Reload this Page >

Finding employment

Finding employment

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Lauramitchell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding employment

Hi everyone
My family and I have decided that NZ is for us. We have sold our property along with all our assets to make the move to NZ. We are flying from the UK on 11th August to Aukland. We are planning to spend a week in the north and then go to the south. We are not sure where we want to make our base we are hoping our time on both islands with help us decide.
We really want to be able to settle and also settle my son ASAP.
In order to pally for the visa we will need a job offer.
We have engaged with migration associates who have informed us that we are able to complete the visa process in NZ if we have a job offer as they already have all our documents ready to send.
It would be great to have your hints, tips with regards to accommodation, places to visit, north and South Island and the most importantly job opportunities without a visa. My husband is a steel fixer and I am a health and safety advisor.
I look forward to receiving your welcomed responses.
Laura
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 7:14 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding employment

Hi Laura and welcome!

Couple of quick questions - what if you and your husband either a) can't find work or b) it takes you a long time to get work? Do you have a plan b if this happens? Just to clarify - it's not possible to get a job without a visa or get a visa without a job offer (as you probably know!)The only way it can be done is if either of you are on a skills shortage list or are coming over on some kind of business visa...

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 22nd 2016 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Laura and welcome!

Couple of quick questions - what if you and your husband either a) can't find work or b) it takes you a long time to get work? Do you have a plan b if this happens? Just to clarify - it's not possible to get a job without a visa or get a visa without a job offer (as you probably know!)The only way it can be done is if either of you are on a skills shortage list or are coming over on some kind of business visa...
Hi thank you for getting back so quickly. I have booked a return ticket for a couple of months later I think we would know by then if we have afiture in NZ. My job is however on the skills shortage list so I am hoping this will go into our favour. I need a job offer to secure my visa. I have thought about opening a business and this is something that I will also look into when we arrive as I need to establish what will and won't work in my own mind.
Do you think I'm mad? We have our hearts set on NZ. I was hoping that with us coming it would show commitment to future employers.
How long have you been in NZ I would be interested in your story.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 9:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lauramitchell
I have thought about opening a business and this is something that I will also look into when we arrive as I need to establish what will and won't work in my own mind.
their are quite some strict requirements to gain this, proven track record of a similar business being run by you. at $100,000. that has to remain in tack so more money to actually run the business. You need a solid business plan. this is a temp visa and you have to show a certain level of growth to be able to apply for a more permanent visa.

Do I think you are mad, no if you don't try you won't know and as you seem to have some money from the sale of your property it does mean you have a way back into the UK if you cannot obtain a visa, but of course you may have difficulty getting back on the property ladder/job sector in the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Blimey that's a fair amount of cash.
I have recently read that NZ have introduced a new rule in April to ensure employers employ and explore all local labour first before going to overseas candidates. Although I think this is a good thing for NZ residents it's not helping my cause #sadface
Is there particular areas where there are more opportunities than others?
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Employment opportunities rather depend on what the occupation is.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 10:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey that's a fair amount of cash.
I have recently read that NZ have introduced a new rule in April to ensure employers employ and explore all local labour first before going to overseas candidates. Although I think this is a good thing for NZ residents it's not helping my cause #sadface
Is there particular areas where there are more opportunities than others?
Particular areas? do you mean in occupation or region of country. Not all employees have to look internally before they can offer, accredited companies have been through the process and pay to be accredited so they are free to offer a job to whatever candidate they feel would fit the role best.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:21 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thank you for getting back so quickly. I have booked a return ticket for a couple of months later I think we would know by then if we have afiture in NZ. My job is however on the skills shortage list so I am hoping this will go into our favour. I need a job offer to secure my visa. I have thought about opening a business and this is something that I will also look into when we arrive as I need to establish what will and won't work in my own mind.
Do you think I'm mad? We have our hearts set on NZ. I was hoping that with us coming it would show commitment to future employers.
How long have you been in NZ I would be interested in your story.
No worries!

I wouldn't say you're mad as such! Perhaps it would have been better to keep your house in the UK until you've obtained jobs and visa's. Otherwise you may be faced with the situation where you can't get jobs or visa's and then have to return to start all over again in the UK. That will take its toll emotionally and financially.

On the plus side health and safety rules have just gone through major change here in NZ. Systems have been overhauled, which is making lots of work for companies so you may find some work. I would definitely read up on this before you go for interviews - look at why the rules changed, when the rules changed and what industries are most affected. Maybe say the new system overhaul attracted you to look for work in NZ, you know a new challenge kind of thing and that's what drew you to NZ. Check out:

Health & safety reform | Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 | Worksafe

http://www.hianz.net.nz/Resources/Do...ill%202015.pdf

On the other plus side actually being in NZ does count in your favour when applying for jobs. It can be difficult (but not impossible) to secure a job from the UK.

Well about me - we moved out 3.5 years ago now. We had much less at stake to be fair! It's just my partner and I with no house or assets to sell in the UK and no kids, so pretty straight forward for us. We had been to NZ on holiday as part of a backpacking trip, fell in love with the place and decided to move out permanently. My partner was/is on the skills shortage list and he was one of the lucky few that secured a job before moving out. Then we went down the skilled migrant route, which eventually lead to permanent residency. No regrets with the move, life is sweet

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 23rd 2016 at 5:27 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Employment opportunities rather depend on what the occupation is.
I am a health and safety advisor and my husband is a steel fixer.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 7:11 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

There will be more work in Chch for a steel fixer than Akl as larger builds are going up that require his skills. H&S in building hand in hand with the EQ rebuilding.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you. We are spending a week hopefully in by the bay of plenty and then flying to Chch.
Do you have any accommodation recommendations? we are trying to stay on a low budget as we don't know how long it will be until we can obtain a job offer so we need to be conservative.
Thank you for your help in advance
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Particular areas? do you mean in occupation or region of country. Not all employees have to look internally before they can offer, accredited companies have been through the process and pay to be accredited so they are free to offer a job to whatever candidate they feel would fit the role best.
Sounds a bit more promising. I mean region in terms of most job prospects. Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
No worries!

I wouldn't say you're mad as such! Perhaps it would have been better to keep your house in the UK until you've obtained jobs and visa's. Otherwise you may be faced with the situation where you can't get jobs or visa's and then have to return to start all over again in the UK. That will take its toll emotionally and financially.

On the plus side health and safety rules have just gone through major change here in NZ. Systems have been overhauled, which is making lots of work for companies so you may find some work. I would definitely read up on this before you go for interviews - look at why the rules changed, when the rules changed and what industries are most affected. Maybe say the new system overhaul attracted you to look for work in NZ, you know a new challenge kind of thing and that's what drew you to NZ. Check out:

Health & safety reform | Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 | Worksafe

http://www.hianz.net.nz/Resources/Do...ill%202015.pdf

On the other plus side actually being in NZ does count in your favour when applying for jobs. It can be difficult (but not impossible) to secure a job from the UK.

Well about me - we moved out 3.5 years ago now. We had much less at stake to be fair! It's just my partner and I with no house or assets to sell in the UK and no kids, so pretty straight forward for us. We had been to NZ on holiday as part of a backpacking trip, fell in love with the place and decided to move out permanently. My partner was/is on the skills shortage list and he was one of the lucky few that secured a job before moving out. Then we went down the skilled migrant route, which eventually lead to permanent residency. No regrets with the move, life is sweet
Thank you. x
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any accommodation recommendations? we are trying to stay on a low budget as we don't know how long it will be until we can obtain a job offer so we need to be conservative.
Thank you for your help in advance
When my family and I came over to visit earlier this year, we stayed in one of the chalets at the ChCh Top 10, it's about 10 mins from the airport and only a short drive into the CBD. Prices were not too bad either. Other than that, use something like Booking.com (other sites are available) to look at some Motels.

Last edited by Bobogib; Jun 23rd 2016 at 11:27 am. Reason: actually putting where we stayed
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 6:57 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobogib
When my family and I came over to visit earlier this year, we stayed in one of the chalets at the ChCh Top 10, it's about 10 mins from the airport and only a short drive into the CBD. Prices were not too bad either. Other than that, use something like Booking.com (other sites are available) to look at some Motels.
This is on a city centre bus route No 28 easy travel or try

Jailhouse Accommodation - Christchurch's Best Hostel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.