Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:09 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Good question and I do not feel disrespected, I'm happy to answer that question

We had more than the 40% we put down and so the agreement actually ws (that I often forget about and should have added originally) that we put a lump sum in a fixed rate bond for 18 months.

We assured the mortgage lenders that we were looking for jobs and gave them a bunch of emails that proved we were in talks with employers and recruiters.

So both were conditions of the mortgage.

They also took into account savings we have back in the UK, other fingers we have in various investment pies and the fact we both had decent track records with our CV's, in that we'd both been working for the same employer in the UK for 9 and 10 years respectively, which meant they felt we wouldn't have a problem getting a job and more pertinently stay in work.

The fixed rate bond remains even though we've both now got jobs.

But still, it is crazy right?

No matter the conditions we were given a mortgage and were still unemployed when we physically moved in.

Having said that, it shows you can negotiate if you want something. Don't just take no for an answer - which we got from some people.

Thank you for being so honest. I do feel as if I was being nosy now
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time NZ buyers in AKL - worth getting in now or bubble about to burst?

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Thank you for being so honest. I do feel as if I was being nosy now
Not at all.

I would politey tell you to mind your own business if I didn't want to share. I have put actual figures down of course, that's kind of irrelevant.

But this is what this site is about; giving people the information to help them emigrate and settle whever they're going or thinking of going to.

People who are active on here now and others who aren't so much these days were and still are a mine of information for me personally, and that isn't easily found. Now I'm here and part of it, it's time to give some of that back.

The reason I'm happy to divulge this particular detail about my own life is to prove that something can be done if you present a decent enough case to the lender in question.

Of course every case is different, but banks are willing to be flexible if there is something in it for them.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 31st 2014 at 2:15 am.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

... and , of course, enough of the filthy lucre for the bank to indemnify on interest alone.

What that tells me is that you can negotiate if you have the collateral behind you to do so , which is the same the world over.

Of course TL you came with a returning Kiwi too. That does help whether or not anyone likes that fact.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Aside from population I have never got this comparison.
With the populations being almost equal in number I couldn't think of a more obvious candidate for comparisons.

There are many similarities and none more so than when the World was mired in financial crisis and talking about the PIGS (Portugal, Ireland and Greece). New Zealand was well up there wallowing beside them in terms of being a small economy with massive overseas debt and probably still is but everyone has shut up or forgotten about that.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
To give you an update and a bit more about our situation we are looking for a property between $300,000 and $400,000 and have a couple choices..
We are definitely leaving New Zealand in the next few months and will be selling our property. We've been keeping an even closer eye than usual on our local market (we've always kept tabs on houses and prices).

Unfortunately, I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible for you to find a house that is not a complete do-up for that price, even in South Auckland. There are a few selling at the moment under the 400,000 mark, but there're probably pretty awful, or in a really awful area. You never know, though, you might get lucky, but bear in mind the usual problems with houses in Auckland, which is lack of heating and insulation, with the attendant proliferation of mould and damp. It gets plenty cold (at least indoors) here, so you'll either need to make the house liveable, or go native and just learn to harden up. Anyway, if you do find a place, make sure it's not in Otara. That's the one neighborhood I suggest you avoid at all costs.

By the way, the house we're selling is not a first time home buyer's kind of house, otherwise, I'd say make me an offer!

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

ExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to allExpatLife is a name known to all

All the best to the folk in NZ re your property moves. I hope all works out whether you are buying or selling; coming or going. Think I won't respond on the Irish issue as runs the risk of hijacking this thread, but needless to say I think a bit more unpacking of the issue is relevant for NZ, as it is for Oz and other countries. As an Australian (overseas), I'd just be happy if we could get the Bledisloe Cup back from the All Blacks! All the best Kiwis.

Last edited by ExpatLife; Jan 31st 2014 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatLife
All the best to the folk in NZ re your property moves. I hope all works out whether you are buying or selling; coming or going. Think I won't respond on the Irish issue as runs the risk of hijacking this thread, but needless to say I think a bit more unpacking of the issue is relevant for NZ, as it is for Oz and other countries. As an Australian (overseas), I'd just be happy if we could get the Bledisloe Cup back from the All Blacks! All the best Kiwis.
Thanks' EL. I am sure the Wallabies will get their hands on the cup, but this Kiwi hopes it wont be anytime soon.

Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:42 am
`

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Thanks' EL. I am sure the Wallabies will get their hands on the cup, but this Kiwi hopes it wont be anytime soon.

Welcome back from your hols Bellasmum.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Welcome back from your hols Bellasmum.
Thanks Bev, we had a great time at the beach.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

**FURTHER UPDATE**

We saw 5 open homes today, all 3 bed. 4 were priced for negotiation, 1 for auction. Price wise was anywhere from $319K to $369K. Auction one is unknown just a vague $300 - $500K from the agent. lol.

We we're going to see 6 but just driving in to the area alone put us off that one but I don't think that's a bad hit rate.

All for negotiation were newly refurbed by developers ready to go with staged furniture. There is obviously money in buying cheap, quick refurb and selling on.

One was still in the process of being done over so it was an interesting jump over a locked fence after the agent, who we met at the previous property, said to go have a look.

The auction one is an unknown quantity. I will go along on Monday evening to see what happens but I think it will go for way over our budget. Adverts that say for auction annoy me as you dont know if it's a waste of time even going for a look if it will go for way beyond your budget.

The others we looked at today though were all good, just not quite ticking all the boxes we want. Although there were some big'ish sections the houses were 85 - 100sq M, dining areas or kitchens a bit smaller than we would like.

Interestingly they also all had new decks but only small ones, big enough to fit a small table and chairs. They all had the potential to be bigger though but I guess the developers put a small one it to say it's got it without having to spend to much. The first house we saw the agent said they could extend the deck if we purchased.

I'm working tomorrow but I've lined the missis up with another 3 viewings.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Madao, I'm quite surprised you found those prices, but good for you, maybe you'll find what you're looking for. Perhaps you are looking further from the airport and CBD than the suburbs I mentioned? A few months ago a two bedroom house on a busy street, with no garage and very small section, close to King's College in Otahuhu sold for $490,000. It was an older home, refurbished, but had no heating, and very minimal insulation and no double-glazing, not even the inferior aluminum kind without thermal break.

Today we also went to an auction, for a 3 bed, 1 bath home advertised as "pristine." It smelled and was not well refurbished, but the bidding went up to nearly $800,000 and did not meet reserve. It sat on a 1/4 acre, though, hence the high price. Probably it sold after negotiation for around that price.

I forgot to mention, the rougher areas of Manurewa are to be avoided too, in my opinion. They have a notorious reputation, are a bit scary even to me, a seasoned South Aucklander, and I don't imagine they'd be as good an investment as other areas, for that reason.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:25 am
`

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Thanks Bev, we had a great time at the beach.
It did look a bit good TBH
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I get so hacked off with the lack of real investigative journalism in this country - our PM is a business man who has made a lot of money in 'the property game', and under his watch the property market in NZ has exploded beyond the means of most NZers ... anyone else smell a rat?
Only if you live in certain areas, there are massive areas of the country that are still easily affordable,
the only reason prices are so high in certain areas is because stupid people are prepared to pay stupid prices.
The knock on effect now will be that the rest of us will have to endure at least 2 interest rate hikes this year
which are only going to be done as an effort to control the lunatics in auckland
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
With the populations being almost equal in number I couldn't think of a more obvious candidate for comparisons.

There are many similarities and none more so than when the World was mired in financial crisis and talking about the PIGS (Portugal, Ireland and Greece). New Zealand was well up there wallowing beside them in terms of being a small economy with massive overseas debt and probably still is but everyone has shut up or forgotten about that.
The vast majority of nations, big, medium sized or small have massive overseas debt, so I'm not sure what your point is?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
Only if you live in certain areas, there are massive areas of the country that are still easily affordable,
the only reason prices are so high in certain areas is because stupid people are prepared to pay stupid prices.
The knock on effect now will be that the rest of us will have to endure at least 2 interest rate hikes this year
which are only going to be done as an effort to control the lunatics in auckland
Never let the facts spoil a good tale aye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.