British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Finding Work in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/finding-work-nz-828580/)

SteffanJohnAus Mar 15th 2014 12:11 pm

Finding Work in NZ

Out of interest, what advice would you guys give to a young graduate who is looking for work in NZ?

Anything you guys would suggest rather than the usual stuff -
Doing NZ Training, study of NZ methods, volunteering with prospective employers and applying for heaps of jobs...

Chur.

Persephone Mar 15th 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Finding Work in NZ

I got all my jobs (well, all 3) by sending my CV off to all prospective employers in the area. None of them were actually advertising at the time. I did only have a fairly small number of possibles which did make it easy for me though:D

SteffanJohnAus Mar 15th 2014 7:49 pm

I like your forwardness!
What were the reactions of the employers?

Persephone Mar 15th 2014 7:56 pm

Absolutely fine with it! My job is on the LTSSL and is quite a small profession so it would be seen as perfectly acceptable and normal to do that. Most of them need locums at times so there's always that as an option even if they cannot give me permanent work.
They'd also not get many CVs either as there aren't that many of us;)

Pom_Chch Mar 16th 2014 12:06 am

I would Kiwi up your CV and send out speculative applications with a strong cover letter. That is what I did and, although I didn't get offered a job whilst in the UK, it put me in a good position for future work when I arrived in NZ. I kept pestering one place in particular and now I work there :D

Also, I have found potential employers to be helpful here in suggesting other places that could make use of your skill set. At the bottom of my letter I put "should there be no positions available or my job role is not suited to your clinic I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction of where I could find my line of work." I would say 99% of the people who replied gave me a suggestion of where to contact, which is partly how I ended up getting this job I have now.

Any company that replies with "sorry, no vacancies" I would make a note of them and try again in say three months. With some companies I asked them if my skills and qualifications would fit in with what they would look for. That gave me an idea of who I should chase up and who I shouldn't.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

Moomoo Mar 16th 2014 12:33 am

I think volunteering is a great way to go if you are out here, even it it's not what you do for work. It's a great way to meet people, make contacts and put something current on your CV.