Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

First big row with family re: Leaving!!

First big row with family re: Leaving!!

Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:18 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First big row with family re: Leaving!!

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Took dogs out for a lovely relaxing walk in the cold but sun today! Got thinking about yesterday's phonecall from mother. She's booked a trip/tour to NZ for November - we haven't booked our flights yet!! Told me, it's all booked, including leaving Auckland for 4 days in HK then back to Auckland as was part of the trip?!

Plus was then staying for 2-3 months - we can organise her somewhere to stay - stressed she wouldn't stay with us that long - just round the corner?!

And this would cover Christmas!

Hubby got bit miffed last nite and said he'd given up on caring about mad mother - which I knew wasn't true. But I got to thinking whilst walking dogs, that I don't want her with us for our first Christmas and she just hadn't asked, had just gone ahead and booked. Felt steam rollered into something I didn't want.

So stood up for myself and phoned mother on return from said dog walking.

2-3 months is too long. I don't want the responsibility of making sure she's got an itinery to keep her amused whilst the kids are at school and we're working. I don't want the responsibility of finding her somewhere to stay. I want our first Christmas to be just us.

... She very upset.

Spoke to Hubby, he said he'll organise getting her out there, and tours, and she should come for Christmas, and I need to go lie down!!!

Phoned her back and apologised, the Christmas thing was just silly and selfish (not to mention 11 months away!!) and consequently she's happier with cancelling the booking and handing the reins over to me and Hubby! Phew!!

Anyone else having a hard time from rellies about their impending emigration or just me?!
Hello Fairy

Hope you are feeling better today and had a bottle of bolly last night

Karma coming your way

G xx
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Hello Fairy

Hope you are feeling better today and had a bottle of bolly last night

Karma coming your way

G xx
Thank you all for your karma and kind words. Hubby has loads of brochures arriving any day now so that'll keep him quiet!

We found lots of info in the February Sunday Times Travel magazine (not in the paper - I'm more a News of the World/Heat reader!! ) With the glossies in the shops. Anyway, they have a feature on New Zealand and some articles and lots of brochure lines for tours, hols etc, etc.

Am much calmer today thank you all!

XXX
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Families...

Who needs them.. My mum and the other halfs parents have both been cool... (I've no idea where my dad is.. haven't heard from him for 15 years!!)

But apparently my sister told my mum that I am not going!! (in the sense that she won't let me!!)

She's in for a shock when I tell her this weekend my PR has come through!!

Life's for living... Every man for themselves (and women!)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dash1965
Families...

Who needs them.. My mum and the other halfs parents have both been cool... (I've no idea where my dad is.. haven't heard from him for 15 years!!)

But apparently my sister told my mum that I am not going!! (in the sense that she won't let me!!)

She's in for a shock when I tell her this weekend my PR has come through!!

Life's for living... Every man for themselves (and women!)
Re: The negativity thread, don't know how to post the link, but this may help The McGowans - see you're normal!!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice

Thanks Am Loolah. Had a tearful meeting with mother today, she's more open to discussionnow, but still not happy. I think we'll keep it low key for a while. Could understand your thoughts on having your first Christmas to yourselves. I think that every year, but somehow it always ends up with a houseful.