Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finding Employment in NZ

Finding Employment in NZ

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Finding Employment in NZ

Slight rant here.

I have been in NZ for almost 7 weeks now and have been looking for work left, right and center. I have applied for loads of jobs ranging from those in my field down to shelf stacking and the like at Pak' n Save, and am in contact with employment agencies and the like.

I have only been invited to one inverview (First week) and that didn't go anywhere. I have been on the Auckland Chamber of Commerce New Kiwi's course for new migrants and have a New Zealand Style CV and write my cover letters and apply as they said I should, but still no joy.

Now I must stress that I do realize that I will not exactly get a job overnight here!

The sticking point that I always come across is my lack of NZ work experience. The people always write back to say 'You have great work experience and we love it, but no NZ work experience so sorry, no job.'

How the heck am I meant to get NZ work experience without first getting a job in NZ??? It defies logic really.

Slight rant over.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:00 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Employment in NZ

I can completely sympathise with you.

I was lucky enough to get a job before coming over (healthcare professional), but my OH had a hard time getting work.

He was applying for anything within his field (finance related) and for the junior posts he got told he had too much experience, and for the more senior posts he got told he didn't have relevant NZ experience! Super frustrating!

He did get a good job eventually but it took him nearly 3 months. Keep persevering, you'll get there.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

It took me 6 months to get something decent keep pluging away

Neil
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It's all very well to tell folks to keep plugging away but they don't have an unllimited amount of money and with the horrid exchange rate have already lost money before they even began. This rubbish about lack of NZ experience is simply a way of maintaining a closed shop. I wonder how the Kiwis would feel if they experienced similar responses in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
It's all very well to tell folks to keep plugging away but they don't have an unllimited amount of money and with the horrid exchange rate have already lost money before they even began. This rubbish about lack of NZ experience is simply a way of maintaining a closed shop. I wonder how the Kiwis would feel if they experienced similar responses in the UK.
ridiculous, aren't they?

Small/isolated country, small minds.

racially divided, intolerant and brutal.

fed up that is.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 24th 2010 at 5:18 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but only Gizmo knows when enough is enough. I'm still looking after 6m. Luckily I've managed to get enough temp work for now but really want the security of a fulltime job.
Giz I don't know what you do but have you sent out CVs to all potential employers whether advertising or not? That has worked for me; in fact the recent interview I had came about through the place possessing my CV and was not an advertised position as far as I could see. Also the temp work I've been getting has all been through direct contact and not via agencies or adverts. Worked on the N Island for a year and got that job the same way!
Worth a try anyway
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

This rubbish about lack of NZ experience is simply a way of maintaining a closed shop. I wonder how the Kiwis would feel if they experienced similar responses in the UK.
I have worked in the UK and it is very rare to here anything back from an employer when you are unsuccessful in a job application, usually they won't even have the time to write a letter or send an e-mail. Regarding NZ experience, this could just be the employer trying to be polite when telling you they found someone else, ie "please f*** off". I wouldn't read to much into the reason.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Imagine a kiwi migrant being told you havent got enough UK experience They would laugh all the way to the where theres a blame theres a claim solicitor screaming racisim
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

I've been rejected for many jobs in my lifetime both in NZ and in the UK. One thing in common with NZ job rejections is I always got a PFO (Please F*** Off) letter in the post following the interview. In the UK I never heard anything. The PFO could be anything from the high quality of applicants to (in the case of immigrants) not having NZ experience.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:02 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

It's called empathy and encouragment whitesand. Personally, I'm hoping that Gizmo does get a job soon, I'm going to be in the same situation in a couple of months and I'd like Gizmo to be saying something like, "C'mon WP keep plugging away, it took me 10 weeks, but I got there in the end!! "

I'd rather not get posts from you saying, "I told you it was crap, you might as well cut your (substantial) losses and go home quickly before you're utterly doomed". EVEN IF IT'S TRUE!

The exchange rate fluctuations don't make you 'lose' money, unless you're moving money backwards and forwards over time between countries.

In some jobs having local experience is actually relevant.

My guess is that 'kiwis' would be just as pissed off as anyone else by bullshit excuses, after all they're not a different species.

So Gizmo - it took my Dad 6 months and one hundred and ten applications to get a job - but he got there in the end! So keep plugging away! Oh, and my partner got offered a job in her first telephone interview, so either all Kiwis aren't anti-brit or they just haven't realised that she's a foreigner yet!!

I'm curious about the NZ style CV. When I asked some time ago I was told that they were pretty much the same as UK ones. What's different?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Writing on Neil's behalf (while he is at work at 7am on a Sunday) in his short keep plugging away statement hides loads of really miserable long, dark days, wanting to go back to the UK (without me?) hating it in NZ, feeling unwanted, and it was only my job that was keeping us here as we burnt our bridges well and truly to come here. So we do understand.....

Jan x
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
I'm curious about the NZ style CV. When I asked some time ago I was told that they were pretty much the same as UK ones. What's different?
Layout - 3 pages max! and data contained really. The UK CV is very formal, the NZ one is more informal. You need to include intrests and hobbies on it, along with soft skills. (Something which I never include on a UK CV) as the NZ employer wants to see the "Whole" person, not just the working person.

I strongly recommend going on the Auckland (or whereever) Chamber of Commerce New Kiwi's course as they tell you how to write a NZ CV, NZ cover letter and what to expect in an NZ interview.

Very useful stuff I thought.

I don't have my notes handy, but PM me if you are intrested and I will send you the layout of a NZ CV when I find them.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:38 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who found it equally difficult to find a job. Every job applied resulted in a 'no, thanks' reply. She was then offered the following advice.

Write a CV and cover letter and send it to every company that is in 'your field' of work, listed in the Phone Book / Yellow Pages, whether they are advertising or not. Most jobs that are out there, aren't advertised, they're word of mouth. Within 2 weeks she was employed.

Good luck on your search, I hope you find something soon.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Slight rant here.

I have been in NZ for almost 7 weeks now and have been looking for work left, right and center. I have applied for loads of jobs ranging from those in my field down to shelf stacking and the like at Pak' n Save, and am in contact with employment agencies and the like.

I have only been invited to one inverview (First week) and that didn't go anywhere. I have been on the Auckland Chamber of Commerce New Kiwi's course for new migrants and have a New Zealand Style CV and write my cover letters and apply as they said I should, but still no joy.

Now I must stress that I do realize that I will not exactly get a job overnight here!

The sticking point that I always come across is my lack of NZ work experience. The people always write back to say 'You have great work experience and we love it, but no NZ work experience so sorry, no job.'

How the heck am I meant to get NZ work experience without first getting a job in NZ??? It defies logic really.

Slight rant over.
It is difficult with an average of 150 applicants for every job - but word of mouth seems to be the way forward.

OH took a minimum wage job which hit us hard and the last year has been tough, but he's being actively sought out now by people in his field. I think you have to earn your stripes here all over again and at some point in the next 12 months there will be a dramatic change in our circumstances. He's spent 25 years climbing to the top, he'll have spent 18 months back at the bottom then bounce right back up again. Very strange.

For me, I volunteer locally and it was a reference given over the phone by a co-ordinator in this time zone which got me the job I'm in now.

It wasn't my reason for volunteering, it's something I've done for years where ever we've been, but it differentiated me from the other applicants. My boss has since told me, if I was willing to work that hard for nothing - I'd be a real work horse with a salary to motivate me.

A verbal reference from someone with a kiwi accent goes a long way over here, and volunteering is a great way to network.

Good luck
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember that kiwi's returning find it hard as well, I have been here (UK) for 8 years and the biggest difficulty for me when I return WILL be my lack of recent kiwi experience. I know it's not the same but still anxiety provoking.

If there were two applicants with the same qualifications one kiwi who has only worked in NZ and me. I would understand why they would go for the other applicant.

Do keep plugging away, it does pay off in the end. Look in the update section a guy called ble (I think) he was really at the end of his tether but got there in the end!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.