hearing all about it at drinks next weekend!

We're planning on a trip in April 2010 if the gods of finance allow, and that'll be 3 and a bit years for me so it'll be interesting to see how things are.

Laters!
Old May 1st 2009, 3:59 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi guys - great to hear you're back and that you had a decent time over in the UK. Look forward to catching up and hearing all about it at drinks next weekend!

We're planning on a trip in April 2010 if the gods of finance allow, and that'll be 3 and a bit years for me so it'll be interesting to see how things are.

Laters!
Im going back on June 13th for 2 weeks, camt wait and should be interesting
Old May 1st 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Do you mean she's going back permanently?
Yes pumpkinlou is now back permanently in the UK.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

I am returning for two weeks on 13th May, to see my Dad who is very ill
Will be attending two major events, my son's 21st and my brother's 50th
None of them aware I am returning and big surprise
I guess now I am glad kept it secret, so no one can make plans for my visit and I can see the people who are dear and close to me
Mixed emotions for sure, dreading the flight in many ways, the traffic, the queues, also the rush and push feeling
Will I be ready to return, well all I can say is love it here in NZ and the last few weeks never been better
The real pull and wish to return is back to my great husband, two younger wonderful children, and my home here in New Zealand

D
Old May 1st 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
Yes pumpkinlou is now back permanently in the UK.
That's a shock seeing as her last post was so positive. I'm surprised more people don't go back to be honest. Life's too short to stay where you are not happy.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwichicks
I am returning for two weeks on 13th May, to see my Dad who is very ill
Will be attending two major events, my son's 21st and my brother's 50th
None of them aware I am returning and big surprise
I guess now I am glad kept it secret, so no one can make plans for my visit and I can see the people who are dear and close to me
Mixed emotions for sure, dreading the flight in many ways, the traffic, the queues, also the rush and push feeling
Will I be ready to return, well all I can say is love it here in NZ and the last few weeks never been better
The real pull and wish to return is back to my great husband, two younger wonderful children, and my home here in New Zealand

D
Enjoy the trip Kiwichicks - your Dad notwithstanding...my family member has rallied a bit apparently.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Just returned from our trip back to the UK - first in two years.
Loved seeing friends and family and familiar sights.
UK was dirty, noisy and full of people and cars. Could not believe how long it took to drive around London. Amazed to see how many high street shops had closed. Service was dire and it was very hard to find a good coffee. Everyone seemed depressed and eye contact non existant.
It was quite funny to see how suspicion people were when you went to help them! For instance I swear alot of the elderly people I helped carry bags for etc thought I was going to mug them
There was a frenetic energy that existed in London and everyone seemed to race around and get stressed over nothing! I used to be one of those people and I am so glad I no longer sit in that bubble.
The amount of shops, bars, pubs and restaurants was excellent, so much choice - definately miss that. But was most disappointed with the supermarkets, hated the queues and most of them looked as if a bomb had hit them recently.
NZ and the UK are different, one is not better than the other just different. My home for now is NZ and I am so glad to be home. Missed the blue skies, my house and garden, friends and the countryside.
Hope all of you heading back to the UK have a safe journey.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:21 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good time though nero.
I'm going back this October for a 2 week visit ( that was the longest I wanted to go!) I'm pretty much just going to be staying with my parents with a trip down to Glasgow to see my friends and family there too.
It's all I want to do as it's the only reason I'm going back. To see my dad who doesn't travel well and to see my new wee nephew ( and his mum and dad!)
I'm really looking forward to it but it's all about the people for me.
I'm hoping this time I don't get so homesick for here.
Oh and I did everything I could to avoid Heathrow - did that last time and it was like the pit of hell!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Just got a note from my old mate this morning - his trip back to the UK - first in 5 years. I just thought it's kinda funny............

we are now in Yorkshire where they talk funny (like Lancashire - only different!). We fly out back next sunday so we are into cleaning boots etc and buying up BIG in Marks and Spencer!

(He has a Lancashire accent and I used to tease him a LOT about his funny accent tho! - as it's not my kind of accent that I like! )

See? All you guys back home, no wonder they all shoppingholic!?

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 24th 2009 at 12:29 am.