Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

Been in Chc 1 week now, it has been a fairly stressful few days.
We booked accommodation from the UK. Met at the Airport by the owners of the house , kind of them.
We paid upfront 3.5k$. Big surprise house number 1 no washing machine no bath ( I would not have got in it )and was like a 1950s prefab.Also I think their idea of cleanliness was vastly different to mine.
After 2 days moved to another house which I would not let my dog sleep in.( lasted 30 mins) The smell of damp hangs in your nostrils for a long time.
So moved to a Motel and finaly a clean townhouse (expensive).
Moral of this story never rent a house unseen as nice as people are standards differ greatly if you are used to any form of comfort and cleanliness Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Decent housing is expensive .
Harcourts the Estate Agents have been helpful albiet expensive ( if anyone gets stuck)
Otherwise Chc good.
Watch out for Hillbillies with smiles. Remember Deliverance.
Good Luck to you all.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:54 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

Did you get your money back?

Apart from that - welcome to NZ My mother rented a house for me once and I cried when I walked into it and that was only returning from the UK to Ireland. No point crying over spilt milk and lesson learned and all that but I hope that's the first and last thing that will go wrong for you. Good luck in your new life.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:45 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Ain't that the truth!

Welcome to New Zealand, things can only get better after that.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid upfront 3.5k$. Why?Big surprise house number 1 no washing machine no bath as per nearly all Kiwi houses - the bath part, not the washing machine( I would not have got in it )and was like a 1950s prefab as per many NZ houses.Also I think their idea of cleanliness was vastly different to minethis was the number one complaint of all the language students I taught there - of which there were about 2000 over a three year period.
After 2 days moved to another house which I would not let my dog sleep in.( lasted 30 mins) The smell of damp hangs in your nostrils for a long time.
Moral of this story never rent a house unseen as nice as people are standards differ greatly if you are used to any form of comfort and cleanliness Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Harcourts the Estate Agents have been helpful albiet expensive ( if anyone gets stuck)
Otherwise Chc good.
Good Luck to you all.
I will admit to having had a couple of drinks tonight so my reply may sound a little off, sorry about that. That is not to say what I write is not true or my honest opinion but without the drinks I may put it slightly differently. Ask me again tomorrow.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:38 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Chc 1 week now, it has been a fairly stressful few days.
We booked accommodation from the UK. Met at the Airport by the owners of the house , kind of them.
We paid upfront 3.5k$. Big surprise house number 1 no washing machine no bath ( I would not have got in it )and was like a 1950s prefab.Also I think their idea of cleanliness was vastly different to mine.
Otherwise Chc good.
Good Luck to you all.
I have never lived in nor seen a house in NZ without a bathroom. Amazing!

There are a few 1950s and 1960s ex state housing properties that may still have no shower built in. Most people buy a shower attachment or have a plumber install a permanent shower that works while you stand up in the bathtub.

I'm pretty confident that all houses built since the 70s have separate shower facilites and many before then that were built privately.

Sounds like you were 'seen coming'. I have a motto: If a property or area is cheap, there's a reason for it. Always go for the best you can comfortably afford.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I have never lived in nor seen a house in NZ without a bathroom. Amazing!

There are a few 1950s and 1960s ex state housing properties that may still have no shower built in. Most people buy a shower attachment or have a plumber install a permanent shower that works while you stand up in the bathtub.

I'm pretty confident that all houses built since the 70s have separate shower facilites and many before then that were built privately.

Sounds like you were 'seen coming'. I have a motto: If a property or area is cheap, there's a reason for it. Always go for the best you can comfortably afford.
Bath - not bathROOM
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Bath - not bathROOM
My understanding is that it is illegal to offer for rent a dwelling that is unsuitable for human habitation; eg no bath or cooker. washing machines and refrigerators are not supplied in unfurnished homes to let.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

I have a motto: If a property or area is cheap, there's a reason for it.
That's funny, I have a motto as well:

A day without sunshine is like, night.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Impressions/Expectations ripped off

Sounds like you were 'seen coming'.
Naughty!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

I did think that Charteris Bay was a peculiar place to choose for your first stop, even if it is very beautiful. I take it you are in town now?
I remember someone posting a few months ago about *buying* a house sight unseen in NZ while still living in the UK. I really would like to know the end of that story...
I hope that things are now coming right for you, the first few days are difficult, there is so much to get your head around, and so many decisions to make,but as you get a few things sorted it should get easier.
Make sure you take one day in the next seven days as a day off. Do some touristy things, give your self a break from all the hard work.

Maybe contact Wiz and Ton, as they have only just arrived too?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:10 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
That's funny, I have a motto as well:

A day without sunshine is like, night.
LOL That why you and Mrs NG left Uk then?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:11 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Naughty!!!!!!!!!
Now Now...you're a bad lad you are
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:15 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Apple12
I did think that Charteris Bay was a peculiar place to choose for your first stop, even if it is very beautiful. I take it you are in town now?
I remember someone posting a few months ago about *buying* a house sight unseen in NZ while still living in the UK. I really would like to know the end of that story...
I hope that things are now coming right for you, the first few days are difficult, there is so much to get your head around, and so many decisions to make,but as you get a few things sorted it should get easier.
Make sure you take one day in the next seven days as a day off. Do some touristy things, give your self a break from all the hard work.

Maybe contact Wiz and Ton, as they have only just arrived too?
Charteris Bay??? Geez I seem to recall that place as a 'weekend retreat, getaway' type place. Still, should not have ever been let without a bath in it. They expect you to nip to the bay for a swim whenever anyone in the home got a bit 'whiffy'
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:18 pm
Jedi Princess

Charteris Bay??? Geez I seem to recall that place as a 'weekend retreat, getaway' type place. Still, should not have ever been let without a bath in it. They expect you to nip to the bay for a swim whenever anyone in the home got a bit 'whiffy'
Or at least a shower unit. A lot of flats/units in OZ only have shower units in them, no baths. And many baths over here a 5yr old couldn't stretch out in
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Decent housing is expensive
Sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope that anyone else reading this will heed your lesson. Whilst you feel as if you have been ripped off, in actual fact you have not, but have had to pay an awful price to learn that paying out money for a longterm stay in unseen accomodation is a pretty unwise thing to do.

People should never be forking out vast sums of money up front for unseen accomodation, even motels are worth a quick inspection before handing over money for even one nights accomodation. Standards vary so widely and all but the most expensive places, can be unsavoury dumps. You might get lucky and find a nice cheap one, however it is just not worth the risk without prior recommendation. We can all laugh at a nightmare night we have spent staying in some 70s archival museum piece of a motel and that's fine for one night, it's no laughing matter if that accomodation is your first impressions as a new immgrant to NZ and you have shelled out money in advance to stay there long term.

It is very easy to find reviews on the internet of people real life experience in hotels and motels to make sure you are making a well informed decision. Houses are a different kettle of fish, minimum standards require some form of cooking, washing and heating facilities. Lots of NZ houses only have showers, so if a bath is important to you you need to make sure it is specified.

Intrigued as to why you moved into a second house that you wouldn't let your dog sleep in. Why ever did you not check it out after your first experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.