Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First timer to Forums & Emigration ! Schools, Trucking, Mortgages

First timer to Forums & Emigration ! Schools, Trucking, Mortgages

Old May 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Twindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant future
Question First timer to Forums & Emigration ! Schools, Trucking, Mortgages

Hi all, just a note to say hi from us to you, we are a family with 3 young children looking for a better life for them (and us too!) Hope to go to NZ, north island in about 18 months.
Currently working as Class 1 Fuel Tanker Driver and have so far had positive response from the 2 employers I have e mailed so far!
I realise that as of now the profession is not on the Long term skills shortage list so therefore would only really be able to go on a 3 year work permit but what I really would like to know is that ... can I purchase property , send my kiddies to school etc etc?? Thought about phoning NZ office in London but was spooked away by the 1 pound a minute charge!!!!!
Any advice would be most gratefully received!!
Thanks
Old May 20th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: First timer to Forums & Emigration !

Originally Posted by Twindaddy3
Hi all, just a note to say hi from us to you, we are a family with 3 young children looking for a better life for them (and us too!) Hope to go to NZ, north island in about 18 months.
Currently working as Class 1 Fuel Tanker Driver and have so far had positive response from the 2 employers I have e mailed so far!
I realise that as of now the profession is not on the Long term skills shortage list so therefore would only really be able to go on a 3 year work permit but what I really would like to know is that ... can I purchase property , send my kiddies to school etc etc?? Thought about phoning NZ office in London but was spooked away by the 1 pound a minute charge!!!!!
Any advice would be most gratefully received!!
Thanks
Hello & welcome!

We too are going for a 3 year work permit and have been advised there will be no problem with our kids going to school. As for buying property, I read somewhere that if you have a work permit it's fine to buy but you will need to put down between a 20% & 50% deposit.

I know what you mean about phoning NZ house, we did this a couple of times and it cost close on £30 because of the holding you have to do. Nightmare phone system, we discovered afterwards that its cheaper to phone the New Zealand office.
Good luck to all of you
Old May 20th 2008, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Twindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant futureTwindaddy3 has a brilliant future

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. That's reassuring! Can you please tell me if you know that the 3 year work permits can be renewed every 3 years if an offer of employment still stands?
Also do you know what other visas we will need for the rest of the gang? Namely my Wife and 3 little people!!

Thanks

Simon
Old May 20th 2008, 11:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Twindaddy3
Hi and have some karma for your newness. I am moving this thread into the main forum .

Originally Posted by twindaddy
I realise that as of now the profession is not on the Long term skills shortage list so therefore would only really be able to go on a 3 year work permit
Trucking wasn't on the Long Term Shortage List to my knowledge. It is on the Immediate Shortage List though. As trucking isn't seen as a skilled occupation , the only route to being a Permanent Resident a thtis moment in time seems to be through Work to Residency or Residency from Work. This requires a job offer from an accredited employer and the salary will need to be $55K per annum.

As you say, you are still able to come in to live and work in New Zealand on a temporary work visa. The length of the work visa depends on the length of the job offer contract
i.e. If you are offered 3 years then the work visa will be for 3 years. This is renewable once the 3 yrs are up.
The temporary work permit ties you to the employer. Should you change employer you will need to notify NZIS.

but what I really would like to know is that ... can I purchase property
Yes but you will be seen as high risk. Please have a read of THIS THREAD for some previous posts. (click the4 pale blue link)

...., send my kiddies to school etc etc??
Yes. You can put your kids into school , no problemo, with a work visa under your belt.
Old May 21st 2008, 6:29 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First timer to Forums & Emigration ! Schools, Trucking, Mortgages

To avoid the high phone rates, have you tried....

http://www.saynoto0870.com/
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:50 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Met a 'trucker' who moved to NZ 6 weeks ago on the hope of getting a job and settling, he went for 3 jobs in the bay of plenty area and was offered all 3, he's just waiting for his work visa.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jacky here,we came here on 3 year WTR visa,both myself and Garry are on WTR..kids need a student visa before they can go to school....As far as I'm aware My oh is tied in to his employer for 2 years and can apply for PR after the 2 years are up...or so we have been lead to believe...hope this helps...Jacky