Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Firewood which is best and when?

Firewood which is best and when?

Old May 4th 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice
Default Firewood which is best and when?

Hi There

Help is needed

We have a large room to heat with only one wood burner stove in the corner.
Our local wood supplier has the following wood available.

Pine
Macrocarpa
gum
wattle
ti tree

I know to use pine to light the fire but I need to know which wood to use for the following

Maximum Heat output.
( to heat room quickly )

Good Heat output but slow burning
( to maintain the temperature whilst in the room )

Long burning
( So the fire will still be lit in the morning and keep the chill off the room )

Many Thanks in advance

Mark
Old May 4th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firewood which is best and when?

I only know that gum spits so it should not be used in an open fire, as it will spit all over the place. Hopefully some one else will come along with more info.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:04 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Macrocarpa is good for your quick warm up, and we keep ours damped overnight with gum.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Best to get a split load of Pine and something like Gum or Macrocarpa... use the split pine to help get the fire up to temp then throw on the harder woods as they burn slower...

A split load shouldn't cost more than $350-400 at the most for 4 cubic metres...
Old May 4th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I got 6 m of pine and beech mix for 400 bux it works well, one tip i will give u is dont bother with kindling and pine cones just bung 2 big lumps of pine in and a firelighter at the bottom and it,s going in 2 mins

$3.50 for a box of 20 there cheaper than pine cones

Neil
Old May 4th 2010, 10:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Pine or fir to get the fire going and then gum for that slow hot burn.

Make sure that the wood you get is dry not green. In other words it's seasoned .
Old May 5th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I am burning oregon wood this year. Last time we had a log burner we did the macrocarpa and gum combination, but the fire has to stay hot to keep the gum burning. However, it could be that we had a crap burner just like this time.

We are in a rental in Dunedin this winter. So this is our fourth winter and second in a rental. Someone else is enjoying our home we built in Rangiora. I hope they are enjoying it. I on the other hand have indoor kite flying.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:44 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ

We are in a rental in Dunedin this winter. So this is our fourth winter and second in a rental. Someone else is enjoying our home we built in Rangiora. I hope they are enjoying it. I on the other hand have indoor kite flying.
How about a heat pump?

Depending on the house you could fit one,use it this winter,pump it down and take it back with you when you move.

All you would need to do is check with the landlord if they mind a 65mm hole in the wall/floor that you could patch up when you leave or find a way from inside to out that didnt need a hole cut?

Or offer to pay half for it with the landlord and leave it there when you go.

half would be about $1100/1500 for a good model less if you want a landlord special and I reckon that will be what you spend on wood over a season here anyway?

just an idea as a cold house in dunedin is a crappy place to be!

george
Old May 6th 2010, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
I on the other hand have indoor kite flying.
Oh my.