Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

first trip back to UK

first trip back to UK

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default first trip back to UK

Hi Guys
4 sleeps and we do our first trip back to uk. been here 3.5 years so going back with mixed emotions - really looking forward to seeing friends and family, not so bothered about seeing the UK
really hoping that we can't wait to get back to NZ again, but concerned that all those leaving UK feelings will be back as well - especially for the children. Son was 3 when we came and daughter was 1.
how have others found it?
we'll let you know how we go
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:34 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first trip back to UK

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Guys
4 sleeps and we do our first trip back to uk. been here 3.5 years so going back with mixed emotions - really looking forward to seeing friends and family, not so bothered about seeing the UK
really hoping that we can't wait to get back to NZ again, but concerned that all those leaving UK feelings will be back as well - especially for the children. Son was 3 when we came and daughter was 1.
I wasn't away for so long (just about 6 months) but even in that time the place seemed to ooze a very run down feel. It didn't help that when I went back 6 (yes six!) high street chains shut their doors including Woolies...so every high street had massive 'holes' in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love England....am am proud to be English, but the atmosphere has certainly as 'down' as I've felt it since the miners strike!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:02 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We had similar feelings - went back after three years.
Everything felt crowded and almost claustrophobic, people were the same as when we left, but gloomier!
It felt weird to be back - familiar but foreign. I felt sort of detached from everything.
It was wonderful to see friends and family and with good friends we were just as though we hadn't been away.
We invited a load of people to meet us at a pub and half of them didn't bother to turn up - shows who your friends are!
Didn't feel we were missing anything.

The Yorkshire beer was nice though
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Lincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really nice

Hi Guys
Hi Joshlin,
We are also going back to the UK we have only got 1 sleep to go though!!!! We will have been away from the UK for 4 years while we are there, so quite keen to see how things have changed. Our daughters are 18 and 16 now so they were older when we left but they are still very excited about going back to catch up with friends. Have a good flight.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys
We did it after 2 years...i could not wait to get back to NZ. Theres much I love about the UK but living there ain't one of them!!!! Have no desire OR intention to return for many many many moons. Its a waste of money for me. I came to live here not to be constantly revisiting the place I have no wish to live now.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:52 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
We did it after 2 years...i could not wait to get back to NZ. Theres much I love about the UK but living there ain't one of them!!!! Have no desire OR intention to return for many many many moons. Its a waste of money for me. I came to live here not to be constantly revisiting the place I have no wish to live now.
we went back just after we'd did a year. Seeing friends and family was great, and sorry to everybody else who's posted we loved be 'ome. Good as NZ is, and it is in lots of ways it will never, ever be 'ome.

To everyone here who's Welsh, Hiraeth for those of you who aren't, don't worry, you'd never understand
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Going back on Tuesday
See friends retail therapy etc...
Then I will be coming HOME (here is 100% home)

17 year old daughter (moved here aged 15) looking forward to it but
i just know she will be glad to be back to little old Blenheim!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
we went back just after we'd did a year. Seeing friends and family was great, and sorry to everybody else who's posted we loved be 'ome. Good as NZ is, and it is in lots of ways it will never, ever be 'ome.

To everyone here who's Welsh, Hiraeth for those of you who aren't, don't worry, you'd never understand
I'm planning a long holiday back at 2 year point and am really looking forward to it......I do go a bit 'stir crazy' here as my only escape so far has been to Oz....need to get a fix of castles, old buildings and of course catch up with old friends and the rellies who haven't made it out here yet. Love the UK..will retire back there for sure.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I'm planning a long holiday back at 2 year point and am really looking forward to it......I do go a bit 'stir crazy' here as my only escape so far has been to Oz....need to get a fix of castles, old buildings and of course catch up with old friends and the rellies who haven't made it out here yet. Love the UK..will retire back there for sure.
Joshlin, Lincolnshire Lass and Frenchy - I wish you all a happy trip. I know Ash1 is due for their first visit in 2 years soon too. I hope it is lovely for you all to catch up with family and friends, I am sure it will be. Enjoy.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:05 am
Just Joined

here to stay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkie down under

Hi, im guessing your "homesick"..just wondering where in Wales are you from, Im from the North
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Love the UK..will retire back there for sure.
am going back to the UK in 2011! (first trip back !!! yay! in 5 years!!!)

quite keen to see how things have changed. meeting lovely friends first ...

I am considering retiring to the UK as well (too young? to think about? :... sounds funny? ......). I am looking into it, I am considering it. That's the only way makes me feel better...really.

I LOVE the UK. just about everything!

It doesn't mean I am unhappy being in NZ. But I don't seem content with my life here for some reason. (I am not content to socialize with a very small circle of people in particular)

need Intellectual Sophistication & Stimulation too! &

Most importantly I’d like to get married in England That's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails first trip back to UK-ox-england-1.jpg   first trip back to UK-c0061977.jpg   first trip back to UK-too-much-rain.jpg   first trip back to UK-dcce985a-2932-46af-b6df-471c537a6e5c.jpg   first trip back to UK-banger-mash.jpg  

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Going back on Tuesday
See friends retail therapy etc...
Then I will be coming HOME (here is 100% home)

17 year old daughter (moved here aged 15) looking forward to it but
i just know she will be glad to be back to little old Blenheim!!!
we travel tuesday too - what flights / route you taking, might see you en route!!! we're going qantas (great deal) from chch to sydney to heathrow via bangkok.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:40 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by here to stay
Hi, im guessing your "homesick"..just wondering where in Wales are you from, Im from the North
gog eh!

Lovely West Wales me, but worked still in the valleys. Had an hour and half commute each way, 6 days a week and I loved it
Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

we travel tuesday too - what flights / route you taking, might see you en route!!! we're going qantas (great deal) from chch to sydney to heathrow via bangkok.
Air New Zealand (hubby works for them!!! ) AKL Hong Kong London. Have a safe trip and a fab time
Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Also my best bud Pumpkinlou going back Tuesday from Chch
She has been here since November and is off back to Blighty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.