Reload this Page >

Finding out about New Zealand

Finding out about New Zealand

Old May 10th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Butterfly07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Finding out about New Zealand

Hi there! Im new to the forum nice to meet you all

My family and I have been dreaming about moving away from the UK for sometime now and a postion has come up for my partner in New Zealand that he is very interested in.

However we know very little about NZ! Can anyone help?

The area the job is in is Auckland- what is it like there- what is the weather like? Is it very green? Is is safe? Is it quiet?
Are primary schools generally good (oh and what age do children start school their)

Are people friendly?

Also is there many churches in NZ?
Sorry for the million questions!
Thank you for all your help
Old May 10th 2010, 3:04 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding out about New Zealand

Just wanted to say hi & welcome to the forum

Sorry cant help too much, I am still in UK. Have been to NZ lots of times really beautiful place but much more to it.

There are plenty from the Auckland area that will be able to help with your questions once they wake up . Until they do though there is a search button at the top which is a great help when looking for specific topics.

This site is great for finding out lots of information and what it is like to live in NZ good & bad!

Happy posting

Dewb
Old May 10th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

also google and wiki are a good start..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland

we also bought a book called "Living and working in New Zealand" which is a great read for expats/migrants

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Working.../dp/1901130290
Old May 10th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will look into getting that book!

The mains reasons we would like to move is for better weather (not always boiling hot and we do like seasons- but just a bigger dollop of sunshine all year around), lots more greenery, less traffic, more space, less crowding and to be able to afford a house bigger than a shoe box that doesnt exceed 500K!

We have no desire to be near any bars or clubs. We just want a more simple, peaceful, laid back life!

It seems like New Zealand could offer this from what I read- but is this the reality?
Old May 10th 2010, 6:52 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butterfly07
The area the job is in is Auckland- what is it like there- what is the weather like? Is it very green? Is is safe? Is it quiet?
Are primary schools generally good (oh and what age do children start school their)

Are people friendly?
Google maps and streetview can be your friend here.
Old May 10th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Agreed...to a certain extent....

Do supermarkets do home delivery in NZ? I hate supermarket shopping lol! Does weight watchers food exsist out there?... (yes not THE most important questions but still, very important!)
Old May 10th 2010, 7:49 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there! Im new to the forum nice to meet you all

My family and I have been dreaming about moving away from the UK for sometime now and a postion has come up for my partner in New Zealand that he is very interested in.

However we know very little about NZ! Can anyone help?

Are people friendly?

Also is there many churches in NZ?
Sorry for the million questions!
Thank you for all your help
Hi and welcome to the site.

Where in Auckland is the job? Auckland has the largest population of anywhere in New Zealand and is somewhere on a scale of Manchester in size, with just over a million people.

There are quite a few churches around. New Zealand seems to be a religious place

There is already a thread running here for you to view questions on Auckland.

Anything else, just search the forum. Whatever questions you have, the rest of us have asked at some stage. Have you gone down the EOI / ITA route, yet?

Good luck, this is a great place to live, if you are leaving the UK for the right reasons and do your homework properly!

The schools are great (at least where I live), people talk to you (including the kids!), there is less crime (again, where I live) the climate is far better to what I was used to and so are the views......but the cost of living is slightly higher than the UK, luxury items are expensive and the standard of driving is cr@p!

To me, altogether it's all worth it!
Old May 10th 2010, 7:51 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Do supermarkets do home delivery in NZ? I hate supermarket shopping lol! Does weight watchers food exsist out there?... (yes not THE most important questions but still, very important!)
Yes, there are supermarket home deliveries (only just!) but supermarkets aren't crowded like the UK!

Can't help you with Weight Watchers as I don't bother watching mine!
Old May 10th 2010, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all the replies!

I believe the office is based in Newmarket. As for EOI / ITA route I’m not even sure what that is, so I will hazard a “no”! Really, we only found out about this job on Wednesday so we right at the infancy of our search.
Regarding crime- I just was reading on another forum the NZ crime is worst in the world- its all very confusing!

Some things I can’t find answers too are careers- does anyone know how much loss adjusters earn in New Zealand by any chance?

Also for myself I have just started a online boutique selling mainly interior accessories, which I love doing and would want to contine. Is there much of a market in New Zealand for interior accessories (online or off?).

Also why do I keep reading the quality of houses are so poor- we had a look on an estate agent website for houses in Auckland and they look fabulous, a million items better than anything we can afford UK?
Again Im a bit confused!
Old May 10th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes weight watchers food exists here. Not sure how big the range is though sorry.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Ohh thats good... do supermarkets do 'healthy ranges' out there (i.e lower calorie crossiants- If they dont then that would be a huge drawback..!
Old May 10th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh thats good... do supermarkets do 'healthy ranges' out there (i.e lower calorie crossiants- If they dont then that would be a huge drawback..!
Healthy ranges are available but the range available depends on where you shop.
As Auckland is way bigger than Rotorua I would think there will be much more choice up there for you.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help

Does anyone have any insight to if their is a market for interior accessories in New Zealand? I cant imagine there wouldn't really as no matter where you are people want beautiful homes?
Old May 10th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your help

Does anyone have any insight to if their is a market for interior accessories in New Zealand? I cant imagine there wouldn't really as no matter where you are people want beautiful homes?
I want Next home items available!!
Old May 10th 2010, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

They do the best lights!

Maybe if there is little choice for nice home things in NZ is could be an ideal opportunity for me... a gap in the market...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.