Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First car in NZ but where to go in it?

First car in NZ but where to go in it?

Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Cool First car in NZ but where to go in it?

Hi All

I had planned to save a bit of cash and buy a van to convert in to a camper as this seems the quickest and cheapest way to get out and see as much of the country as possible during the weekends off work.

After a year in Wellington though, with only a nifty fifty scooter as transport to get around locally since we arrived, I decided it was getting too claustrophobic surrounded by the hills and couldn't wait any longer to buy a car and go explore.

So, we pick up the new beast tomorrow. Some may say its an early mid life crises but we went for a 2 seater convertible from a dealer in Petone. . Nothing flash, 1996 MGF, but its in good nick with low Km's.

We live on Courtenay Place and have only got as far as Lower Hutt on the scooter so can anyone recommend some places to head to that are good driving day trips away from Wellington? I'm guessing Wairarapa or Kapiti but give me some specifics of places to head too. Iv heard Ocean Beach is worth a visit but all suggestions welcome!

for some good weather this weekend

Ta
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First car in NZ but where to go in it?

Go over the mountain to Greytown for lunch....or if you want a shorter first trip, drive to Makkara Beach via Karori and walk along the beach path, then have fish and chips and a coffee in the scruffy cafe there.

If you search I am sure there is an old thread on day trips. It is a bit limited but is much more doable if you can stay away overnight. Even Castlepoint Lighthouse in Wairapa would be hard to do in just a day...it needs an overnight in Masterton.

Palmy North is good for shops but only got there once myself in 5 years.

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 12th 2012 at 11:13 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:38 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Jump on ferry! Time to hit the South Island, visit the wineries in Marlborough, head down the Kaikoura coast to Christchurch, then Arthurs Pass to the West Coast and back to Picton. If you are in a rush the trip can be done in a weekend, but its better to take some time.

Your jaw will be constantly on the floor, on how beautiful this place is.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself off up the desert road and go so tongariro and ruapehu
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:40 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

As it's an MG, I'd join the AA!!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are starting to realise how difficult it is to escape from Wellington. There is a whole heap of nothing within 3 hours. You may be okay for a few weekends yet, but before long youll realise that there aint that many places you really want to go to.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Do my head in.

People are surely worth being able to explore the area they are in without this ?

When they moan there is nothing there at all around them after several years then I am with you.Until then , I suggest a trip to the South Island.

Heavens !
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
That's 4 hours from Wellington, Taupo is 5, Rotorua 6 - all favourite places, visited many times over 5 years. I'll search for the old thread it had much nearer places of interest.

How funny - it was me who started it probably because I needed ideas lol : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ips+wellington

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 13th 2012 at 4:42 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

In desperation other nearby places I have considered to be 'days out' are Petone (cute Settlers Museum), The New Dowse Museum and Cafe in Lower Hutt, the Miramar Peninsula (park and walk near prison and/or the ??? Monument to n NZ PM), various viewing points in Wellington which you can drive to - the one in Botanic Gardens, Brooklyn Windmill - you can walk down to Red Rocks(Island Bay) from there as well, Mount Kaukau in Khandallah and so on. Drive and walk can be done in Wellington itself eg Zealandia in Karori. Oh and how could I forget....Eastbourne....and if really desperate to show visitors a wild NZ beach...Wainuiomata Beach...you can walk for miles see seals but alas no cafes lol. Went there on Xmas Day one year..sad I know.

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 13th 2012 at 4:53 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:56 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the price of the ferry (with car) from North to South island?

Probably better off flying to Christchurch and hiring a car!!!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
We spent last ski season living in National Park for 6 months working for Whakapapa ski area so know the mountain well. Would be great to go back in the summer though.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Have you seen the price of the ferry (with car) from North to South island?

Probably better off flying to Christchurch and hiring a car!!!
Yep, Shocked at the price. Looked at ferry prices thinking we could do that and drive to CHC for the Kiwi Beer Festival in February. I think it was about $450 for the ferry but flights were about $130 each.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sirplug
As it's an MG, I'd join the AA!!
Haha, Done! Got the insurance from them too, way cheaper than State, Tower etc.

My parents had a proper MG BGT but this one looks very similar to my old Rover inside so breakdown cover was an easy sale for the AA man.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Some great suggestions in all your posts, thank you. That's our next few weekends sorted!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:08 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
Yep, Shocked at the price. Looked at ferry prices thinking we could do that and drive to CHC for the Kiwi Beer Festival in February. I think it was about $450 for the ferry but flights were about $130 each.
It's a shame really. The south island is so stunning! I was in NZ last year staying on the south island and wanted to see a bit of the north but ruled it out because of the ferry cost.

More to the point there's a Kiwi beer fest in Chch in Feb?! I'm planning on returning in April to work, but may push it forward!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.