Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finding accommodation

Finding accommodation

Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Mahuac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding accommodation

Hi there, I'm hoping to move to Auckland in Jan ( waiting to hear the recruitment cycle). I'm going to be on my own and was wondering whether anyone else who has gone out on their own has sourced accommodation. Did you do it from the UK or once you were there.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding accommodation

Originally Posted by Mahuac
Hi there, I'm hoping to move to Auckland in Jan ( waiting to hear the recruitment cycle). I'm going to be on my own and was wondering whether anyone else who has gone out on their own has sourced accommodation. Did you do it from the UK or once you were there.
Hi
If meaning semi permanent accommodation, I wouldn't source solely from the internet (trade me's the obvious source) as you really need to visit the area and have an idea of the commute involved. Also the standard ain't great, so you could easily end of with a real dive without checking out in advance. When I came I stayed in a backpackers while I looked for accomm.

When you start looking, apart from sometimes the dearth of decent rentals, you be able to move in relatively quickly, there's little formalities. However presuming you bringing house contents with you, you'd have to wait for thise too.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Mahuac is an unknown quantity at this point

that's great, thankyou for that.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

However, you cant sign up for Trade Me until you are in NZ
I am looking for places in Welly for October when i get there. I tried joining but IP addresses from outside NZ are blocked for security reasons

So many places on trade me but i'll have to sign up when i'm there

Gumtree NZ also lists a few places
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
However, you cant sign up for Trade Me until you are in NZ
I am looking for places in Welly for October when i get there. I tried joining but IP addresses from outside NZ are blocked for security reasons

So many places on trade me but i'll have to sign up when i'm there

Gumtree NZ also lists a few places
Why do you need to sign up? You can look at all the properties without signing up and it gives contact details for the Real Estate offices .
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Why do you need to sign up? You can look at all the properties without signing up and it gives contact details for the Real Estate offices .
i was looking at flatshares and i dont think you can contact the people advertising

correct me if i'm wrong
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:11 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

You're wrong.
Plenty of ads have contact numbers for advertisers.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
You're wrong.
Plenty of ads have contact numbers for advertisers.
true, but a lot dont
and those are the ones i like the look of at the moment

and i cant do anything about them
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:16 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Much as it grates me to help a bloody gooner, if you do find a property you're really keen on, send me the listing number and I can try to get contact details for you.
Should be easy enough to pass your email address on.

We used bookaback for our first week while we looked for a short term furnished rental, stayed there til we found a house to buy, just left the boxes in the garage.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Much as it grates me to help a bloody gooner, if you do find a property you're really keen on, send me the listing number and I can try to get contact details for you.
Should be easy enough to pass your email address on.

We used bookaback for our first week while we looked for a short term furnished rental, stayed there til we found a house to buy, just left the boxes in the garage.
LOL
thank you very much
i'll let you know nearer the time as its a bit early to contact people. End of September is when i need to start looking more seriously

Are you a Spurs fan?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:40 pm
HAPPY AS...

Gave up on football, seems a bit pointless now the teams are all foreigners, can't go to watch and there's they joy of the many levels of rugby here.
The reason I'm so anti the Arse is I was a Wednesday fan, you'll understand I'm sure.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Gave up on football, seems a bit pointless now the teams are all foreigners, can't go to watch and there's they joy of the many levels of rugby here.
The reason I'm so anti the Arse is I was a Wednesday fan, you'll understand I'm sure.
Andy Linighan scoring in the cup final was my first memory of club football
Thats the moment i supported Arsenal. No idea why as i'm from the Midlands, but i've stuck with Le Arsenal since 1993, when i was a little 7 year old
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Try these for flatting:

http://www.easyroommate.co.nz/

http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/flatting-101

http://www.flatfinder.co.nz/

Will perhaps give you an idea of what's about!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
Fox, you are a legend
great links!

sorry for totally hijacking this thread