Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

first morning of bad weeping windows

first morning of bad weeping windows

Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice
Default Re: first morning of bad weeping windows

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
The trouble is that heating and ventilating often don't reach the parts most needed, such as in in your wardrobes and cupboards. Once you have the mould spores they will multiply; suggest you put some white vinegar in a spray bottle with a few drop of tea tree oil and spray and wipe everywhere that you have had the problems. Some of the Dettol aerosol disinfectant spays and Oust 3 in 1 air fresheners claim to kill mould spores too.

On sunny days strip your bed off and give the mattress a turn and a good airing.

I have these things in my wardrobes: http://www.damprid.com/ you can get them in Bunnings or Mitre 10 and try also to leave the wardrobe doors ajar to get some air in there. You only have to buy the Damprid, Hippo container things once and then you can buy the granules to refill them.

Still I have to be constanly vigilant, as I recently found a bag of old momentos, photos and such like that was tucked away in the spare room and had to chuck a coat that had got the bot.
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we have the damprid in every wardrobe and the crystals disappear within 3 weeks. It's a flued gas fire not LPG so I think that's ok.

We have been cleaning as thoroughly as poss but it seems each time it's a diff wardrobe, diff draw etc. also use white vinegar and exit mould on our bed frame and within two weeks it was back!

I will have a look at the air fresheners and wash down everywhere as suggested....

It so stressful...and seems to literally be taking over our lives!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey
It so stressful...and seems to literally be taking over our lives!
You have my sympathies, I know it can be a constant battle but does sort of become second nature after a while as you suss out how to keep thngs in balance.

If you can afford to run another dehumidifier it would be worthwhile as they do help with adding some ambient heat as well. I would advise you to invest in the best that you can afford, with max capacity in terms of litres per day that it can process and maximum tank capacity to save the endless emptying out routine of the smaller ones.

I guess you will have learned lots of this already but you just have to do all you can to get the moisture out, if you're drying washing indoors you should put the dehumidifier in that room the most. Put the extractor fans on whilst you shower or bathe and for a good while after you've finished in the bathroom; I do at least until the mist has disappered from the mirrors.

Cover all your pots when cooking and put the rangehood extractor on whenever you're cooking.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Didn't think our rental was damp, no dripping windows, no damp patches or mould. It had been empty for at least a month before we got it. However we have been lent a dehumidifier and it is collecting about a pint a day set at high
Old Jul 7th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

We bought a Karcher window washer gadget from Bunnings - it is BRILLIANT for crying windows. removes the water and cleans the windows in a few seconds. We also use a dehumidifier plus regularly open the windows to let fresh air circulate.

This is the link to the Karcher thingameejig

http://www.karcher.co.nz/nz/Products...ow_cleaner.htm