British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   first morning of bad weeping windows (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/first-morning-bad-weeping-windows-797152/)

MrsFychan May 15th 2013 9:05 pm

first morning of bad weeping windows

in our deluxe shed, which we call home.
now put heating on or just open the windows, after a wipe down and let the sun
do it job?

jmh May 15th 2013 9:20 pm

Re: first morning of bad weeping windows

Probably depends a bit on how big your windows are and how busy your mornings. My stepmother wipes them down every morning. I have floor to ceiling windows in all my rooms so this would take all day, so I pull the curtains away from the damp parts (over a chair) and open the windows slightly. Wooden frames probably need to be wiped down - aluminium won't suffer so much.

ellenarosemary May 15th 2013 9:40 pm

Our 'lovely' rental is super wet, the windows have been running for weeks, doesnt matter if you wipe them down or open the window, or put on the crappy gas heating they still run.

Mark Smith May 15th 2013 10:14 pm

Try looking of trademe for a Scoopy, we have one for the bathroom. Its a glass scraper that collects the condensation. Not a cure but they work pretty well.

Snap Shot May 15th 2013 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 10709857)
Try looking of trademe for a Scoopy, we have one for the bathroom. Its a glass scraper that collects the condensation. Not a cure but they work pretty well.

http://www.scoopy.co.nz/images/header1.jpg

Charismatic May 15th 2013 10:41 pm

Run a dehumidifier? A decent one only costs as much to run as a couple of lightbulbs and my house is like the desert.

MrsFychan May 15th 2013 11:58 pm

thanks guys.
have metal framed windows
new heat pump in our bedroom has dehumdifier on it so that solves that room.
kids bedrooms - we have a portable air con unit that hubby had in his office in the UK. which he thinks has the option so could move from one room to another.
Living room has floor to ceiling windows but they were ok this morning but I suppose when they start I can use the portable air con unit in there as well.

The scoopy thing does seem to be the scrapper you have for the shower and know they are quite good

Catchafire May 16th 2013 5:52 am

HRV system. Condensation sorted. Will also make your house easier to heat (allegedly).

Catchafire May 16th 2013 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10709820)
Our 'lovely' rental is super wet, the windows have been running for weeks, doesnt matter if you wipe them down or open the window, or put on the crappy gas heating they still run.

LPG gas as a large amount of water vapour in it, so a gas fire will actually increase the humidity.

MrsFychan May 16th 2013 6:35 am

hubby just showed me all the heat pumps have dehumidifier setting so think we might be ok

bourbon-biscuit May 16th 2013 7:09 am

Even with heat pumps with de-humidifier settings you still might want to do a morning sweep with a rubber blade (got ours from $ shop) and a towel- especially in the kid's bedrooms and if it's your own house. I found the condensation more depressing than the cold in winter. We used that film over the kid's bedroom windows that you buy from DIY stores- fiddly to apply but cut condensation to minimal, though not sure how well it would work on aluminum windows. Every 'wet' morning I did a quick round the house with blade and towel and because I was usually home I could leave some windows a little ajar and move the dehumidifier round the bedrooms to make sure they were dried out properly. Had we had the cash I'd have gone for some form of HRV system for the condensation problems alone.

Bo-Jangles May 16th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10709950)
new heat pump in our bedroom has dehumdifier on it so that solves that room.

Personally I have abandoned using the 'dry' feature on the heat pump. I tried only once using the 'dry' feature on ours when we had a wet carpet and it had no effect and did not run nearly as warm.

We have windows in place of external walls in most of our house and no way could I be doing with wiping the things every day and nor can I leave windows open during weekdays. I run a dehumidifier in one back room at night and that tends to keep the rest of the house relatively condensation free.

We do get a little bit around the frames and near to the bottom but it's a balancing act and too much use of the dehumidifier makes me feel quite unwell. i.e. dehydrated and hungover. :eek:

MrsFychan May 16th 2013 7:51 am

oohhh well I shall see how it goes. the film sounds like a good idea so might also look into that

jmh May 16th 2013 9:00 am

My mum recommends a dehumidifier too - she hangs up wet washing inside if it's wet out, and doesn't get condensation if the humidifier is on.

Mark Smith May 16th 2013 9:12 am

Our last flat in Chch was total damp city. We ran our dehumidifier 24/7 as well as having moisture traps in the wardrobes and using scoopy. The house we bought is an old girl but she's been tricked out with a HRV and a woodburner and its pretty damn dry, no need to break out the dehumidifier. I don't know what the HRV would cost to buy but it doesn't seem to add anything to the elec bills.