Finding a job...

Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job...

Hi all,

So my partner will be coming over straight into a job. The agency that got him the job have been quite reassuring that when we do make the move I will find a job 'no problem'...however I don't believe this at all.

We will either be living in Auckland or Wellington (not sure yet)..I only work in retail management, and I have seen tonnes of jobs in this sector online in the bigger cities, so at a glance it would seem easy enough. I would even take a full time minimum wage job, just something to give me my own income to support myself without relying on my partners salary. Reading other peoples threads though this doesn't seem like such a walk in the park?

If this is the case, why is it so difficult? What are the challenges?
I'm scared to make the leap after reading some of people's stories, they are worrying me. Are there recruitment agencies that have helped anyone? I would do anything!! (within reason)
Old Jul 11th 2018, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job...

I don't know, and have never known anyone in nz who does not have a job. I have a friend who was a manager at IKEA in the UK and she has never had a problem finding work and has changed jobs a few timed when she's felt like a change. It doesn't seem to be a problem
Old Jul 11th 2018, 9:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

It really does just depend, I've worked since I've got here, first job was just covering for someone we got to know that job ended up with me managing it, second job I trained as an estate agent, didn't last long as not a good environment for me and 3rx job think I really only got because I bothered to chase them up after not hearing a few days after they said they would let people know. But then I know some who have been here years and not got a job in their field and still taken them years to get a job in the local shop. Best option would be to sign up to agencies temping or fullmti,e as soon as you are able to work and go from there, sorry but nothing is guaranteed
Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie8383
So my partner will be coming over straight into a job. The agency that got him the job have been quite reassuring that when we do make the move I will find a job 'no problem'eve this at all.
Ha, ha. The Agency want to receive their fee from the employer so they are keen to stop you from throwing a spanner-in-the-works.

The New Zealand economy is tiny. One minute there can be lots of jobs and nobody looking then the employers are desperate. Next minute there are no jobs and lots of people looking so the employees are desperate.

Right now in the country, it is the employers that are desperate. So I expect that you would be able to pick something up - providing you do some networking so are not a complete stranger.

Your other post showed a willingness to be flexible about precisely what sort of work you ended up doing and that attitude would serve you well in this country. In my experience the newcomers that struggle are the ones that focus on trying to continue to be highly skilled in their precise field and not trying other stuff if plan A does not work out (that was the situation I was in 9 years ago - but I didn't adapt to doing something different and only started to work in my field once I was the last person they could find prepared to take on a really bad situation).