Reload this Page >

Finding after a month in the uk

Finding after a month in the uk

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finding after a month in the uk

Originally Posted by scrutinizer
On the issue of NZ food prices, is it affordable to eat out as much as people do in the UK?
As you can see, everyone will have their own experience, perspective and MO.

My short answer would be a resounding no. I would also state that for us we find the assorted offerings very samey & rather unexciting.

In contrast to Princess Buttercup's experience, I am actually very disappointed at the fish/seafood on offer here. It was one of the things I really honestly thought would be right up there & for me , that hasn't been the case at all.

Every person's mileage differs.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't do brunch regularly in the UK mostly because it was just Greggs type fare or a fry up. Literally asked for hollandaise on my eggs at one cafe in Loughborough (where we lived at the time) and they told me the chef didn't know how to make that - did I want brown sauce instead? Since this was about the third cafe we'd tried, my husband made us brunch pretty much every weekend thereafter for nine years. We can and do pay for good service and good food, that enables peeps to pay a living wage to their staff and market rates to the farmers etc who supply the raw ingredients. From what I've seen since I've got back from the UK people in Dunedin can and do pay what we pay for yummy food, pleasant surroundings and good service.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Your choice entirely if you wish to support the local economy spending $50 a week for eggs or avocado on a bit of bread but based on the question of whether is it affordable to eat out as much as people do in the UK; then the answer is quite simply no in my opinion. For the equivalent of fifty bucks or twenty five quid that you pay in any regular cafe here, I could find you a mighty fine breakfast for two at any one of a number of high end / fine dining establishments in central London for the same price.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Your choice entirely if you wish to support the local economy spending $50 a week for eggs or avocado on a bit of bread but based on the question of whether is it affordable to eat out as much as people do in the UK; then the answer is quite simply no in my opinion.
The packed cafes and restaurants in Auckland, Wellington and other cities prove otherwise. Auckland is one of the best dining cities in the region, your lifestyle choices different but plenty of people enjoy good food.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
For the equivalent of fifty bucks or twenty five quid that you pay in any regular cafe here, I could find you a mighty fine breakfast for two at any one of a number of high end / fine dining establishments in central London for the same price.
And their breakfast would be fairly average, not sure what your point is, $50 would get you a breakfast for two at most high-end places here, and as I said above prices are generally equivalent or cheaper here, prove me wrong if you can.

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

We use to eat out quite often when we were in Auckland but we were better off financially.Now we are in London and even with a good wage coming in there is no way we can eat out more than once a month.I am not talking the Ivy here,more like Prezzo,GBK,Zizzi etc... mid range restaurant chains.We would be completely broke otherwise.I just know 2 families that go out for meals weekly and a lot of end up on the credit card...I refuse to live like that.I don't think I could sleep at night! We were in Auckland a couple of months ago for holidays and I didn't see much difference price-wise regarding coffee shops and restaurants.Food at the supermarkets was more or less the same ,we shop at Costco,Lidl,Sainsburys and Waitrose to keep the food budget in check.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 10:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a month in UK myself. We have found cost of food is lower with higher quality than PaknSave, almost the first comment to come out of the kids mouths was how cheap it was and that was a local corner shop.
We are travelling around the country from London, Scotland down to Somerset then London, with cities in between and I must say what a beautiful country it is. Yes, it has its rough areas, see some of Glasgow, like every country. The weather has been fantastic, a bit too hot at times but apparently these temps will become the norm over the next few years.
After leaving in NZ for 7 years and basically seeing more off that than I ever did of UK, I would recommend everyone before coming over to NZ to explore the UK first as its a long way and costs a lot to get back to to see the diversity and history of the UK. You may well see in my blurb to the left that I say I miss castles, this was not done recently because of our tiki tour home but done within a year of arrival in NZ. History of this kind is hard to find
Old Jul 6th 2018, 11:28 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Duplicate post

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 8th 2018 at 8:55 am.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 11:28 pm

Interesting comment from a friend I caught up with, that moved back to UK, "it's easier being poor in the UK"
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Interesting comment from a friend I caught up with, that moved back to UK, "it's easier being poor in the UK"
I think that's a reversal from say 15-20 years ago, NZ used to be a place where it was easier being poor, you could still have a good lifestyle. The pressure of things like house prices and rental rates have really made it hard for a lot of people, it's a lot more competitive these days, lots more immigrants competing for those rentals and cheaper housing.