FINDING AN EX PAT

Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Stevepope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FINDING AN EX PAT

Would anyone have any info on how I would go about finding someone that emigrated to New Zealand from the uk in the 70’s? Trying to find someone for my dad, tried all the usual social media but to no avail.....
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FINDING AN EX PAT

Name, address, and Google works for most people - in practice the more common the name, the more specific the address you need. A Smith or a Jones is going to be a struggle if you don't have the actual street on which they live. With a specific name that isn't too common you might get lucky and find there are very few, or only one, in NZ.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Guys name is Colin Jones lol, don’t think I’m gonna have any chance, that’s literally the only info I have.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there couldn't be much worse a name to try to track down - LinkedIn for NZ shows 16 of them, and unfortunately after 40 years there also has to a significant risk that he is no longer around.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

was he married? do you know any other family members name. also I would look for members of the family in the UK who could give you some info
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
was he married? do you know any other family members name. also I would look for members of the family in the UK who could give you some info
Sounds like a case of a single young man who left the UK and headed to NZ 40+ years ago and his friend (Steve Pope's dad) never heard from him again.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone considered that Mr Jones may have left for a reason and does not wish to be found before helping with this.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Has anyone considered that Mr Jones may have left for a reason and does not wish to be found before helping with this.
True enough. If someone does not wish to be found then usually they do not respond to any enquiries.

In this case I sorta feel it was a chance to emigrate is all. There was a push back then for us young folk to leave for Oz or NZ . Both countries wanted and needed people. There was assisted immigration up until the mid 70's.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:19 pm
`

Originally Posted by Stevepope
Guys name is Colin Jones lol, don’t think I’m gonna have any chance, that’s literally the only info I have.
Actually, you have a little more. At least your Dad will have.

Age.
Where in the UK he originated from.
When he emigrated approx.
His trade/work/profession.

If you can illicit a few more details I will effect some searches for you.

contact me on [email protected]
Old Mar 7th 2019, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Would anyone have any info on how I would go about finding someone that emigrated to New Zealand from the uk in the 70’s? Trying to find someone for my dad, tried all the usual social media but to no avail.....

There is a colin jones in new plymouth!
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds like a case of a single young man who left the UK and headed to NZ 40+ years ago and his friend (Steve Pope's dad) never heard from him again.
lol, he emigrated with his partner, I’ll try and find out some more info, he sent a post card on his arrival to my father said hello and best wishes to family, them that was it? ... he was my dads best friend
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:22 pm
`

lol, he emigrated with his partner, I’ll try and find out some more info, he sent a post card on his arrival to my father said hello and best wishes to family, them that was it? ... he was my dads best friend
I have sent you a BE email.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

To all that have replied many thanks, I will try to find out some more info about Colin, I was trying to find him without my fathers knowledge as a suprise, but that may not be possible now lol.

i ll be in touch to those who have offered help 👍🏻
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:30 pm
`

To all that have replied many thanks, I will try to find out some more info about Colin, I was trying to find him without my fathers knowledge as a suprise, but that may not be possible now lol.

i ll be in touch to those who have offered help 👍🏻
It may still be possible.
If you know he was your Dad's best friend, then you may know if they are the same age. If they were school friends or friends through work.
you will also know where your Dad was living when his friend emigrated. If they were living close to each other etc.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 11:37 pm

That reminds me of a pen-friend my mother had as a teenager. The pen-friend was a Dutch girl, and they corresponded for several years and both visited each other in their home country. Then university same and they lost touch. Many years later, like around 40 years later, my mother asked a neighbour who was Dutch, who she should get in touch with to track down her long-lost pen-friend. He recommended someone at the town hall, the bergermeister or similar, IIRC. So my mother wrote, and a few weeks later got a reply - the pen-friend had been killed in a car crash at age 21!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.