Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Financing the move / fact-finding trip

Financing the move / fact-finding trip

Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:09 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Financing the move / fact-finding trip

OK, how's everyone else doing it?

We're saving saving saving each month. From the US, in April or October, it will cost us US $1,400 each return from Chicago to Auckland (via LA). In the Kiwi Summer it would cost $2K each! So we're not going in high-season...

I just got my half-yearly statement for share purchases through my company's share purchase scheme, and was pleasantly surprised, at only putting 1% of my pay towards it, how much I'd get if they sold them for me. Enough to buy two of our tickets for our 3-week holiday (/fact-finding trip if we love the place - holiday if we discover quickly it's not the place for us to live), plus a few hundred bucks left over, enough for some of the car rental.

Assuming we do the actual move, we'll be doing lots of consolidating, and shipping cheaply. To be honest, most of our money will have to come from the sale of our house. We have over US $100K in equity for what it would sell for, but anticipate putting the vast majority down on a house, fingers crossed. I just wish we were disciplined enough to save more... our pockets seem to sprout holes when we're feeling flush.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financing the move / fact-finding trip

We're funding our move through our house sale! We own most of our house now (paid cash for most of it from profit of selling first house) so once we pay back our mortgage, we'll walk away with about £65000 cash yay - we've allocated £10k of this on flights out, removals, resettlement fees and expenses for first month etc etc!

The rest ... mmmmm could go shopping But seriously, the money will probably be used as back up until hubby gets a job and then as a deposit on a house!

Well thats us anyhoo !!!

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Lucky you!
We sold our house 6 months or so before moving, we then used some of the profit to pay for 6 months rent on another house, about 5K on getting married and honeymoon, about 2k on daughter school (couldn't get her into the state school, no room ) a fair bit on a jolly in HK as my sis lived there, a fair bit on renting a beautiful house with sea views when we got here, NZ5k on a car, then neither of us worked for 9 months so we had lots of time to explore and spend! So now we finally buy a house with hardly any deposit
But we had a whale of a time. Oh, and we didn't bring anything with us so we started again from scratch!
Didn't have fact finding trip, I have to admit to being a bit ignorant about the country before we came. The first time we went to the west coast, hubs said, 'oh look, it's such a clear day you can see the Australia coast' and then cracked up laughing as I was squinting looking out to sea expecting to see it
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

We financed initial move by cashing in the endowment policy, but looked for work straight away, which was back in march

and finally after selling our uk house in october, we have financed the deposit on a house here and paying back a loan on a car which we took out, still have money in the bank for a rainy day/emergency etc
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
OK, how's everyone else doing it?

We're saving saving saving each month. From the US, in April or October, it will cost us US $1,400 each return from Chicago to Auckland (via LA). In the Kiwi Summer it would cost $2K each! So we're not going in high-season...

I just got my half-yearly statement for share purchases through my company's share purchase scheme, and was pleasantly surprised, at only putting 1% of my pay towards it, how much I'd get if they sold them for me. Enough to buy two of our tickets for our 3-week holiday (/fact-finding trip if we love the place - holiday if we discover quickly it's not the place for us to live), plus a few hundred bucks left over, enough for some of the car rental.

Assuming we do the actual move, we'll be doing lots of consolidating, and shipping cheaply. To be honest, most of our money will have to come from the sale of our house. We have over US $100K in equity for what it would sell for, but anticipate putting the vast majority down on a house, fingers crossed. I just wish we were disciplined enough to save more... our pockets seem to sprout holes when we're feeling flush.
We didnt go on a fact finding trip, and I was lucky anough to get a job offer with assistance towards relocation. I adds up very quickly though....
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:08 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

If we do it, we will be mortgage/debt free

But will only have an income of about $50,000NZ until I get a job. So will be hard at first then when I get a job it should good times
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
If we do it, we will be mortgage/debt free

But will only have an income of about $50,000NZ until I get a job. So will be hard at first then when I get a job it should good times

To right! No mortgage...wow, must be a nice feeling!
Just need to get here now
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:24 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
To right! No mortgage...wow, must be a nice feeling!
Just need to get here now
Yeah it will be. But we will have a drastic pay cut

But its not about that for us. Its so our kids can ......... well thats another thread
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah it will be. But we will have a drastic pay cut

But its not about that for us. Its so our kids can ......... well thats another thread
I know what you are saying...there's plenty more to life than earning a big wage.
Where are you living now?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:44 pm
Banned

I know what you are saying...there's plenty more to life than earning a big wage.
Where are you living now?
Lush Mansfield, Notts
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh gawd. Sorry, do not have very fond memories of Notts! Just the town we lived in for a year...Worksop, it was awful.
Wont say too much more, would hate to offend anyone from that part of the world, but just one thing, it was whilst living there and working in Sheffield that we decided to move here!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:59 pm
Banned

it was whilst living there and working in Sheffield that we decided to move here!
It will have that affect

Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

It will have that affect

Just posting this pic of the reserve outside our house, it is smallish but right outside our back gate, our little bit off heaven
Attached Thumbnails Financing the move / fact-finding trip-sd-004.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:23 pm
Banned

Here's my 2 when we where in Egypt a fortnight ago
Attached Thumbnails Financing the move / fact-finding trip-kids.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

gorgeous Jack, they look like they are loving it!
I bet you have a fun time with them, they have a cute look of mischief about them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.