Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

Instead of condemning those in their 20s and 30s, I genuinely feel sorry for you. Your elders and supposed betters sold your futures out on the promise of tax cuts on higher rate incomes and in New Zealand, no taxes on capital gains or family trusts, while the borders were opened to anyone with money. Shame you'll be renting or flat-sharing well into your 40s, maybe longer. And as for the kids of today, the children of friends of mine, they're saddled with huge amounts of debt before they've even left learning. No wonder New Zealand has one of the lowest personal saving rates in the world
A huge thanks for your post, that sums up my life from 2003 to 2011 in the UK. When asked why I came to NZ, I like to say its because I want the same lifestyle afforded to my parents (through hard graft) but denied as the cards were stacked against my generation.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

So just to set the record straight so everyone is clear on the matter, Bellasmums family have worked much much harder
than anyone else ever has and they deserve what they have far more than anyone else deserves what they might have.

For goodness sake, take the broom from up your arse and get over yourself love, your not that special
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

This is a great read when working nights, more intriguing than a Jack Ryan novel.

Nothing like a good catfight.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmac
This is a great read when working nights, more intriguing than a Jack Ryan novel.

Nothing like a good catfight.
No cat fight from me. There is nothing wrong with a debate but this is not up for debate I see. The pack is howling loud and clear.

It is amazing how some people can conveniently misuse the contents of a post from its content just because it doesn't sing their song (or is it a full moon tonight).

My comments here are over. Think I will go out and bang my head against a brick just because I can.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

You better have a bottle of Buckfast before you go banging your head on a brick - and why just the one brick?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
A huge thanks for your post, that sums up my life from 2003 to 2011 in the UK. When asked why I came to NZ, I like to say its because I want the same lifestyle afforded to my parents (through hard graft) but denied as the cards were stacked against my generation.

It's a big problem and it's not just specific to the UK or New Zealand. For those who are interested in looking at the bigger picture, it's also becoming a concern in the United States. Three pieces have recently caught my eye, the first two in the New York Times:

As politicians and pundits in Washington continue to spar over whether economic inequality is in fact deepening, in corporate America there really is no debate at all. The post-recession reality is that the customer base for businesses that appeal to the middle class is shrinking as the top tier pulls even further away.

If there is any doubt, the speed at which companies are adapting to the new consumer landscape serves as very convincing evidence. Within top consulting firms and among Wall Street analysts, the shift is being described with a frankness more often associated with left-wing academics than business experts.

“Those consumers who have capital like real estate and stocks and are in the top 20 percent are feeling pretty good,” said John G. Maxwell, head of the global retail and consumer practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/bu...-world.html?hp

And more importantly, Thomas Piketty's book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century which is making huge waves at the moment. The general scope of his argument is this:

One is that the six-decade period of growing equality in western nations – starting roughly with the onset of World War I and extending into the early 1970s – was unique and highly unlikely to be repeated. That period, Piketty suggests, represented an exception to the more deeply rooted pattern of growing inequality.

According to Piketty, those halcyon six decades were the result of two world wars and the Great Depression. The owners of capital – those at the top of the pyramid of wealth and income – absorbed a series of devastating blows. These included the loss of credibility and authority as markets crashed; physical destruction of capital throughout Europe in both World War I and World War II; the raising of tax rates, especially on high incomes, to finance the wars; high rates of inflation that eroded the assets of creditors; the nationalization of major industries in both England and France; and the appropriation of industries and property in post-colonial countries.

At the same time, the Great Depression produced the New Deal coalition in the United States, which empowered an insurgent labor movement. The postwar period saw huge gains in growth and productivity, the benefits of which were shared with workers who had strong backing from the trade union movement and from the dominant Democratic Party. Widespread support for liberal social and economic policy was so strong that even a Republican president who won easily twice, Dwight D. Eisenhower, recognized that an assault on the New Deal would be futile. In Eisenhower’s words, “Should any political party attempt to abolish Social Security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear from that party again in our political history.”

The six decades between 1914 and 1973 stand out from the past and future, according to Piketty, because the rate of economic growth exceeded the after-tax rate of return on capital. Since then, the rate of growth of the economy has declined, while the return on capital is rising to its pre-World War I levels.

“If the rate of return on capital remains permanently above the rate of growth of the economy – this is Piketty’s key inequality relationship,” Milanovic writes in his review, it “generates a changing functional distribution of income in favor of capital and, if capital incomes are more concentrated than incomes from labor (a rather uncontroversial fact), personal income distribution will also get more unequal — which indeed is what we have witnessed in the past 30 years.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/op...democracy.html

This is also what has happened in New Zealand. Same in parts of the UK. Here's the title of a piece in The Guardian:

What does it tell us about the housing market that my flat earns so much more than I do?

So Piketty is right in the sense that owners of capital — real estate, stocks and shares and so on — are seeing larger returns than those earning wages.

But the additional problem in New Zealand is that a couple of its core industries: primary exports and tourism are not huge earners. They're the pillars of many third-world economies and New Zealand's main problem is that it's so far away from markets for export goods.

So, in the larger sense, the returns from the property market in New Zealand are unsustainable in the long-term because they're outstripping people's ability to earn enough to meet those costs. There will be a stagnation or correction at some point.

This is the Governor of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand just a few months ago:

"New Zealand's house prices are expensive, based on international comparisons of house prices relative to rents and to levels of household income. And our household debt levels relative to disposable income having doubled over the past two decades are also very high," he wrote.
Doubled over the past two decades. Exactly what I've been saying all along. No amount of harking back to the 70s and early 80s is going to change this fact. It's a totally different world these days and those who can't or won't understand this aren't part of the solution, in my view.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The same debate is going on in Vancouver, BC, Canada too. I agree with Purr - this is an international issue.

We were lucky, in retrospect, to get in the market here in 2004. Now I don't know what we would do - probably still buy but in a much different area to where we have ended up with the gross commute to match.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Hopefully there is a big crash in Auckland and at least 50% of the value is wiped off.
:
If this happens NZ is stuffed.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:49 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd wish people to lose 50% of their property value - think of all those folk who would be in negative equity for the next 20 years

I've got a better plan: CGT, plus tighter regulations about what landlords must provide (reduce the get-rich-quickness of being a LL). I have a gas heater and hot water in my rental and when we asked if they could both be checked/ serviced the landlord and the agent thought this a very funny request and have not had it done. Needless to say we won't be using the unflued gas heater (with fuzzed up filters) while here. Also, we have NO smoke alarms, and some windows don't secure shut well- nothing on the DHB site suggests a landlord is compelled to fix these issues, and anyway, we all know the rules: piss off your landlord in a house you like at your own peril.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
If this happens NZ is stuffed.
Fully agree ,But Davros would be laughing his head off, as this issue wouldn't affect him, however rising house prices do so he's taking his ball home. Don't go moving to London, Vancouver, Parts of OZ, UEA, Paris, most major cities in the UK etc etc. As the ranting will continue once there also.

Some very bitter commentary for an armagedeon situation, which many levelled economic outlook puts as unlikely (in real "crash" terms - a slowing and short-term dip more likely), but such a situation could affect a high number of people, likely young families/ mainly indigenous with mortgages to pay.. Wanting this out of spite is childish.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northern Henry
Some very bitter commentary for an armagedeon situation, :
Yes I've been running through a few domestic scenarios to bring about the 50% drop in Aucklands house prices. Foot and mouth outbreak, volcanic eruptions, terrorist attacks. It's all a bit much for my morning tea break.
Of course if the Chinese economy grinds to a halt that could possibly do the trick too. But that would stuff up the whole world, so maybe that wouldn't be so bad? Or would it? Oh dear
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Yes I've been running through a few domestic scenarios to bring about the 50% drop in Aucklands house prices. Foot and mouth outbreak, volcanic eruptions, terrorist attacks. It's all a bit much for my morning tea break.
Of course if the Chinese economy grinds to a halt that could possibly do the trick too. But that would stuff up the whole world, so maybe that wouldn't be so bad? Or would it? Oh dear
all possible and rightly so, you missed asteroids ,
But your comment wasn't bitter, more the quoted wish from others to a wider audience in different circumstances.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northern Henry

But your comment wasn't bitter, more the quoted wish from others to a wider audience in different circumstances.
Thanks I knew u weren't directing at me. I was agreeing with you!

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Feb 3rd 2014 at 8:32 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

The 50% is what needs to happen , however I know its not realistic. It would hurt too many people. Although part of me does wish these people would learn a lesson. Please note that after Bellasmum's shocking comments in another thread, it riled me up (hence an outburst). That was me letting off some steam. But you're right northern henry, it would amuse me.

A friend of ours (she's a nurse) was allowed to buy a house for $700,000 early last year as a first time buyer. She earns a salary of $58,000. As it stands now, she struggles with the repayments, so when interest rates go up..... Madness.

I think a limit on the number of properties you can own, CGT on additional properties etc would help NZ.

As for my return home, moving back around the East Midlands. Looking at some beautiful 4-5 detached houses for around the 225K GBP mark (already have a big enough deposit).
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by davros1984
The 50% is what needs to happen , however I know its not realistic. It would hurt too many people. Although part of me does wish these people would learn a lesson. Please note that after Bellasmum's shocking comments in another thread, it riled me up (hence an outburst). That was me letting off some steam. But you're right northern henry, it would amuse me.

A friend of ours (she's a nurse) was allowed to buy a house for $700,000 early last year as a first time buyer. She earns a salary of $58,000. As it stands now, she struggles with the repayments, so when interest rates go up..... Madness.

I think a limit on the number of properties you can own, CGT on additional properties etc would help NZ.

As for my return home, moving back around the East Midlands. Looking at some beautiful 4-5 detached houses for around the 225K GBP mark (already have a big enough deposit).
$700,000 on a $58,000 salary? Who on earth did she go with? You don't mind me asking, is it a joint mortgage or a single?

The most I could ever get (before the 20% came in) was $693,000 and my salary is higher than hers.

That's amazing, i'm surprised she was accepted. That's probably 3/4 of her salary gone on mortgage repayments?

I don't want to sound a patronising old idiot but did she not think as to whether or not she could afford this? Did they not give her an inidication of what her repayments would be? I'm shocked that she went through with this - hope it works out but that it is a huge risk she took on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.