Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The first step to NZ

The first step to NZ

Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default The first step to NZ

Greetings all,

As I have promised on my earlier posts that I will “try� to post as much info as possible on our experiences of moving from South Africa to New Zealand.

One of our biggest goals in the initial process of the whole thing was to sell our house here in SA.

It’s done, we signed the offer earlier this week, so watch this space. I Intent to book my flights for the six-week LSD in the not-too distant future and hope to cover some issues including our experiences with airlines etc etc.

For us, we are EXCITED.

Warm regards to you all.

Campbell.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first step to NZ

Looking forward to your posts.

Gill and Rob
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:15 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Looking forward to your posts.

Gill and Rob
Thanks folks
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Wairarapa Girl will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: The first step to NZ

Originally Posted by Campbells
Greetings all,

As I have promised on my earlier posts that I will “try� to post as much info as possible on our experiences of moving from South Africa to New Zealand.

One of our biggest goals in the initial process of the whole thing was to sell our house here in SA.

It’s done, we signed the offer earlier this week, so watch this space. I Intent to book my flights for the six-week LSD in the not-too distant future and hope to cover some issues including our experiences with airlines etc etc.

For us, we are EXCITED.

Warm regards to you all.

Campbell.
Have read with great interest the thread NZ scary story.
I am from New Zealand currently living in Abu Dhabi (previously Manilla Phillipines and Seoul South Korea.)
Dont believe all you read there are disatisfied Poms here too!!! They come expecting a whole life changing experience only to get disapointed.
I dont mean this in a harsh way but everything does evolve around money You have to be prepared in any country to have a cash back up when you go.
For instance set up costs in the UAE keep you digging in your pocket.
We have South African friends in New Zealand and here and we discuss the emiration from SA to NZ quite often.Our SA friends here dream to save enough money and head to New Zealand where some of their family already are.
A couple we know from here are emigrating to NZ next week earns a lot more here but yearns to take his daughter to the river have some green wide open spaces so it is really solely up to your individual desires no one can tell you whats right for you.We still have our house in NZ and return for 2 months of the year and more if there are special occassions.What do you do for a job?
Be interested to read your progress any questions feel free to ask
Good Luck
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wairarapa Girl
Have read with great interest the thread NZ scary story.
I am from New Zealand currently living in Abu Dhabi (previously Manilla Philippines and Seoul South Korea.)
Don’t believe all you read there are dissatisfied Poms here too!!! They come expecting a whole life changing experience only to get disappointed.
I don’t mean this in a harsh way but everything does evolve around money You have to be prepared in any country to have cash back up when you go.
For instance set up costs in the UAE keep you digging in your pocket.
We have South African friends in New Zealand and here and we discuss the emigration from SA to NZ quite often. Our SA friends here dream to save enough money and head to New Zealand where some of their family already is.
A couple we know from here are emigrating to NZ next week earns a lot more here but yearns to take his daughter to the river have some green wide open spaces so it is really solely up to your individual desires no one can tell you what’s right for you. We still have our house in NZ and return for 2 months of the year and more if there are special occasions. What do you do for a job?
Be interested to read your progress any questions feel free to ask
Good Luck
Hi there Wairarapa Girl,

Thanks for that positive input which is MUCH needed.

My profession is It background which was specializing in Airline It with Atraxis AG (It arm of Swiss Air), we did the IT outsource for SAA here. I was a Key Accounts manager for four channels of business.

Retrenched in 2001 and started my own company doing audio productions which have developed into somewhat of a niche market as we specialize in educational material in African languages. The production skills we have developed can be used in translations for any language and I intend to pursue the business in NZ too as I see (just one example) that the NZ police have new policies to communicate with the various ethnic groups which is where our type of productions are extremely cost-effective. Opps, sound like an insurance sales-person.

That is further down the line as I have to get a job as getting in to NZ on a business visa is a long-winded process. We have some on-going contracts here that we are setting up a partner here to carry on with the admin side of things & we will carry on with the productions from new Zealand as I will take my studio equipment with me.

I have been in touch with several of the bigger production houses over thee (NZ) tat feed the bigger networks (Radio & TV) and had a positive reactions but OI guess my personality is I do not rest until it’s a done-deal so I need to look at all angles as we are very determined to get to NZ & stay. Might sound very strange as w have never been there but it is exactly the life-style that you mentioned that attracts us as we have a wee boy nearly two-years and we want him m to enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors.

Blah blah blah………………â� �¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€ ¦

Thank you for you offers of questions to be answered. I may just do that but I am hoping to be getting some first-hand new in your beautiful country some time soon in this month.

Tank you for your most valuable input & we really intent not to be winging Poms or for that matter when-we’s South Africans over thee. In fact we are going to go out of our way to plug-in to a network of New Zealand friends once we are there. When in Rome !

Thanks again & warm regards

Campbell.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:17 pm
Banned

A few more steps:

Well the house sale is confirmed, a done-deal !

THe flight ae a done-deal - booked (Singapore). I fly over to NZ & arrive 28th Feb for six weeks.

THe throttle has opened, modem burn-out. It's now time to surf & explore every & all possiblity for employment opportunities to ensure that I have a LOT of interviews booked up.

Hoping that that I wil be posting some BIG smilies soon

Keep you all posted.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

ocoste will become famous soon enough

A few more steps:

Well the house sale is confirmed, a done-deal !

THe flight ae a done-deal - booked (Singapore). I fly over to NZ & arrive 28th Feb for six weeks.

THe throttle has opened, modem burn-out. It's now time to surf & explore every & all possiblity for employment opportunities to ensure that I have a LOT of interviews booked up.

Hoping that that I wil be posting some BIG smilies soon

Keep you all posted.
From a fellow Scot. The very best of luck with your move to NZ. My wife and I are in the early stages of the process having just received our EOI pack. I'm also in IT so I will be following your contributions to the board with interest. Cheers.
Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:42 pm
Banned

Default Re: The next step to NZ

Greetings,

Time is flying and just a couple of days now until I get on the silver bird.

Things are hectic at the moment and mostly due to the administration of selling our house as well as the immigration jargon. Lots of paperwork! So if anyone is reading this that is considering immigration and your paper work is up to, make a decision to change that to start to getting your ducks in a row ASAP.

It has been interesting so far and can feed-back my experiences to-date of job hunting. I have had one telephonic interview which is quite strange if you have never experienced this (internationally) but after the first 30 seconds it was relaxed as I found my Kiwi lass on the other end of the line very easy to communicate with which made the whole thing a very positive experience.

I did say that I would open the throttle once I had booked my air tickets and did. The first weekend I applied for some 33 jobs on-line and was pleasantly surprised to receive 21 replies by the Monday evening. Not all were positive (& I didn’t expect this as the world is not waiting for me!) BUT the tone was that of respect and appreciation to my response and this makes the whole thing more human.

I now have three interviews lined-up in NZ which I think is a fair achievement as I do get the feeling that one is not taken too seriously until you are actually there in NZ, and understandably so.

The general tone of the communications is most professional with an undertone of casualness which suits me. I could never get around the whole Mr. X thing in the UK and found it somewhat Jurassic in outlook.

I must say that I am VERY glad that I did some research in terms of the salary thing in NZ and feel reasonably prepared to negotiate and not undersell myself because I am an immigrant. I also get the impression that international commercial experience is received as a big plus and is part of the learning curve of how to play your cards and one must play that ace.

In my experience one has to remain positive and focus on the three positive outcomes rather than the other “Dear Johns�, obviously this is generic to the globe. I also get the feeling that there is a diverse range of opportunities that can be applied for and will be considered for if the Kiwis feel you could make the grade and I get the impression that this is due to the lack of skilled workers over there at present. For example; I applied to the NZ Gov for one particular position which is interesting that I received an email to say they have viewed my CV and are considering my application due to the fact that I do not have a work permit for NZ, YET !

So no great news so far but I am happy with progress. I have the work permit forms which can be posted to drop-off boxes in several immigration offices (in Auckland) and it is said that all being well you will get your permit in five (working) days which I think is brilliant. I am really hoping to get a position that will let me come back over here to SA to do the final preps for the shipping as well as my wee lads 2nd birthday but if not, so be it.

One last thing. It does pay to do your shopping (please don’t mistake this for the shopping mentioned in the “Scary Story� thread) if you are booking B & B's. A good consideration is a self-contained unit if you are coming over for a LSD and if it doesn’t have a phone you can get one installed in a couple of days if needed.

If you have happened to read “scary Story� thread I will be posting my experience of the NZ meat. The images I’ve downloaded to-date of NZ included several sheep shots and with me being Scottish I thought the meat looked rather fresh myself!

Just in-case you didn’t know: No it wasn’t the Kiwis that invented the kilt, it was the Scots and for the simple reason that “the sheep canna hear the zip cummin doon�

I’ll awae to ma beed.

Cheers

Campbell.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:38 pm
Banned

Default Re: The flight step to NZ

Me again,

I did say I would cover Airlines:

Booked with Singapore Air & got a good deal including 10 kg extra baggage allowance.

Must say that the Johannesburg (Rosebank) office sucks (no online booking covered for SA ??), one of those, press 1, press 2, music, blah blah blah you are important to us, press 8 things. Give me a human please!Anyway, me being who I am (Scots) took it up with their MD and managed to at least get them to call me back.

Flying via Singapore has some nice features such as rooms that can be booked in the Singapore airport. If you don’t dig that you get a free city tour & shower back at the airport.

I’m opting for the shopping for toys (new notebook) and booked a six hours of room at airport as my stop-over is a long one, 12 hours. I haven’t flown SQ but have heard that they are tops so let’s see.

So there it is. Lets hope that I don’t have to start “Scary Story II�.

Cheers to y’all.

Hey, any shopping tips from the born-to-shoppers from scary story 1 care to give some tips for shopping in Singapore? Should I order the Lamb or the monkey?

You know you are old when you keep misplacing your sense of humor!

Campbell.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 2:00 am
Just Joined

HI Campbells,
We travelled singapore for the years we were in Sth Korea and the Phillipines always so fantastic especially with children.
Consequently my daughter and I have been in transit at Singapore over 25 times and never left the terminal!!!There is a lovely pool on top of terminal 1 veryeasy to get to.We used to for short stop overs of around 5 hours pay to use the pool and they provided towels etc and you could have a lovely shower hairdryer for the wife etc.Bar and food area next to pool and outdorrs nice!!!
There are two transit hotels one in terminal 1 and of course terminal two.
Shoppings great especially for you toys!!!!My favorite place for shopping you can even take part in a game show!!!
If you are going to the Wairarapa to look around let me know we have a fully furnished house in the country !!!!
I dont want to hear the start of a scary story mate!!!!
My friends have just left here Abu Dhabi immigrated to NZ currently enjoying the friendiness and hospitality and love the pace of life.
Well must rush time to do mother help at school
Kia Ora
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Me again,

I did say I would cover Airlines:

Booked with Singapore Air & got a good deal including 10 kg extra baggage allowance.

Must say that the Johannesburg (Rosebank) office sucks (no online booking covered for SA ??), one of those, press 1, press 2, music, blah blah blah you are important to us, press 8 things. Give me a human please!Anyway, me being who I am (Scots) took it up with their MD and managed to at least get them to call me back.

Flying via Singapore has some nice features such as rooms that can be booked in the Singapore airport. If you don’t dig that you get a free city tour & shower back at the airport.

I’m opting for the shopping for toys (new notebook) and booked a six hours of room at airport as my stop-over is a long one, 12 hours. I haven’t flown SQ but have heard that they are tops so let’s see.

So there it is. Lets hope that I don’t have to start “Scary Story II�.

Cheers to y’all.

Hey, any shopping tips from the born-to-shoppers from scary story 1 care to give some tips for shopping in Singapore? Should I order the Lamb or the monkey?

You know you are old when you keep misplacing your sense of humor!

Campbell.
Good luck on your trip. singapore is great for a stopover, and the time booked in the hotel is a smart move. Congrats on the interviews, hope it goes well. It may pay to have some references lined up, at my interviews they asked me to provide some (its ok not to volunteer the references, wait to be asked, but it pays to be prepared and expect to be asked)

As a very crude generalisation, nz ers do place a very high value on "The Team" (see their apsolute commitment to the All Blacks and even the Cricket Team even if they keep getting their backsides kicked by the Aussies). I know you have to sell yourself at an interview, absolutely do so, but its good to place emphasis on how youd integrate in the team. Try not to come across as belittling their knowledge by creating the impression you know better because youvce worked overseas. Make sure you pitch your extra expertise at the level of how this will make you perform better in a NZ context. Like a said, this is just my impression, very anecdotaly, feel free to ignore any or all of what i have said. Of course, you may be interviewed byu other expats, in which case this whole discussion becomes moot.

If youre irritated by the electronic voice on the phone thing, i have bad news for you in NZ. Everything here works like that, setting up your telephone, connecting to an electricity porvider, ordering a pizza, everything. youre sometimes on the phone for 5 mins pressing buttons before you get to talk to a person.

If youre lucky you may even get a job offer that will pay for your relocation costs.

cheers and good luck

from a south african who lived in dublin and then moved to auckland and now lives in wellington
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Good luck on your trip.

from a south african who lived in dublin and then moved to auckland and now lives in wellington
Lekker boet,

I'll keep posting and if you fancy a beer PM me your contacts as I do intend to see most of NZ while there.

You get castle there? You know that th Irish ae only Scots that can swim !

Cheers mate

Campbell.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Having just come back from a month in New Zealand, we also flew with Singapore Airlines from the UK. They are reputed to be the best and I would agree. They are such polite friendly people, you get served and looked after with food and drinks all trip long and nothing is too much trouble. The air hostesses are stunning too with a unique uniform. (My husband couldn't take his eyes off them ) As for shopping, we did the overnight stay for the break and loved the shopping. You can get absolutely anything there from Designer Clothes Stores to Sony Camera's and Digital technology. It is such a clean country (chewing gum is banned) and a place to feel very safe on your own.

Good luck with the interviews. I've also had a promising lead from a Pharmaceuitcal Company who wishes to telephone interview me asap. May be out there when you guys arrive too. All the possible movers should keep in touch....
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Ah new kiwi my hometown wellington sigh!!!!No better place on a beautiful clear day!!!!and no wind or earthquakes of course.Good advice for the campbells re the interviews although my experience is sometimes we kiwis think "expat must be good."
Although we can be just like any other nation when the team does not do very well and do a bit of team bashing,
Well must catch a camel and have a beer.
Cheers mate!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally
May be out there when you guys arrive too. All the possible movers should keep in touch....
Hey 100%,

We are very social and realise the need for friends over there, keep in touch.
We are hoping to avoid doing the "plug-in to ex-South Africans" thing as we want to embrace NZ and its culture blah blah blah................

I also believe that networking in terms of the job-hunt & future (possible job move) of is a big thing so it can be word-of-mouth. We are not shy to meet new folks and actually enjoy it. Our wee nipper is nearly two so we think that getting him into a pre-school kinda thing over there will introduce us to parents of his buddies from school.

Kinda weird if you think about that ! Your kid is going to be the catalyst for your future friends. :scared:

We are not really pub folk, we like to get outdoors as we really feel imprisoned here. We often talk about getting bicycles over there and catching a train to where-ever for the day and just enjoying life.

These are just some of the “positive� things that we (missus & me) exchange when we kinda step back & think, wow this is a huge task. We look at the fun things that we will be able to do in NZ and we most definitely hope to meet new friends that we can share special times with too.

Cheers the noo………………†¦.

Campbell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.