British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   First step on the ladder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/first-step-ladder-663987/)

martyc Apr 14th 2010 11:51 am

First step on the ladder

Hi

I am a UK citizen with a Kiwi husband of 16 years. We lived in New Zealand for 3 years just after we got married but have lived here in Somerset ever since with our 11 year old son. My son has mild aspergers but gets along very well in mainstream school.

Have pestered my husband to return and have finally worn him down although he can definately see the benefits for us.

Looking forward to seeking and hopefully giving some advice.

Dewb09 Apr 16th 2010 9:24 pm

Re: First step on the ladder

Originally Posted by martyc (Post 8495286)
Hi

I am a UK citizen with a Kiwi husband of 16 years. We lived in New Zealand for 3 years just after we got married but have lived here in Somerset ever since with our 11 year old son. My son has mild aspergers but gets along very well in mainstream school.

Have pestered my husband to return and have finally worn him down although he can definately see the benefits for us.

Looking forward to seeking and hopefully giving some advice.

HI & Welcome to the site :thumbsup:

When do you hope to be going to NZ?

Dewb

martyc Apr 16th 2010 10:07 pm

Thankyou for your reply. I think the aspergers bit may have put some people off replying. I really hope not. We want to aim to get there in time for the start of the new school year in January. So once (if) we make a definate decision it will be all systems go.

MnB Apr 16th 2010 10:13 pm

Welcome & good luck with your plans. Like yourself & Dewb I'm also married to a Kiwi, we're currently in NZ but will be back in Somerset in June.

Best wishes
B x

Am Loolah Apr 16th 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8502021)
Welcome & good luck with your plans. Like yourself & Dewb I'm also married to a Kiwi, we're currently in NZ but will be back in Somerset in June.

Best wishes
B x

And I'm another one married to a Kiwi - gosh they get around!:lol: It certainly made the move more straight forward, but you will still need medicals etc. Make sure you get your child their Citizenship by Descent first and then they'll just travel in on a Kiwi passport.:thumbsup:

BEVS Apr 17th 2010 6:27 am

Originally Posted by martyc (Post 8502015)
Thankyou for your reply. I think the aspergers bit may have put some people off replying. I really hope not. We want to aim to get there in time for the start of the new school year in January. So once (if) we make a definate decision it will be all systems go.

It's Easter hols here :eek: so I expect it is more that people are busy doing stuff right at the moment TBH

Welcome to our cosy little NZ forum and have a right good post around the place.

Look forward to seeing you around the place.

martyc Apr 17th 2010 6:34 am

Thank you,

My main problem will be finding my way around the keyboard and understanding the terminology. At the moment it is like another language.:unsure:

Dewb09 Apr 17th 2010 8:28 am

Originally Posted by martyc (Post 8502526)
Thank you,

My main problem will be finding my way around the keyboard and understanding the terminology. At the moment it is like another language.:unsure:

:rofl::rofl: should have seen me at first! still not an expert but have improved no end. Once I cracked the *avatar (still no idea how I did it) felt I had arrived in tech land!

Good luck with all your plans :fingerscrossed: have some karma!

Dewb
* Avatar, small picture under name (I did not have a clue what one was)

MattandJax Apr 17th 2010 9:50 am

hi and welcome to the site. it doesn't seem that long ago when we posted "our first rung of the ladder" post! time is flying by and we have clawed our way up a few more rungs!

good luck with your plans

M&J