Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

first time in Nz where can i go for a mud bath?

first time in Nz where can i go for a mud bath?

Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default first time in Nz where can i go for a mud bath?

Hi All
I am spending 7 nights in auckland and 7 nights in Wellington- where can i go for amazing mud baths in AUCKLAND AND WELLINGTON? I will be hiring a car, And i cant wait to see the volcanic mud baths, with an opportunity to sit in a mud bath all day and relax. Can anyone shed some light with regards to where I can go>? I understand there are also therapeutic qualities to the water. I will be taking my parents and all they have been going on about is these mud baths! Lolz

so far, some people have mentioned rotorua for mud baths and relaxation is that the place to go?

All help and tips are most welcome.
Thank You for your time

Last edited by Imz; Sep 27th 2009 at 10:08 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:03 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: first time in Nz where can i go for a mud bath?

Hi Imz,

I believe there are a few spa places North of Auckland. The best known one in Rotorua is the Polynesian Spa

HTH
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:18 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future

Hi Am,

Thank You for your response I will try and look that up on the net. It would be great to get a comprehensive list of mud baths for future visitors to Wellington or Auckland on here. I guess its not a question that arises that often but what a magical experience it must be to spend a whole day at a volanic mud bath, such a rarity in the UK!

Thanks X

Last edited by Imz; Sep 27th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not heard of any mud baths in Auckland (that's not to say there aren't any of course). We went to one at Hell's Gate in Rotorua a few years ago now. Also been to the Polynesian Spa but didn't have a mud bath there. There's a spa at Waiwera, approx 40mins north of Auckland. Might be worth PM'ing NZGrl as she knows all about it.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:42 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

my house,bring your swimsuit(optional),3 tons of soil(ill provide the water),a couple of friends and turn your mobile off.
if youre male,i cant help you.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
my house,bring your swimsuit(optional),3 tons of soil(ill provide the water),a couple of friends and turn your mobile off.
Do you scrub backs too?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
what a magical experience it must be to spend a whole day at a volanic mud bath, such a rarity in the UK!
You do realise that the volcanic mud is bubbling at boiling point? NOBODY would bathe in that for one second, let alone a whole day
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest Hell's Gate as possibly the place for your mud bath. There's loads of thermal spas & baths in Rotorua and surrounding areas, but most of them seem to be thermal hot pools, incredibly relaxing but not a lot of mud involved. Hell's Gate is the only place that I know of where you can bathe in the mud.

If your parents are interested in therapeutic waters & treatments QE Hospital does some great therapy treatments at a reasonable price, certainly cheaper than some of the local spas & you get a great treatment, although the views aren't all that...being in the middle of a hospital . Anyone can book in, so might be a nice treat for them. They also have a mud bath therapy
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by this charming man
I'm female
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:57 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

$20 an hour,willing to discuss "extras"(priced accordingly).
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:04 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Hi Guys

Thank You so much for ur suggestions I will defo go to Hells Gate. What did u guys think when u went there?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi Guys

Thank You so much for ur suggestions I will defo go to Hells Gate. What did u guys think when u went there?
We were there approx 4 years ago, so it may have changed now. We went into a thermal pool first & were then shown into the 'mud pool' area. The actual mud pool was quite small. After a length of time, the staff let you know it's time to rinse off. The shower to rinse off with is freezing cold apparently this is therapeutic . Good one-off experience but I don't feel the need to repeat it

Enjoy!