Reload this Page >

Finding a job in retail

Finding a job in retail

Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job in retail

Hello there,
Hubby and I arrived one month ago, living in Auckland.
I had a job offer before coming, but hubby is finding it a real challenge finding something in the retail sector.
He's literally applying for everything he sees, seek, trademe, dropping in CVs etc and has had an interview with a recruitment agency. He went for an interview last week which seemed to go well, but has now been told that someone from another branch is applying and will no doubt get it.

I'm at a loss as to how to help or support him. I feel like everything's great for me, but miserable for him, he's getting really down. After several years of being unemployed in the UK, it seems it happening all over again in NZ.

I'm not expecting solutions, I guess I'm just venting, but any suggestions would be most welcome. It has been suggested his surname may be an issue...he's Irish, but has a Chinese surname... Short of changing his name, I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:55 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in retail

Good luck. My husband and I, both office workers, couldn't get an offer of work in Auckland in Feb 2011. We went the usual route i.e. employment agencies, internet etc. No luck. My husband got as far as being interviewed by employment agencies but nothing ever came of it.

I thought in a big city like Auckland there was work for those who were willing. In our case, obviously not. BTW my husband is a returning kiwi.

We went to Christchurch three weeks after arriving in Auckland. After a protracted saga in Christchurch we ended up where we are now as my husband got a job offer.

Me ? I'm still looking for work, but I've had a couple of temporary jobs. The second one was a vacancy on Trade Me. A permanent job offer has yet to materialise for me, from any source.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 26th 2013 at 9:11 am.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A month is not such a long time in the grand scheme of job hunting and it has taken others (including myself) a lot longer to find that all important first role. You just have to take some concrete pills, keep taking the knocks and keep on trying.

Sadly I do believe the surname could be an added hurdle and you'll find Asians usually do try to anglicise or totally rename themselves to overcome this issue. But if his CV demonstrates European education etc I doubt that this should present you guys with such a problem.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:29 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest that when he gets knocked back he contacts them and politely asks for feedback on how he can improve next time. Might be interesting to see what comes up. The fact that he had protracted problems in the UK too is a bit of a flag for me.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

A month is not a long time, it took me much longer to get my first role, that was when the economy was at its worst in recent years though.

Is temping for a bit an option? It could help overcome that 'lack of New Zealand experience' that can be a major hurdle for people when they arrive.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Can I suggest that when he gets knocked back he contacts them and politely asks for feedback on how he can improve next time. Might be interesting to see what comes up. The fact that he had protracted problems in the UK too is a bit of a flag for me.
Thank you, but so far he hasn't got to that stage. He's applied for lots of jobs, but has never had an acknowledgement let alone an interview.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
A month is not such a long time in the grand scheme of job hunting and it has taken others (including myself) a lot longer to find that all important first role. You just have to take some concrete pills, keep taking the knocks and keep on trying.

Sadly I do believe the surname could be an added hurdle and you'll find Asians usually do try to anglicise or totally rename themselves to overcome this issue. But if his CV demonstrates European education etc I doubt that this should present you guys with such a problem.

Thank you, that helps. I think part of the issue is that he did set himself an unrealistic goal in terms of how it would take to find something. It's just hard to keep motivated sometimes.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope something comes up soon for your husband. It's interesting, if that's the right word in the circumstances, to read how difficult some people have found getting employment here.
When we arrived my wife took a part time job as a receptionist at the YMCA. She is a trained primary teacher so was a bit overqualified. Over time, when our youngest went to school, her role increased to full time.
Then we left NZ for a couple of years. Coming back the YMCA offered her a job starting a few days after returning. She still does some work there but moved on to a child care centre earlier this year.
Sounds a bit insensitive of me to bang on like this but the reason I mention it is three-fold. Firstly I do believe that if you can get your foot in the door, part-time, at a lower level than you are used to then that is a way in. Secondly, someone put a word in for her at the child-care centre and I think many of us that have been here a while would agree that the old adage about it not being what you know but who you know holds true. Finally, I think that having a history of working here also makes a huge difference down the track.
I'm not sure whether it is easier or more difficult outside of the big city. We've both been incredibly lucky - I came back on a temporary contract to my old school, someone left, now I'm permanent again - and I do hope you will be too, there will be a way in eventually.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:25 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree with the fact that it's who you know. I got a casual job at my kids school as someone my husband had met wanted some leave to work on the hobbit film and knew I had worked in schools in the UK. I took on his hours (not teaching, after school care) for 5wks initially but then because filming went over he asked for more time off. The board refused and basically I was offered his role as he was going to resign and he took the casual role. then at the end of the year the main supervisor resigned and I was offered that role and now I run the whole thing.

I think you may need to get yourselves out and about within the community and get your faces and names known, chat to people and let it be known that your husband is looking for work and don't say no to anything. (unless it really is taking the pee).
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If he's been out of work for a long time, how is he explaining away the gap in his CV?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Has he looked on jobseeker? They've currently got 47 positions in retail being advertised in Auckland: http://www.jobseeker.co.nz/Retail-Sa...land,-Auckland

We're not in Auckland but my neighbour was talking about sometimes working as a labourer using 0800 worker? I'm not sure of the exact name of the company he was talking about but there seem to be a few on google. He was getting called in the morning to work on building sites. He does have a building/carpenter background but his implication was that it was last minute unskilled work. It may be worth investigating?

NZ is all about contacts so walking the streets and talking to anyone/everyone in cafes in shopping malls etc. may be the best way.
If not then the volunteer agencies may lead to something.

Good luck, I hope he finds something soon. Remember he must tailor his CV and covering letter for each position so do your research.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Well, isn't it funny how things happen? It was a pretty low point last night, but then today the recruitment agency arranged an interview for him at 3.30pm and an hour later offered him a job!

Only temporary for three months, but it's a foot in the door.

Thanks for listening and all the great advice!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one ! Well done.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

excellent news. Onwards and Upwards
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by clairesw
Well, isn't it funny how things happen? It was a pretty low point last night, but then today the recruitment agency arranged an interview for him at 3.30pm and an hour later offered him a job!

Only temporary for three months, but it's a foot in the door.

Thanks for listening and all the great advice!
You know, I am just so happy this has happened for your OH having just read this thread.

I really do hope this will be a good thing for both of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.