British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   finish GCSE or move?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/finish-gcse-move-692464/)

4pommes Nov 6th 2010 11:08 am

finish GCSE or move??

Hi,

any advice would be most welcome!

We could move permanently to NZ one October or following September.....so should I move my son ready for year 11 in NZ or wait and finish his year 11 and GCSE's here??? :confused:

Advice or experience anyone??

thanks!!
Lydia

simonsi Nov 6th 2010 6:51 pm

Re: finish GCSE or move??

Moving mid-course like that I would always advise against, even between schools let alone between countries and education/examination systems.

Sorry but from my point of view thats a non-starter, complete his GCSEs then move.

Foxesecho Nov 6th 2010 9:18 pm

I would have to agree with simonsi. The exams here are not given a, b, c pass grades as in the uk. The children have to gain credits of achieved, merit and excellence and gain some of these during yr 10 an 11, as well as credits in their final yr11 exams, which start next week. I think they need 200 and odd to gain entry to uni.

I feel the stress of trying to settle into a new life, make friends and learn a new education system may be a little much.

RobDon Nov 6th 2010 11:07 pm

We moved over after my daughter finished her GCSE`s and gained excellent grades, A* - B. :thumbsup:
They counted for diddley squat in her new school :thumbdown: as her school do not follow the Cambridge Exam System.
Schools that do use the Cambridge exam system do acknowledge GCSE`s, schools that dont, dont. :confused: Hope this makes sense!

Liz & Co Nov 7th 2010 2:10 am

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8965195)
Hi,

any advice would be most welcome!

We could move permanently to NZ one October or following September.....so should I move my son ready for year 11 in NZ or wait and finish his year 11 and GCSE's here??? :confused:

Advice or experience anyone??

thanks!!
Lydia

This was once a concern of mine!

We stayed behind in the UK for our daughter to complete her GCSE's - which she did with fantastic grades! We enrolled her at school here, into Year 12, to begin what we believed to be the equivalent of 'A' Levels. Within a few weeks she was extremely board, as she had already studied the curriculum they were teaching. After discussions, it was agreed with the school that they would move her up to, Year 13 and they guaranteed she would be able to gain enough Credits to enter University. Unfortunately after a month she was still being taught what she already knew! She became very disheartened and the decision was made for her to leave school. We enrolled her on a Stotts Correspondence Course in Business Management, which she has very nearly completed. Showing her GCSE results in her CV, have proved very favourable to NZ Employers.

Our son left the UK after completing the equivalent of NZ Year 8. In the October he was enrolled into Year 9 (due to his birthday being in February) and after the first day the school suggested moving him up to Year 10 for the last term as he had already covered the curriculum they were teaching. This meant he only had 9 weeks to decide what his subjects were to be for Year 13. Although he actually missed a year of education, if his case it was the best thing we ever did. He thrived under the pressure and in Year 13 was appointed one of the Head Boys. He takes his final exam in his First Year at Canterbury University tomorrow, studying Engineering.

Our second son started school here in Year 8 and was again moved up to Year 9. For him, schooling here was a disaster and he left school half way through Year 12. He is currently enrolled at the Polytechnic College.

Our youngest was enrolled into Year 6 and is currently in Year 10 and will certainly stay at school through to Year 13.

I would think very carefully if the school suggest moving younger children up a year, although educationally it may be beneficial, for their social skills, we have not found this it to be a good idea. It really is very dependant on the child, making the right decision is sometimes, never right!

Charismatic Nov 7th 2010 4:48 am

Depends on what he wants to do next.
- If he wants to go to university or polytechnic and is mature enough then getting required NZQA level 3 ratings to get in is pretty easy so he could just do his year 11 here.
- If he is still uncertain and needs some time then finishing his GCSEs is a better idea.

He will probably find himself ahead of his year in sciences and technology so could be at some advantage.

keyholekate Nov 13th 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Liz & Co (Post 8966337)
This was once a concern of mine!

We stayed behind in the UK for our daughter to complete her GCSE's - which she did with fantastic grades! We enrolled her at school here, into Year 12, to begin what we believed to be the equivalent of 'A' Levels. Within a few weeks she was extremely board, as she had already studied the curriculum they were teaching. After discussions, it was agreed with the school that they would move her up to, Year 13 and they guaranteed she would be able to gain enough Credits to enter University. Unfortunately after a month she was still being taught what she already knew! She became very disheartened and the decision was made for her to leave school. We enrolled her on a Stotts Correspondence Course in Business Management, which she has very nearly completed. Showing her GCSE results in her CV, have proved very favourable to NZ Employers.

Our son left the UK after completing the equivalent of NZ Year 8. In the October he was enrolled into Year 9 (due to his birthday being in February) and after the first day the school suggested moving him up to Year 10 for the last term as he had already covered the curriculum they were teaching. This meant he only had 9 weeks to decide what his subjects were to be for Year 13. Although he actually missed a year of education, if his case it was the best thing we ever did. He thrived under the pressure and in Year 13 was appointed one of the Head Boys. He takes his final exam in his First Year at Canterbury University tomorrow, studying Engineering.

Our second son started school here in Year 8 and was again moved up to Year 9. For him, schooling here was a disaster and he left school half way through Year 12. He is currently enrolled at the Polytechnic College.

Our youngest was enrolled into Year 6 and is currently in Year 10 and will certainly stay at school through to Year 13.

I would think very carefully if the school suggest moving younger children up a year, although educationally it may be beneficial, for their social skills, we have not found this it to be a good idea. It really is very dependant on the child, making the right decision is sometimes, never right!

My son also had fabulous GCSE grades but was put back into the lower year. He then proceeded to fail NCEA 1 (mock only) maths. He was recommended for A level in England, and struggles here. My daughter was highlighted as gifted in ten subjects in the UK. She was also put back half a year. It's quite easy for her, and she has not really been challenged, especially in French language. But she has done a Geography NCEA level one early and that has been quite challenging.

BEVS Nov 13th 2010 5:51 am

Originally Posted by keyholekate (Post 8978809)
My son also had fabulous GCSE grades but was put back into the lower year. He then proceeded to fail NCEA 1 (mock only) maths. He was recommended for A level in England, and struggles here. My daughter was highlighted as gifted in ten subjects in the UK. She was also put back half a year. It's quite easy for her, and she has not really been challenged, especially in French language. But she has done a Geography NCEA level one early and that has been quite challenging.

You kidding me? :thumbdown:

It's what it does to the kids that does my head in