British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   First Post - Where in Auckland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/first-post-where-auckland-867245/)

Venezuelan007 Oct 29th 2015 8:47 am

First Post - Where in Auckland?

Hello everyone,

I'm not British, I'm from Venezuela, and till now I've been a frequent visitor in the ME forum, since I moved here almost 2 years ago. It turned out to be the best source of information I found

A recent opportunity have me thinking of NZ as the next move... soon, I actually got an employment offer. So I decided to start looking this forum, and it has been a lot helpful as expected, kudos!

...So... I'm trying to set up my budget, and for that I will have to define as best as I can, RENT $...

Company offices are in East Tamaki, so all this time Ive been considering west auckland... flat bush, buckland beach, botany, and especially Howick village,which I found very nice.

But that is me being short-sighted. I was wondering if I could get some insights from people actually living there. My budget started at 500$/w top, but seems like I will have to be more flexible on that. We are a couple, no kids, and looking for a 2br since all 1br Ive seen appear to be smaller than a matchbox.

Any other zone. area, community you would recommend for the house/apartment search? considering I don't like traffic... I really REALLY don't.

Other I will need to consider is, if my wife gets a job downtown... then all the places Ive been looking might be far from it and commute would be long for her... and we don't want that either (happy wife, happy life... or so they say). How is traffic from CBD to East tamaki? logic says it should be good.

ANY opinion is well appreciated.

Cheers!

jmh Oct 29th 2015 9:01 pm

Re: First Post - Where in Auckland?

First of all, the areas you list are East Auckland, not West. I think you are looking in the right areas for your own work. Your wife would have to use public transport (bus or train) to get to the CBD. I personally would try to find somewhere that is accessible to the train. Look up the Eastern train line.

Accept the fact that you may find yourself living in a less than ideal place the first year. Once you settle in you can take the time to find a house/flat that suits your needs when you know the area better.

In your situation I would probably go for a well-built smaller house or apartment in a nicer area.

Venezuelan007 Oct 29th 2015 9:51 pm

Lol EAST! Of course!...

Cant believe I embarrased myself like that haha, thx

Actually we prefer apartment, perhaps a townhouse, a house... maybe later

Of the ones I mentioned, which area is would you prefer?

Catchafire Oct 29th 2015 10:39 pm

Botany/Howick would be the best bet, from the areas you have listed (relatively new housing stock, better socio economic environment).

desmondo84 Nov 1st 2015 1:03 am

Traffic probably would be okay coming out of town. You could live somewhere halfway I guess. Lived in Dannemora for a while. Bit soulless but safe and was a good place to start. Depends what you are into - quiet, relaxed or want to be around the hussle and bussle?